Africa Twin for road riding only - opinions?

The Things We Ride
SHarper

Re: Africa Twin for road riding only - opinions?

Post by SHarper »

Scott_rider wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:57 am ...I just want one with a bit of 'fizz' to satisfy my red mist moments... :oops:
I’ve always thought that the Africa Twin lacked ‘road presence’, they’re a bit “Meh”.

If you're looking for a bit of ‘fizz’, there are much better bikes out there, but it’d be boring if we all liked the same things.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

What's everyone's thoughts on using the Africa Twin for road riding only?
I've only ever seen a muddy one on the internet :D
Its a trick............get an Axe
RandG

Post by RandG »

Scott_rider wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:57 am
Yep. That's been my thinking too. I just want one with a bit of 'fizz' to satisfy my red mist moments... :oops:

Then it's not the bike for you, you'd be better off with an XR or Multistrada.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

RandG wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:42 pm
Yep. That's been my thinking too. I just want one with a bit of 'fizz' to satisfy my red mist moments... :oops:

Ducati, if you can afford the servicing, KTM if not - Simples
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

redbikejohn wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:01 pm Adventure bikes on the road make a load of sence. Comfortable, nice and tall to see over cars, able to bounce over curbs and can handle the broken roads better than street bikes.
Lol with your record of being caught in those moments I'd thought you'd have seen sence by now! Which is why I stick to the xt660z - just not enough oomph to get into serious trouble......cos you know my background 🤪😳🤫🤫
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

Personally I think a AT will be absolutely fine as a road only bike, as stated above a majority will never see more adventure dirt than a bit of December spray going round the M25.

Todays bikes tend to get pigeon holed into ever increasing sub categories, it was not that long ago where the big rags would say that a trail bike was a exceptional commuter because of the height etc now it is made out like you need 5 bikes for every possible situation.

I think in the end it comes down to budget, and test ride factor as to what bike you feel works. Certainly the KTM will have a bit more power and dare I say soul but then I know of more than one person that has had never ending issues with everything from ecu fuck ups to fork seals going everytime the bike hits a rock, granted they do a bit of extended touring but at that price I would expect a bit better.

Either get up to the NEC and swing a leg over some models then get some test rides booked as others have said and personal opinions are about as worthwhile as a chocolate tea pot when it comes to bikes, some people think something from the 1970s is all you need others want a all singing and dancing button fest of options and rider modes.

Also remember this is the UK, a place with ever decreasing road quality with ever increasing Police oppression where what was once a fairly minor offence of speed will now see you in a jail cell, buying a bike on how fast it is does not even come into the equation for me now personally...

Just my worthless 2p worth..
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Flipflop wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:44 pm All my mates that came from sports bikes (age related change of style :D ) went for either a Ducati or KTM with a 19” front wheel - they only ride on the road.
They are all very happy with their choices.
I completely agree.

Personally (ay say personally) the 21" front wheel is horrible on the road if you want to push along. Spoilt the 800GS for me, the front wheel was too big and too thin.

Also I find parallel twins very dull; V twins are the way to go.

I didn't like the KTM for various reasons (that's just me) but the Ducati MS950 rips along, all day comfortable. My avatar (at time of typing) is me on the Nurburgring :D The 18,000 mile service is around £900 though :o
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Within the legal limit we should all do our best to stay within ;) even my 690 Enduro on knobblies was brilliant fun on the road so pretty much anything with a decent frame is probably ok. Mind you, the tank slappers on hard overtaking were ‘interesting’ to say the least. Much better on dual sport tyres.

The way we are now, decent suspension and tyres that cope with our horrendous roads are probably more important than wheel size.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Trev

Post by Trev »

I've a 2016 DCT AT which is used almost exclusively on the road (it has Pirelli Scorpion 'road' tyres fitted) with the odd excursion on dry tracks in the Summer. I use it mainly for Winter/wet weather bike and long trips and it works well, for most of the time, for me. It certainly ain't quick but the superb suspension, upright riding position and DCT allows deceptively quick progress to be made, it will just about top 120 but is best 70 -90 where it has a bit in reserve. I ride mainly B roads and smaller, twistier A roads and the suspension and tyres combine to make a great bike on the crappy road surfaces we enjoy. It's hugely enjoyable getting out for 4 - 5 hours on a wet and crappy Sunday and exploring lanes and less used roads with the knowledge the the bike you're riding will be able to handle pretty much anything that you come across.
The handling is well up to all but very spirited road work and although the 21" front makes it a little slower to turn in, if we;re all honest, that rarely makes any difference on the road, I circulated quite happily in the IAM Skills 'fast' group at Thruxton, easily keeping up with the more powerful bikes (they all were) and working my way past many. Wouldn't be a lot of good on a 'real' track day but you've chosen the wrong bike if that's your thing.
For what it's worth, with the right tyres it would make a pretty decent stab at steady off roading, the standing position and narrow waist makes it feel like a 'proper' dirt bike, or as close as I've been on, and the power is more than ample, again for my meagre needs. As always a quarter tonne bike will never be the best choice for off roading.
So far it's been pretty cheap to run, 50mpg is easy to get, 45 if you wring it's neck, 60 if you ride like a vicar, second service was done quite reasonably at Honda garage (it still had a years warranty left when I got it) but since then I've done oil, filters, brakes, tyres myself but will get local bike mechanic to do top end check next year as I can't be faffed at the price he's quoted. Rugged roads to loads of reasonably priced add ons (if that's your thing) + most of the common spares you'll need, great knowledge and service from them.
Best of all it's got that Honda utility feel about it, not a bike to love (I've got a Griso for that) but has the use and forget charm of your favourite sweatshirt ;)

Try the DCT for a good long stint before you dismiss it, it may surprise you
Ron3005

Post by Ron3005 »

RandG wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:42 pm

Then it's not the bike for you, you'd be better off with an XR or Multistrada.
What a load of rubbish I've got the sport dct get it on sports mode it would be able to satisfy you're red mist moment . You're best having a test ride with the bikes you like and go from there . You'll get a lot of advice from people that haven't even rode one so I wouldn't even ask .

Return to “BIKES”