KTM 390 adventure

The Things We Ride
catcitrus

Re: KTM 390 adventure

Post by catcitrus »

I really think that trying to spec it to cope with serious hard trail work is missing the point--it would end up as too expensive and too tall--and only suit a small number of dedicated offroaders. Judging by the kind of bikes that people ride around the world and on the TET etc I think it would be just fine--and as Minky said get people into the idea of a do it all at a good low price. I would also reiterate the fact that its NOT aimed at the UK trail market but rather the US and vast Asian market--and as I said I think would cope well with a tyre change on most dirt roads. The BMW 310 GS has had little impact here in the UK but has done well in the US where its probably equivalent to about 3.5 k based on their level of earnings etc--very easy to see why it would get people on to a bit of dirt--and in the US you have to do some road miles to get to the dirt in the first place.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Monster wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:35 pm I think that CCM slayed themselves at bit in the meantime LOL

Sure some may not agree ... but imagine plenty will

Lots of 450s for sale and not moving
been nowt wrong with my ccm in me 6th year now no intention of selling it ......its still probably the best /or only attempt made by any manufacturer for near two decades .. its a pain in the ass at times but been pretty solid in 1200 hours running

they made 400 in three years ...and sold 200 spitfires in one weekend ...point being it shows the way the market is ..when ktm dumb down their offereings and cop out to the softer emd of the market its quite a telling statement

i bet yams T7 outsells the pr7 at 1000 units to one ..... there lyes the problem i think ..no demand

o were looking forward to it being summet special .. being from ktm but i feel they have copped out to the mass market as there really no demand for the unicorn :?:

the writing is on the wall for all duel sport bikes i reakon :shock: :shock:
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

catcitrus wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:02 pm I really think that trying to spec it to cope with serious hard trail work is missing the point--it would end up as too expensive and too tall--and only suit a small number of dedicated offroaders. Judging by the kind of bikes that people ride around the world and on the TET etc I think it would be just fine--and as Minky said get people into the idea of a do it all at a good low price. I would also reiterate the fact that its NOT aimed at the UK trail market but rather the US and vast Asian market--and as I said I think would cope well with a tyre change on most dirt roads. The BMW 310 GS has had little impact here in the UK but has done well in the US where its probably equivalent to about 3.5 k based on their level of earnings etc--very easy to see why it would get people on to a bit of dirt--and in the US you have to do some road miles to get to the dirt in the first place.
Spot on...

For my take on it the 390 Adventure is being aimed at the Asian market as was stated, esp the newly rich in India where the current crop of 390s are built, KTM have also branched out to a plant in the Philippines but currently KTM prices in said country are still very very high when compared to local average salary.

For these markets they probably have the spec just right when comparing prestige of the brand and final RRP, I think the spec is slightly wrong for the European market but obviously people have and will argue that fact.

For the type of trails we have in the UK certainly more suspension is advantageous but honestly I have seen people on all sorts getting down the lanes, if we had down right poor third world roads (Granted in some places we do) and fire roads for miles as you have in Asia, India, and the USA a smaller bike with a 70/30 road bias will do fine. I am not so sure that is the case here? and I think that is the reason why I have never seen a GS310 on the road or at any bike meet for that matter.

Riding a bike off road down a typical green lane in mid wales is not the same as the wide open gravel and hard pack you get from Alaska to Arizona on any number of routes.

I will be very interested to have a chat with the guys at the NEC and also see what the sales figures are like over the coming year or so for the UK market.

EDIT: I would say however that I would like to get my leg over a RE Himalayan, if people are already talking about upgrades on the 390 one's money will go far further if the RE is a direct comparison esp being 1500 wingwangs cheaper and it currently has a fair bit of YouTube exposure with Itchy boots..
Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

minkyhead wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:48 pm
Monster wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:35 pm I think that CCM slayed themselves at bit in the meantime LOL

Sure some may not agree ... but imagine plenty will

Lots of 450s for sale and not moving
been nowt wrong with my ccm in me 6th year now no intention of selling it ......its still probably the best /or only attempt made by any manufacturer for near two decades .. its a pain in the ass at times but been pretty solid in 1200 hours running

they made 400 in three years ...and sold 200 spitfires in one weekend ...point being it shows the way the market is ..when ktm dumb down their offereings and cop out to the softer emd of the market its quite a telling statement

i bet yams T7 outsells the pr7 at 1000 units to one ..... there lyes the problem i think ..no demand

o were looking forward to it being summet special .. being from ktm but i feel they have copped out to the mass market as there really no demand for the unicorn :?:

the writing is on the wall for all duel sport bikes i reakon :shock: :shock:
I'd agree that, just like it was for sportsbikes in the recent past and naked bikes before that. Something else will come along and be the next new thing.

Me, I'll stick with my CRF250 Rally, one of the better bikes I've owned in years, notwithstanding the lack of power. Makes me smile as much as my old Ducati 998S used to.
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub

Return to “BIKES”