Ultraseal for tubed tyres?

The Things We Ride
catcitrus

Re: Ultraseal for tubed tyres?

Post by catcitrus »

Green slime do a special for tubed tyres--again anything that lets it down slowly is worth it. I carry spare tubes and a pair of the LONG Michelin bend levers in a special tube or other strap on method--depends on the bike--even designed and made my own tool box for the Transalp to carry the long levers--and a lot more crap like CO2 cylinders, pump, sockets and the list goes on. Slime will certainly help against the dreaded blackthorn spikes and if you have a pump you can get to a decent place to change a tube. Offroad I run about 8 psi in the front and about 12 in the rear on my 250s--makes a big difference on grip and is just enough to avoid a pinch puncture--but here line and front elevation are everything when encountering rock steps--I don't "race"!!
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

bowber wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:57 pm As a bit of extra to this (I've never used any of the tyre goo's other than fitting Oko to my wife's bike when she was going on a solo trip) For trail riding just run your tyres over 20 psi, I use 24-25 psi on everything, racing is a different matter, but for plain trail ring I've not had a problem with punctures running a higher pressure. It works better on tarmac, stops most pinch punctures, I've only had a few trail riding punctures in 35 years of trail riding and they were mostly caused by thorns or nails.
I think one of the inmates here has used the pressurised tins to seal a badly damaged tube by sealing the valve hole with a washer and some O rings, he said it got him home where he could change the tube at leisure so it sounds like it's worth carrying a tin anyway.

Steve
Blimey! Do you only ride on soft grass?
Even 20psi is too much for trail riding in Sussex. The corrugations will make your teeth fall out.
I have been running about 15psi ever since I started but we don’t have those nasty pinchy rocks down here.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
bowber

Post by bowber »

DavidS wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:00 pm
Blimey! Do you only ride on soft grass?
Even 20psi is too much for trail riding in Sussex. The corrugations will make your teeth fall out.
I have been running about 15psi ever since I started but we don’t have those nasty pinchy rocks down here.
No, I trail ride in the lake district and Yorkshire dales so I'm used to rocky trails, I prefer using higher pressures as I hate punctures so I'm used to it, I suppose I'd get slightly more grip (I don't have any problems with grip though) and a softer ride if I used lower pressures but I just mess a bit with the suspension.
dave h

Post by dave h »

I'm gonna give this a try next
IMG_20190724_192525.jpg
IMG_20190724_192525.jpg (108.91 KiB) Viewed 2146 times

Return to “BIKES”