Ops Life threatening problem with my ATAS

The Things We Ride
zimtim

Re: Ops Life threatening problem with my ATAS

Post by zimtim »

Before speculating any further I would get that grit analysed to determine exactly what it is.
Then you can trace it back to how it got into the fuel system. .

Fuel filter mesh is that intact. What micron filtration does it offer as some fine particles might have got through.

Get Honda to check for any potential damage to the engine.

Not good news on a newish bike.
Hope you get it sorted soon
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

zimtim wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:55 am Before speculating any further I would get that grit analysed to determine exactly what it is.
Then you can trace it back to how it got into the fuel system. .

Fuel filter mesh is that intact. What micron filtration does it offer as some fine particles might have got through.

Get Honda to check for any potential damage to the engine.

Not good news on a newish bike.
Hope you get it sorted soon
Honda are investigating atm, but thanks for the thoughts and will ask them to fully check over the engine.
It was one of those moments that you have when your life flashes before you. Computer says no!.

Another thing to note, not one EC fault code on the bike either.

Riding around on a cb500x atm, so my 92mile daily commute is great fun, lol.

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

2013 Triumph tiger 800 xc

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentbyways

http://www.kent-byways.co.uk/

byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

It nice to see folks approaching this in a civil way and honda acting fast... Im sure the dealers will send baxk to honda to recover their costs...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

A very similar problem is an absolutely chronic fault on the Honds CBF125 , if you want to read up.

As an older rider, I'm astonished by the changes in attitude, the bike has broken down , ssssshock horror! Back in the seventies there were still a large number of what would now be considered to be 'classic bikes ' being ridden daily. We used to go out for a Sunday afternoon ride and if no one broke down, neccesitating tools out and an enfoced hour long break, it would be exeptional. There were always points to reset or something. I guess the vibration caused everything to fall off. To have a breakdown as an absolutely unacceptable event seems strange , to me anyway.
I do a bit of greenlaning and things still go wrong, bent gear and brake levers, broken clutch and brake levers, or a stick stuck in the chain or wedged up inside the mudguard seems a normal part of life.
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

Steve been riding for over 20 years and in my 50's. So i'm catching you up. I also do 16,000miles a year on all weathers.
My Bike an 18 plate Africa Twin DCT cost me £13,500, so a bloody big investment.

I don't expect it to try and kill me on the motorway, by cutting out randomly, everytime I ride it and don't expect to start fixing it on the side of the road with a years warranty still left on it.

It is also a DCT, so it's not as if i can just chuck it into neutral and happily roll to the hard shoulder and get my spanners out, when it cuts out. It is a big twin that will automatically engine brake and there aint a sausage i can do about it when it does.

By the way my commute is 46 miles each way and I also have done a lot of green laning, just check out my Youtube channel "Knobblies"

I thought if it is the case that the tank and fuel system has not been washed out, then as another user has said, QC needs to be bolloxed!!!!

si
Oh, Edmund, can it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand a nugget of purest green?

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Lucky its still under warranty Si!!! hope you get it sorted, imagine the cost if you hadn't have it happen now! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
sexysi

Post by sexysi »

dibbs wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:51 am Lucky its still under warranty Si!!! hope you get it sorted, imagine the cost if you hadn't have it happen now! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yes mate agree with that. Makes me think I might extend my warranty in a years time, for another 2 years. As the bike after 4 years will have 64,000miles on it and Honda's warranty is unlimited mileage.

It is a work horse for me, as I cant stand the train. Commute from Kent to Earls court everyday. 12 miles in London and 34 on a mixture of A and B roads.

si

1998 Honda XR 250L

2003 CCM 404 DS

2005 MGTF

Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

steve the grease wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:28 am A very similar problem is an absolutely chronic fault on the Honds CBF125 , if you want to read up.

As an older rider, I'm astonished by the changes in attitude, the bike has broken down , ssssshock horror! Back in the seventies there were still a large number of what would now be considered to be 'classic bikes ' being ridden daily. We used to go out for a Sunday afternoon ride and if no one broke down, neccesitating tools out and an enfoced hour long break, it would be exeptional. There were always points to reset or something. I guess the vibration caused everything to fall off. To have a breakdown as an absolutely unacceptable event seems strange , to me anyway.
I do a bit of greenlaning and things still go wrong, bent gear and brake levers, broken clutch and brake levers, or a stick stuck in the chain or wedged up inside the mudguard seems a normal part of life.
Which is a valid point, but that was then, and this is now.

I recall that the BSA management turned down an engine design with an integral head and cylinder block (head gasket failure being a problem on may British twins) on the basis that, I quote, "motorcyclists like taking the cylinder head off on a Saturday afternoon."

British bikes were designed so that they were easy to repair when they broke, because break they would.

The Japanese designed bikes that would break down less frequently, but the flipside of that is that over the years the engines have evolved so they are more difficult to work on.

ie, you could do the tappets on a DR350 with a feelergauge and three hand tools. To do the same on a DRZ400 you need more tools, a micrometer and a factory shim kit.

You can say the same about 1st gen KTM EXCs v the newer ones.

In any case, with a bike under warranty, the best thing to do is get it to a competent dealer unmolested and with the original symptoms still presenting.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

In amongst all the other issues I had similar problems with my CCM cutting out and in traffic it was potentially life threatening. CCM blamed it on diesel in the petrol, although other owners have told me they were told the same thing. There must be a load of spies at I think one of the down sides of some modern fuel injection systems is that they ran so lean that it takes very little to stop them completely. Both the AT and the CCM are sold as machines that you can jump on and go round the world on. You would think that they would have fuel systems that were robust enough to cope with a small amount of impurities.
My wife used to have a Guzzi Breva 750 and once in Zurich I inadvertently got some water in the fuel. The local dealer sold me some additive which I think was paraffin based which allowed the water to pass through the injection system. The bike never cut out although it lurched a bit at low speeds for a while.
With bikes with carbs similar problems are relative easy to sort out particular on older singles or twins.
At least Honda seem to be taking reasonable steps to sort the problem out, unlike CCM who just tried to fob me off.
Cheers Jak
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Perhaps it might be worth fitting an extra filter to possibly stop dirt entering the tank at the point of refilling? I understand that some off road KTM riders have been susceptible to similar problems so it might be worth contacting a KTM dealer? As an example;

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/motorsp ... &gclsrc=ds

TTFN

Hugh.

Return to “BIKES”