Beta Alp 200

The Things We Ride
Coppice

Beta Alp 200

Post by Coppice »

Hi All,

I'd like some advice on a Beta Alp 200. I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on commuting 14 miles a day on one then using it to dabble in the odd trials/trails on a weekend? Is it realistic or is it just going to eat through wheel bearings/chain tensioners/tyres etc?

I'd like to avoid anything that is going to attract the wrong sort of attention so nothing to enduro/racy.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Beta Alp 200

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Assuming it's 7 miles each way, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, providing it's not on fast roads (only five-speeds).

If its 14 miles each way, and/or on fast roads then get the Alp 4.0 with the Suzuki DR350S engine.

One caveat...if you are tall, you may find the Alp's too physically small to be comfortable. When I tried an early Alp 4.0, I could not get comfortable on the seat, which was too close to the handlebars for my long legs. The later models look better in that respect, but try before you buy.

Both are brilliant trail bikes...although the 4.0 is quite heavy.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I had one and loved it!

Take your time, don't thrash it on the commute and it will be fine; I used mine on Sarn Helen, Strata Florida etc and it was great- won't keep up with the KTM thoroughbreds but like a plodding old donkey it will get you there in the end. Miss mine :(
RandG

Post by RandG »

If you put on trials tyres it will eat thru them doing 14 miles a day.
EWR

Post by EWR »

I've never ridden the 200 but my Alp 4.0 is fine on the road, where it is used for regular pottering when not green laning.

I'm 5'9" and find it surprisingly comfortable for 2-3 hours stints. It's no lightweight but is very easy to manage and there's plenty of poke, much more than the CRF250L that preceded it. It happily sits at 55-60 mph for 2-3 hours with very little vibration; it rides and handles very well. I find the clutch and throttle a little heavy but the fuelling is spot on and it's will go virtually anywhere off-road with very little need to work the gear box.

There's no ABS or other niceties and the standards tyres are off-road focused and so above 65mph the front wanders. But it starts on the button every time and I have racked up 900 miles in 3 months. Mine has the tiny Beta rack fitted so it's almost practical. Finish is OK, nothing's broken to date but some of fittings are rather fragile and under-engineered perhaps...hopefully that gives you a flavour.
Coppice

Post by Coppice »

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm around 5'10 so fairly average height wise.

Weight is a concern as ideally i'd like to hang it off the back of my van. The boot floor has been cut for a ramp so won't take a tow bar anymore but i occasionally sleep in the van so can't always put it inside.

I don't want to be changing tyres or have spare wheels so I guess i'd have to see what the local trials club rules are and try to find a compromise tyre.

I'm probably looking at used bikes anyway but Acklams Beta have suggested the 4.0 has been discontinued.
EWR

Post by EWR »

The Alp weights about 140k, similar to a CRF250L. I believe there are a few new bikes still available but I understand this years's batch was the last. The standard fit tyres are Vee Rubber VRM 211 (road -legal enduro) and they seem reasonably hard wearing and fine on the road: much less wear compared to the CRF's OEM IRC.
Coppice

Post by Coppice »

Collecting this at the weekend, any thing I should look for or check?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BETA-ALP-200 ... SwKhhdrC0b
MudFing

Post by MudFing »

That looks a minter! 8-) 8-)

I had one of the 200 models for a couple of years, used it for everything and it was bulletproof. My girlfriend also rode a dr200 (same engine) thousands of miles across Canada/Alaska with pretty much no issues.

That said, The front sprocket retaining bolt snapped on us in the middle of nowhere and left the end of the bolt in the shaft. Well worth taking the front sprocket off and making sure it's torqued up correctly/not too corroded - it's a dinky little bolt. I much prefer the 2 bolt or massive retaining nut used on other brands/models.
chipy

Post by chipy »

I have an earlier model 2002 reg. had no problems with it at all.
1980 rs100, 1986 DT50 mx, 1990 fj1200, 1998 zzr600, 2003 R1150r, 2007 G650Xcountry, 2012 Honda wave 110, 2014 Beta alp 4.0, 2014 Beta alp 200, 2020 xt1200z

Return to “BIKES”