best alp?

The Things We Ride
User avatar
garyboy
Posts: 2747
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm
Location: Pontypridd
Has thanked: 1162 times
Been thanked: 485 times

Re: best alp?

Post by garyboy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:46 pm

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:53 pm
From my time in South Wales TRF I recall 2 or 3 people getting Freerides when they first came out, and having all kinds of problems with them (everything from brakes to airfilters) plus poor range. I think they all got moved on quite quickly.

Newer models may be better
yes .. I remember that Richard .. I was a bit wary of the freeride because of this .. but reviews seems good??

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
User avatar
garyboy
Posts: 2747
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm
Location: Pontypridd
Has thanked: 1162 times
Been thanked: 485 times

Re: best alp?

Post by garyboy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:48 pm

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:55 pm
The 200 Alp is the one that seems to get used in LDTs, rather than the 350.

But if you are looking to use it on the road as well, rather than trailer it, the 350 would be far better.
my thinking too, Richard

Hugh
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:54 pm
Has thanked: 294 times
Been thanked: 388 times

Re: best alp?

Post by Hugh » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:35 pm

Greetings,

As you probably know I have a Serow 225 (disc brakes model) and an Alp 4.0.

The Serow is really my favourite of the two being lighter, lower and the one I use in the Airedale Trial. The Beta is great but top heavier and not as nimble on tight turns. They are both brilliant bikes, economical to run, easy to maintain and only sip petrol. The big advantage of the Beta is that it can maintain higher tarmac road speeds over the Serow. The Suzuki engine and transmission are legendary for longevity.

The Alp 200 seems like a modern version of the Serow, slightly higher ground clearance and quite popular in LDT so it is a case of pay your money and take your pick. Depends where you plan to most ride, all bikes are of course a compromise.

Try to find folks who will let you ride theirs to get a feel for what you really need rather than fancy. I live near Stockport and mostly ride in the Peak District, if you want to meet up sometime you could ride my bikes.

TTFN

Hugh.

User avatar
garyboy
Posts: 2747
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm
Location: Pontypridd
Has thanked: 1162 times
Been thanked: 485 times

Re: best alp?

Post by garyboy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:52 am

Hugh wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:35 pm
Greetings,

As you probably know I have a Serow 225 (disc brakes model) and an Alp 4.0.

The Serow is really my favourite of the two being lighter, lower and the one I use in the Airedale Trial. The Beta is great but top heavier and not as nimble on tight turns. They are both brilliant bikes, economical to run, easy to maintain and only sip petrol. The big advantage of the Beta is that it can maintain higher tarmac road speeds over the Serow. The Suzuki engine and transmission are legendary for longevity.

The Alp 200 seems like a modern version of the Serow, slightly higher ground clearance and quite popular in LDT so it is a case of pay your money and take your pick. Depends where you plan to most ride, all bikes are of course a compromise.

Try to find folks who will let you ride theirs to get a feel for what you really need rather than fancy. I live near Stockport and mostly ride in the Peak District, if you want to meet up sometime you could ride my bikes.

TTFN

Hugh.


interesting that you feel the alp350 is a bit top heavy, Hugh.
I had the same feeling, come to think of it, with my old DR350.

Thankyou for your kind offer of a trial ride
tho south wales is a bit far away?

still confused and undecided .. but its just theory at the moment, anyway.

Hoggyf
Posts: 512
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:18 am
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: best alp?

Post by Hoggyf » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:34 pm

I've got a Montesa 4RT and a Scorpa T-ride and had a Beta Alp 4.0 previously as well as a Kawasaki Super Sherpa as I'm a short arse and struggle with full size enduro bikes so my thoughts are:-
Super Sherpa - good bike, very old school but good on road, didn't have it long and didn't get much chance to use off road but the suspension is definitely old school, comfy seat though! Good for 65/70mph
Beta Alp - step up on every area to the Sherpa, better suspension, brakes etc, stronger engine and easy to ride on the road, heavy off road (compared to my 4RT everythings heavy) seat was uncomfortable but good for 80mph :shock:
Scorpa T-ride250F - As powerful in feeling as the Alp, a damn sight lighter than the Alp and easier to ride off road accordingly, good lock on it, a lot more "flighty" than the Alp but I'm going to guess its maybe a steeper headstock from the trials background?? about 65mph is as fast as you want to go on it, seats shocking. Oh and its leccy start and kick start, bonus!!

What I've been searching for is, low seat, light, has the high speed control of an enduro and the low speed flickability of my 4RT but I doubt I'll ever find that. The Scorpa is as good as I'll get for now I think, but saying that I haven't tried the Freeride or the new GasGas Ranger but I'd quite like to.
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315

User avatar
garyboy
Posts: 2747
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm
Location: Pontypridd
Has thanked: 1162 times
Been thanked: 485 times

Re: best alp?

Post by garyboy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:44 pm

Hoggyf wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:34 pm
I've got a Montesa 4RT and a Scorpa T-ride and had a Beta Alp 4.0 previously as well as a Kawasaki Super Sherpa as I'm a short arse and struggle with full size enduro bikes so my thoughts are:-
Super Sherpa - good bike, very old school but good on road, didn't have it long and didn't get much chance to use off road but the suspension is definitely old school, comfy seat though! Good for 65/70mph
Beta Alp - step up on every area to the Sherpa, better suspension, brakes etc, stronger engine and easy to ride on the road, heavy off road (compared to my 4RT everythings heavy) seat was uncomfortable but good for 80mph :shock:
Scorpa T-ride250F - As powerful in feeling as the Alp, a damn sight lighter than the Alp and easier to ride off road accordingly, good lock on it, a lot more "flighty" than the Alp but I'm going to guess its maybe a steeper headstock from the trials background?? about 65mph is as fast as you want to go on it, seats shocking. Oh and its leccy start and kick start, bonus!!

What I've been searching for is, low seat, light, has the high speed control of an enduro and the low speed flickability of my 4RT but I doubt I'll ever find that. The Scorpa is as good as I'll get for now I think, but saying that I haven't tried the Freeride or the new GasGas Ranger but I'd quite like to.


brilliant comparative info, Hoggy …. much appreciated :D 8-)

User avatar
garyboy
Posts: 2747
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm
Location: Pontypridd
Has thanked: 1162 times
Been thanked: 485 times

Re: best alp?

Post by garyboy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:22 pm

so far ..

1.1a .. gasgas ranger
1a .. beta Xtrainer 300 2T
1. KTM Freeride, 250.
2. KTM exc250F.
3. Honda montessa cota 250. ??? .. [may be too small, like a trials bike]?? ..[ low weight is very appealing]
3a. Yamaha scorpa T ride.

4. beta alp 4, 350.
5. beta alp 2, 200.

6. Honda 125 cbf/xlxr ...
7. Sinnis 125 terrain

User avatar
garyboy
Posts: 2747
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm
Location: Pontypridd
Has thanked: 1162 times
Been thanked: 485 times

Re: best alp?

Post by garyboy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:29 pm

JB

you have experience of the both bikes that appeal to me .. (low weight. v. low grunt)

. montessa cota 4ride
. beta alp 4

how would you compare them, .. including riding to trails, technical trails, servicing, fuel economy, practicality etc

would much appreciate your opinion :)


garyboy

johnnyboxer
Posts: 7252
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:53 am
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 245 times

best alp?

Post by johnnyboxer » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:15 pm

garyboy wrote:JB

you have experience of the both bikes that appeal to me .. (low weight. v. low grunt)

. montessa cota 4ride
. beta alp 4

how would you compare them, .. including riding to trails, technical trails, servicing, fuel economy, practicality etc

would much appreciate your opinion :)


garyboy
Mmm
2 very different bikes
Beta Alp 4 - good engine, carb and air box and Suzuki electrics - easy engine maintenance and reliable
Rest of it was budget - frame/chassis and plastics couple to very budget suspension and once you went over 30 off road it got bouncy and dangerous
Very heavy

Montesa 4 Ride - very light and great engine - flexible and nice
Oil change is a bit protracted as you have to remove the gen cover to get to the oil filter
Air filter servicing is a palaver
Don't like deep water as the air intake is low (wading water higher than wheels)
Good suspension and fuel economy
65 mph is about top whack
Very cheap Honda spares - chainguard is about £3
Rear disc protector is £1.99
Rear disc is about £25
Side and tank panels are about £40 all in
Front mudguards are £25
Good bike - but more Trials than Trail but a lot use them for LDT events
We buy things we don't need



With money we don't have



To impress people we don't even like

User avatar
garyboy
Posts: 2747
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 pm
Location: Pontypridd
Has thanked: 1162 times
Been thanked: 485 times

Re: best alp?

Post by garyboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:46 am

Thank you for that, Johnny.

Very much appreciated 8-) 8-) 8-)

Post Reply

Return to “BIKES”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher, Majestic-12 [Bot], MSN [Bot] and 94 guests