Tenere 700 Vs. Ktm 990 Adventure

The Things We Ride
paul.lewis

Tenere 700 Vs. Ktm 990 Adventure

Post by paul.lewis »

I couldn't make it to the festival to ride the 700. Did anyone ride it who owns or has owned a 990 Adventure? I am very interested in how they compare. Any help appreciated.

My last 990 was stolen... I am waiting before replacing it to try out the 700 which looks superb. But though now an old design, the 990 had a certain magic and felt special. And even if it was a bit weird looking from certain angles it looked amazing from others.

* Weight: The 990 though large, felt light when moving and gave confidence off-road. Is the 700 noticeably and positively lighter?
* Power: how do the characteristics of the motors compare... 110hp vs 70hp.
* Distance: I used my 990 to travel across Europe in comfort. Could the 700 do that?
* Size: Sometimes the 900 was a handful... how about the 700 - easier... less challenging?
* Presence: The 900 has it in bucketloads... can the 700 compare?
* Build quality: The KTM was made from high quality components... it felt well made. Is the 700 more middle of the road in construction and parts?
* Ride: In town, across the UK, across the pyrenees... which bike would you rather have?

It is hard to think about moving on from the 990... but maybe the Tenere 700 is the machine to make that happen. Thoughts please...
daryl

Re: EDC Morocco, Africa, 2019. Open invite for FREE On/Off road & desert guided tour.

Post by daryl »

YamTen wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:59 pm So.....did anyone (who went to the festival) try out the 790 or Tenere?? If so what did you think?
I rode both.

The new Tenere was lovely on the road, but felt a bit tame for me on the trails. (Others I rode with liked it, but it seemed a bit dull to me)

The 790R felt a lot lighter that it was, but it also felt a bit fat between my legs (bearing in mind the 690 is maybe 8" wide at the seat). The 790Rs clutch seemed super heavy to me and the 3 mates who also rode it (wrists aching after a 30min ride), maybe that's why they put the quick shifter on it.

If I were to have either I think it would be the 790R, but I wouldn't swap the 690 for it.

Not the most comprehensive comparison I know, but neither bike really grabbed me.
boboneleg

Re: Tenere 700 Vs. Ktm 990 Adventure

Post by boboneleg »

I have a similar dilemma, I have a 990 Adventure Dakar with only 12,000 miles on it but I really like the look of the Tenere. The KTM never fails to put a grin on my face but I find it heavy nowadays and wonder if the Tenere might be easier to handle.

I am toying with the idea of putting an order in while the price is still at £8,399 and selling the KTM but I just love the look of the Dakar.

Decisions, decisions :roll:
one-legged adventurer
catcitrus

Re: EDC Morocco, Africa, 2019. Open invite for FREE On/Off road & desert guided tour.

Post by catcitrus »

daryl wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:38 pm
YamTen wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:59 pm So.....did anyone (who went to the festival) try out the 790 or Tenere?? If so what did you think?
I rode both.

The new Tenere was lovely on the road, but felt a bit tame for me on the trails. (Others I rode with liked it, but it seemed a bit dull to me)

The 790R felt a lot lighter that it was, but it also felt a bit fat between my legs (bearing in mind the 690 is maybe 8" wide at the seat). The 790Rs clutch seemed super heavy to me and the 3 mates who also rode it (wrists aching after a 30min ride), maybe that's why they put the quick shifter on it.

If I were to have either I think it would be the 790R, but I wouldn't swap the 690 for it.

Not the most comprehensive comparison I know, but neither bike really grabbed me.
sorry I didn't really catch up at the do Daryl--but interesting to note that the hydraulic clutch on the 790 felt heavier than the cable on the Yam. I guess you now have to look at the new price of a 690 versus the Yam--the Yam is now cheaper! However, the 690 has the same power (the new one) as the Yam and is a lot lighter and arguably better suspended.
paul.lewis

Post by paul.lewis »

boboneleg wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 pm I have a similar dilemma, I have a 990 Adventure Dakar with only 12,000 miles on it but I really like the look of the Tenere. The KTM never fails to put a grin on my face but I find it heavy nowadays and wonder if the Tenere might be easier to handle.

I am toying with the idea of putting an order in while the price is still at £8,399 and selling the KTM but I just love the look of the Dakar.

Decisions, decisions :roll:
Exactly my position ( except I now don't have my 990.. : ( I think I will have to wait and test ride the 700... and then try to compare against the 990 from memory. I also found the 990 heavy at times... and i'm not getting any younger. The vain part of my personality says.."everyone will get the Tenere 700... it will become as popular as the GS... but only those in the "know" will own a 990". Superficial yes, but I like it;'s rarity.
Cone

Post by Cone »

catcitrus wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:14 pm
I rode both.

sorry I didn't really catch up at the do Daryl--but interesting to note that the hydraulic clutch on the 790 felt heavier than the cable on the Yam. I guess you now have to look at the new price of a 690 versus the Yam--the Yam is now cheaper! However, the 690 has the same power (the new one) as the Yam and is a lot lighter and arguably better suspended.
Why do I think it was a cable clutch? It was definitely heavy on the test ride

I didn’t test ride the 700 but thought the finish was lacking and the frame had sections that looked really vulnerable. It did look up close like they’d skimped on some sections but I though the 790 did too.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

I have only ridden the S version and totally agree here. Nice bike, but not for me when comparing to my 2019 690 Enduro.
paul.lewis

Post by paul.lewis »

Dear friends,

The comparison in this thread is with the 990 not the 790. Thanks.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Or the 690
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

I rode the T700 at the Festival

Nice bike - hovering on the July order trigger too, like Bob

Will it fit in the garage I have, as a middleweight bike?

That is the dilemma I am having

Will I really ride it off-road and throw it down the trail ?

If not............... it will be wasted as it may be too bulky for a lot of trails in uk
Last edited by johnnyboxer on Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “BIKES”