2014/15 Tiger XCX 800

The Things We Ride
Elmer J Fudd

Re: 2014/15 Tiger XCX 800

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Hi,

I had a Tiger 800 XRT for a couple of years and did a few trips around europe on it. This year down to Italy and over the St Bernard pass, before meandering around Switzerland and france. Ultimately I became seduced by the new BMW R1250RS (NOT GS), so it is away. A good bike, but for me not a keeper.

Motorway speeds will be fine on it, and a bit of speed actually suit the engine.

Front brakes are fine too, but as they are sliding calpers, they need to be looked after a bit more to keep them tip-top. Back brake is rather good too.

Biggest problem for me was the screen, I couldn't get on with the standard one until I added a deflector and played with the permutations of positions. Finally got it so it didn't rattle my head around...

Mirrors were a bit temperamental too, loosing off completely when trying to adjust then flapping around (though could have been me...)

Fried legs (not frogs, but mine) were a pain when running at low speed <80KPH in hot weather.

No bike is perfect, but the Tiger is close. When the new version comes out next year second hand prices may drop a little, so maybe wait and see.

Return to “BIKES”