Yamaha RD250C 1976 Rolling resto and daily rider

The Things We Ride
adventure steele

Re: Yamaha RD250C 1976 Rolling resto and daily rider

Post by adventure steele »

Well the ME77's are fitted! spent today working on the rear hub so that's all sorted ready to fit the brake shoes on tomorrow,

Always been pretty handy at turning new old stock parts up on the elsies, so after a bit of hunting this arrived today!!

One new old stock side panel! Interesting to compare against the current paintwork on the bike :) tank and current panel are totally original and the tank isn't a bad match at all.

While thinking about what to do regarding the tatty repair to the oil tank where the paint's gone on the lead edge of it, I tracked down a New Old Stock Oil tank in the right blue so that's on its way now. For what I got it for be way cheaper than respraying the current oil tank which I'll keep for a spare. Wasn't intending to use nos stuff on this but at the price I got them at well worth it even if I keep them as spares for now :)

ImageIMG_20190501_141309174-01 by norton.rider, on Flickr

Few other remedial bits arrived today as well, new overflow line for the oil tank not got a cats chance of getting the original one back on, some new lines for the crankcase breather, oil tank mounts had all perished so got those to as well as some paint to touch the front of the frame in.

Other one is the brake caliper gonna test fit it over the next few days.

ImageIMG_20190501_140621654-02 by norton.rider, on Flickr
adventure steele

Currently working on refitting the rear wheel before I do though decided to start working on the rear wheel spacer another NLA part left is before I started on the rh side of it :) slow progress but think it's gonna come up great.
ImageIMG_20190505_141030924-01 by norton.rider, on Flickr
adventure steele

An a lil bit more progress learnt alot doing this one :) good enough to fit now though

Middle stage really really deep pitting.

ImageIMG_20190505_185438_368 by norton.rider, on Flickr

Got the worst of the heavy pitting out she just needs a final polish tomorrow to bring it back to a nice shine.
ImageIMG_20190505_185438_367 by norton.rider, on Flickr

Got the front Caliper fitted bit of a gutter that the supplier supplied the mounting bolts the wrong way round so ended up having to remove them an swap em round green finish is such a pain not to mark.

All in all a decent day an tomorrow I'll get the wheels re fitted to the bike :)
adventure steele

Lastest part :) on what's been quite a small parts spend with all the refurbing!

New Old stock oil tank that had been on display in a bike shop. Bike shop is gone now unfortunately.
ImageIMG_20190507_112244_339 by norton.rider, on Flickr
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

A great effort. Did you find the Classic Bike with the Austrian preproduction RD in it?

If not, if you pm me an address I can mail it to you if you want it.

How are you preserving the finish on the parts you have cleaned and de-corroded?
adventure steele

Hi mate yep got a copy interesting read!! Thanks for the offer though.

Going to try acf which is something I've never used before either that just give it a good clean after every ride that's what I've done on my Norton's an they look great still after a fair bit of riding just needs some general tlc I think to keep them tip top :) I reckon she'd been put a way wet more than a few times an that's what had caused all this, gonna be a big push tomorrow get my wheels back on oil tank fitted lines run, breather replaced, brakes bled. Need to order a new filter as well after seeing the state of the rear wheel inner hub I wanna make sure it's got a clean filter in it just incase its been ran down a beach haha! Never know.

Always open to new suggestions though of methods of keeping on top of stuff found there's no substitute for elbow grease though!

Return to “BIKES”