Which bike for one returning to overlanding?

The Things We Ride
herman

Re: Which bike for one returning to overlanding?

Post by herman »

diggermanbob wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:08 pm image.jpeg. It's got the full luggage as well
I do like that model, one of the few bikes that would tempt me from my S10. 8-)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

diggermanbob wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:08 pm image.jpeg. It's got the full luggage as well
That.
Is.
Sweet....
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

https://www.visordown.com/features/top- ... r-%C2%A33k

That article is 5 years old, so prices have changed of course. Indeed the bikes are now older and generally more affordable. I forgot the Triumph ST, which would be worth considering. Go for a 1050ST though, not the early 955 - which are truly awful IMO.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

What about.....

.... a Kwak Versys 1000?
:P
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Warthog wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:50 pm What about.....

.... a Kwak Versys 1000?
Dunno much about them, except the engine is Z1000, so it's a goodun. Think you'll need to spend upwards of 4500 quid though.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Warthog wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:50 pm What about.....

.... a Kwak Versys 1000?

My personal opinion: the original model was rushed into production when Kawasaki realised it needed a bike in the "adventure" category. I say rushed as the Mark 1 model that I test rode when they were originally introduced, felt like a Z1000 on stilts with a cramped, sportbike-like seating position and tall but soft suspension which see-sawed with acceleration and braking.

A few months ago, a friend and I were test-riding a Versys 300 so he got the chance to ride my Tiger 800 XCx and I rode his 2015 Versys 1000. I will say that the newer models are a vast improvement over that original that I rode 7 years ago. The engine is amazing... but, then again, I'm not really used to inline fours as I prefer singles, twins and triples.

Test one for yourself!
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Just noticed this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-vfr-1 ... SwZ4RcGpPC

I've never ridden one, and they are a bit of an ugly tree windfall I guess, but surely a 2010 1200cc V4 in a Honda sports touring frame with low miles and a v comfy looking seat for 4 grand can't be all that bad?
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

OnHellas wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:03 pm I’d say for two up comfort a Varadero 1000 will take some beating.
I have one, and it's the only bike my SO will sit on with a degree of happiness! I can do 10hrs days on it happily, albeit with an Airhawk :D

I am pondering selling it, but I know that if I ever want to do a quick dash to the West of Ireland or down to Spain, it is always going to be a superb bike to do it on. You know what a nice motor the TA is, the Vara is the same but with serious grunt. I suspect I will keep mine, as it's like an old friend now, reliable, a good companion and will go out with me for some serious craic when time allows!

They will shift if you work the throttle and gears, but it always feels rather uncouth and fuel consumption slips... as in really slips! I reckoned I got it down to mid 20s coming through the Borders on sunny afternoon coming home from afew days in the NW of Scotland :-) Normal consumption is around 45-55mpg.

But ferchrissakes NEVER drop the barstard thing. They are effing heavy and the weight is high up with that big tank and the FI gear at seat height. :?
gspod

Post by gspod »

You say you’d like a GS but they’re out of your budget.
How about a post 1998 1100 (later gearbox).

You can pick up a good one in the UK for around £2.5-3K. They are very reliable (I know I did 170K miles on mine) and very comfortable for long distance 2 up riding (just upgrade the rear shock if it hasn’t been done already). There is enough power for real world riding/touring.
Also more than capable for a bit of dry, stony trails down to that secluded beach or mountain top view point.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

gspod wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:49 am You say you’d like a GS but they’re out of your budget.
How about a post 1998 1100 (later gearbox).

You can pick up a good one in the UK for around £2.5-3K. They are very reliable (I know I did 170K miles on mine) and very comfortable for long distance 2 up riding (just upgrade the rear shock if it hasn’t been done already). There is enough power for real world riding/touring.
Also more than capable for a bit of dry, stony trails down to that secluded beach or mountain top view point.
I do like them and still have some ally panniers and brackets for the 1150, but 21 years old is a LOOOOOOOT for a bike.

My TA is only a bit older. They are reliable engine wise but I worry about brittle cabling by that stage and stuff like that.

On top of that, I hven't had something with serious ooomph since a CBR1000F and a TL1000s and , well.... I miss it. I would like to get something that makes holding on a challenge.

Return to “BIKES”