Bullet 500 efi
50%
Himalayan
50%

Total votes: 2

redrooster

Himalayan v 500 efit bullet

Post by redrooster »

Which of the two above would be the most reliable?
Which would have the most torque relative to weight?
Which would have the better cruising speed?
Which would potter around with a passenger best?

Vote which you would prefer?
Still searching!!!!!
Tonibe63

Re: Himalayan v 500 efit bullet

Post by Tonibe63 »

I doubt you will find many people who have owned both and used them long enough to give an answer. Maybe a test ride on both would be a better way to find out.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Fried Egg Sandwich

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

Not tried the Himalayan yet, but tried the EFI 500 Classic in India, then back in Blighty two up.

In India the 500EFI Classic was absolutely suited to the Indian traffic and terrain. On UK roads I found the 500 lacking. Traffic is so much faster in the UK than India and the feeling of vulnerability was palpable.

I then tried the Interceptor 650 two up and that fitted the bill perfectly. Happy to the speed limit - and beyond I guess.

Bought one and it suits the wife and I perfectly for weekend bimbling out to tea rooms and coffee shops.

Now I have bikes for all my biking needs 🤗
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

A Honda :evil: ;) 8-)
Fried Egg Sandwich

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

Yup I've had Honda's before.😊
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
Trev

Post by Trev »

I've owned an efi 2008 for the last five year, put just over 10k miles on it, about 50% solo winter/wet weather for riding back lanes, 50% pillion for sunny morning farm shop hopping, even a tiny bit of (very) gentle off road (I run Heidenau K67's on it). I've only ridden the Himmy on a two hour test ride so my comparison is limited but here goes for what it's worth.

Put simply, they are totally different bikes, and not just in styling.

The efi is actually slightly more powerful (27 v 24.5hp) and slightly less torquey (30.5 v 32) then the Himmy although my efi has different exhaust/ k&n so may have half a gnats cock more of each. If I was pushed to choose I would say the efi is a bit quicker but it's so much more vibey that anything over 65 for long feels like torture for you and the bike, The Himmy is very smooth in comparison and 70 is fine although near the edge of its top speed.

Himmy handles better and is more comfortable (if you're not too tall for the low seat) due to the better, longer travel suspension. Ergonomics a bit weird on the efi as slightly feet forward and wide lowish bars make you into a bit of kite in windy or high (!) speed riding, v. comfy for pottering though. The Himmy is typical trail bike and (at 6ft. 33 " leg) I found it comfortable for the time I spent on it, the whole things feels much more modern, late 80's compared to late 60's :lol:

Switch gear on both is ok, surprisingly modern'ish on the efi and all works well although not much of it. I didn't like the Himmy screen as deflected wind straight onto my helmet (I usually wear open face on slower bikes) and I would probably remove it as don't see the need at 60mph. Plenty of room for strapping bags to the Himmy, bit limited on the efi although, for me. it's not that sort of bike.

Brakes a tale of two halves, I really liked the rear on the Himmy, loads of feel, rear on the efi is a drum, ok'ish but not up to 2 up riding. Front on the Himmy is pretty poor, ok if you grab a real handful but the efi front disc is noticeably better, bit strange Enfield going backward on this?

I like both and, although quite different, they would probably end up doing the same role for me with the Himmy having the added benefit of doing some light green laning (bike is more capable than me) whilst the efi has the added benefit (?) of everyone saying how lovely it looks even if they know nothing about bikes .... if that's a benefit to you.

To your questions:
Which of the two above would be the most reliable? Himmy I would think, much more modern design, only things that have broken on my efi (the first year of production remember) have been clutch cable, swing arm bushes (replaced with Hitchcock hyrolastic jobbies) and starter sprag clutch (uprated one now fitted) but it does like a bit of fettling
Which would have the most torque relative to weight? Himmy just although pulls better, just
Which would have the better cruising speed? Himmy 70 v 60
Which would potter around with a passenger best? If you get the right seat and your back lane pottering then efi deffo, it doesn't so much accelerate as gather speed and is my wife's favourite pillion bike by a mile, and that includes an Affy Twin DCT

In the end I've stuck with my efi as it's got that feel and character that the Himmy, although better in every aspect (apart from the front brake) just hasn't got.

They're so cheap why not get one of each 8-)
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I have done about 11,000 miles on my Himmy and have had test rides on a couple of EFI Classics, I have also ridden my brother’s EFI Thunderbird. I wish I had test rode an EFI years ago as I have been really surprised by them. They are a massive leap forward from the pre EFI Bullets and make a practical, economical, fun bike. I agree with Trev they are totally different from the Himmy. The Himmy handles better and feels a bit quicker, I actually thought the EFI Classic was more comfortable with its sprung saddle. My brother has fitted some device from Hitchcocks to the end of the crank which smooths out the vibes considerably, he has also altered the gearing which has upped the cruising speed. Both the EFIs and the Himmys seem very reliable and are obviously excellent value.
I would have one of each if I had the space and the money.
The Interceptor is an entirely different beast again and is fast enough for anyone who isn’t in a desperate hurry to lose their licence.
Cheers Jak

Return to “BIKES”