MCN - Tenere 700 v KTM 790 Adventure R

The Things We Ride
qcnr

Re: MCN - Tenere 700 v KTM 790 Adventure R

Post by qcnr »

I tried the S version and wasn't dissappointed that I had bought a 690...
dave h

Post by dave h »

if ktm gid thee a goo on a proper bike wheer wood tha tek it, up shit creek, no you you potter around ont rooard,
behave thisen, buy summat els .
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

dave h wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:29 pm if ktm gid thee a goo on a proper bike wheer wood tha tek it, up shit creek, no you you potter around ont rooard,
behave thisen, buy summat els .
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

fozzy17 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:44 am i like they yam, two things that stood out for me is it looks top heavy, i guess thats why it has a small tank, the other is fuel range,although not bad but after 150 miles your looking for a petrol station, ok in the uk but if your touring a pain, the other is the suspension linkage is exposed, again if your doing road miles no problem but you could smash it on a rock if not careful, i would have one though due to it being cheaper, although now is it not £9.150?
I am getting 65 mpg from my T700, no matter how I ride it, about 20 more miles than I ever got out of my 950, about 30 more than my 990 on a good day, and after 150 miles on my 690 I needed to get off for an hour as my arse would be killing me.
Biased I am not, I have no affinity to a particular brand and its over 30 years since I last owned a Yamaha, but this bike is ticking all the boxes for me, and I accept that we all have different boxes. When I bought mine it was nearly £4K cheaper than the 790R, ( Wayne Mounter hasn’t forgiven me yet ) I know it doesn’t have all the gizmo’s the 790 has but I didn’t want them (didn’t want ABS) and you don’t have to look to closely to see where Yamaha have saved money (shitty pointless hand guards, bash plate made of foil) but they are very minor and for a few hundred quid can be changed. The rear shock has been an issue for some (fat fuckers carrying too much kit) but I have enough pre-load adjustment for my needs, the front end needs a bit of fettling to get right but stock Kayaba is decent enough. So to summarize, I have spent well under £9k and have nothing left to change, my TET France & Italy trip in June may alter that, but that’s bikes for you, the after market kit available already is pretty substantial but for now in it’s near stock form I am happy 👍

Just Ride !
dave h

Post by dave h »

johnnyboxer wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:55 am
qcnr wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:50 am
catcitrus wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:46 am basically 70 bhp in a light bike is enough for any person.
KTM 690 Enduro... Shave off another 50 kg, better suspension as well.
Is it?
Xplor Forks on KTM, don't get good press :mrgreen: .................and then you have the fabled orange mixed reliability :lol:

Fully adjustable KYB equipment on Yam

i know which suspention i would prefer under me,

dave.
fozzy17

Post by fozzy17 »

The Sarge wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:26 pm
fozzy17 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:44 am i like they yam, two things that stood out for me is it looks top heavy, i guess thats why it has a small tank, the other is fuel range,although not bad but after 150 miles your looking for a petrol station, ok in the uk but if your touring a pain, the other is the suspension linkage is exposed, again if your doing road miles no problem but you could smash it on a rock if not careful, i would have one though due to it being cheaper, although now is it not £9.150?
I am getting 65 mpg from my T700, no matter how I ride it, about 20 more miles than I ever got out of my 950, about 30 more than my 990 on a good day, and after 150 miles on my 690 I needed to get off for an hour as my arse would be killing me.
Biased I am not, I have no affinity to a particular brand and its over 30 years since I last owned a Yamaha, but this bike is ticking all the boxes for me, and I accept that we all have different boxes. When I bought mine it was nearly £4K cheaper than the 790R, ( Wayne Mounter hasn’t forgiven me yet ) I know it doesn’t have all the gizmo’s the 790 has but I didn’t want them (didn’t want ABS) and you don’t have to look to closely to see where Yamaha have saved money (shitty pointless hand guards, bash plate made of foil) but they are very minor and for a few hundred quid can be changed. The rear shock has been an issue for some (fat fuckers carrying too much kit) but I have enough pre-load adjustment for my needs, the front end needs a bit of fettling to get right but stock Kayaba is decent enough. So to summarize, I have spent well under £9k and have nothing left to change, my TET France & Italy trip in June may alter that, but that’s bikes for you, the after market kit available already is pretty substantial but for now in it’s near stock form I am happy 👍

Just Ride !

a friend of mine is picking a T700 this sunday so will get a go on one, i get why you would buy a t7, i was going to buy one but they were not out at the time, there was a ex demo with something like 60 miles on the clock for 7500 on ebay, i thought thats cheap
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

i was at P&H motorcycles on Saturday looking at the T7, and i liked it more than when i first saw it at the bike show last year! and for the price it does look like a good package. I will now get a test ride to see if its enough to tempt off of the Africa Twin! and the aftermarket rally seat looks very comfortable! some guy was just going off on a test ride, if you're on here bud let us know what you thought!!! (he had a 6 yr old tiger xt 1200)
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Yeah but! do they really stack up against a DR350 ;) :roll:

Chuck the new Tiger in the mix and ask the question how many of these are actually going to hit the dirt ? Manufacturers know this and design accordingly

Your money, your riding choices spend your time and money where it makes you the most happiest despite what other people may say about your choice. Every day that ticks by is a day lost in the saddle :shock:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
ibgary

Post by ibgary »

The specs on the t700 strike me as being out of date. It's very much like the discontinued BMW 650 Sertao. Same tech, Sertao is lighter and will go about 100 miles farther and can be found for 1/2 the cost. I had the BMW and put 60k on it. Glad I didn't wait for the T700.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

A colleague of mine at work was on his way to get his 790 valued against the T7OO and never made it, ECU fried itself something to do with a fuelling issue that was so say resolved last time but clearly they didn’t.
Do hear a lot of reliability issues on the KTM so not sure whys going on with them.

Return to “BIKES”