Ultraseal for tubed tyres?

The Things We Ride
laughing_mole

Ultraseal for tubed tyres?

Post by laughing_mole »

Looking to take my Honda 250 Rally on French TET trails in September and thinking about using Ultraseal or equivalent to avoid punctures and need to repair on the trail. What's been members' experience of using this it for tubed tyres?
Thanks.
Tink

Re: Ultraseal for tubed tyres?

Post by Tink »

Following this topic as I too am trying to figure out the best option for tubes puncture without having to take the wheels out👍👍👍👍👍
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

What have you got to lose?

It might just save the day, but then again......

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Have used tyre weld as a puncture repair in the past have had mixed results.
For a small puncture say a nail, tack or thorn they have been successfully repaired anything larger say a cut on a flint trail then no joy at all.

Also used the green slime as a preventative with much the same same result. .

I would not rely solely on either of these products to get me home. Sure try them, but I would still carry a spare tube and the tools to carry out a necessary repair.
laughing_mole

Post by laughing_mole »

Thanks for the comments guys. I do like the idea of carrying less tools and avoiding the hassle of tyre changes on the track. So think I'll give Ultraseal a go - and hope at worst it slows any punctures so I can get it to a tyre place if needed.

Any more experience - esp with Ultraseal?
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

These sealants where designed for tubless tyres on construction sites and ride on mowers... A trail bike is desgned to run low pressure so trges flex and grip... Changing tyres isnt hard just practice... I very rarely get punctures :lol:... Also tubes now rip rather than get holes cheap design i say...

Be prepared and you wont need them.. Also slime etc cant have apatch applied so you might as well fix the flatty...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
prg4967

Post by prg4967 »

If I use tubes I put slime in them and carry spare tubes, the slime might fix a puncture but I wouldn’t solely rely on it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

My argument is that slime or foam has a chance of getting you to somewhere that you can get it sorted. Both have worked for me in the past and got me home just fine.
Bike Seal is allegedly designed for tubed tyres.

Other option....6 mates riding, it’s 2c and peeing down...and you want them to wait while you TRY to fix a puncture but you damage the tube refitting it.....just saying which I would prefer and know works well enough.
Ok, different if you’re on a mega trek but locally, is it really worth it?
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Six Ps...

Perfect preparation prevents piss-poor performance.

so...

Before you leave, fit your tyre of choice yourself. If you don't know how, get someone who does to supervise, or if that's not possible look at You Tube.

Before taking the wheels out, check for bearing play. Now is a good time to instal new bearings.

Strip everything off the rim...tyre, tube, rimlock/security bolt (if fitted) and tape.

Clean the inside of the wheelrim and check every spoke-end. Any protruding into the well area of the rim need to be ground-down. Clean off all dirt and corrosion: wire-brush if necessary. Examine the rim-tape carefully, and if it's suspect, replace it. If you don't have rim locks, then instal them: genuine Honda ones are best and will fit all makes, you just need to buy for the appropriate rim width.

Buy new tubes...Michelin are probably the best. Avoid cheap ones which may split. A quality tube can sometimes seal itself around a penetrating object to a certain extent and 'let you down gently'...I've known Chinese ones go bang on first inflation.

Instal your tyres of choice: use car shampoo rather than washing-up liquid if you can't get tyre soap. Car shampoo won't rot your rims or make spoke-ends rust, whereas washing-up liquid can.

Keep your old inner-tubes as spares.

Don't clamp the nut on the valve down on the rim, use it to lock against the cap. That way the tyre has to move further before it can rip the valve out of the tube.

Take all the tools you ned to do the job with you. Motion Pro make decent levers that incorporate axle wrenches at one end and a 'bead buddy' is like an extra hand when you need it. You can get CO2 cylinders to inflate and seat the tyre, or carry a compact electric pump. Alternatively, double action MTB pumps are compact and not too laborious.

Remember, the hotter a tyre is, the easier it is to deal with.
bowber

Post by bowber »

As a bit of extra to this (I've never used any of the tyre goo's other than fitting Oko to my wife's bike when she was going on a solo trip) For trail riding just run your tyres over 20 psi, I use 24-25 psi on everything, racing is a different matter, but for plain trail ring I've not had a problem with punctures running a higher pressure. It works better on tarmac, stops most pinch punctures, I've only had a few trail riding punctures in 35 years of trail riding and they were mostly caused by thorns or nails.
I think one of the inmates here has used the pressurised tins to seal a badly damaged tube by sealing the valve hole with a washer and some O rings, he said it got him home where he could change the tube at leisure so it sounds like it's worth carrying a tin anyway.

Steve

Return to “BIKES”