CRF450L Mixed Feelings.

The Things We Ride
Pint Master

CRF450L Mixed Feelings.

Post by Pint Master »

Been out 3 times now on my CRF450L am resigned to keeping it now but it will need work and a change in riding style to make in work after several years riding KTMs.

Image.

Walk up to the CRF and you know you're dealing with a proper Japanese built quality product, its great to an ignition key that works a steering lock and a lockable same key petrol cap.
25hp sounds crap but it really isn't the bike spins unto 50 mph as quick as you like tops out at about 80mph and cruises comfortably at 70 mph, the power is delivered in a smooth solid fashion hasn't got the brute force of the KTM 450 and you can't lift the front wheel at will but its just nice.The Nissen brakes are powerful and controllable the gearbox is slick and neutral is easy to find but the real revelation is the handling on the dirt the bike feels you with confidence it feels secure and planted on mud gravel sand or rocks the on-road handling is terrific being light and flickable,the exhaust is really quiet a really really useful attribute on a trail bike.
The unobtrusive exhaust can be handy.

A great trail bike then....unfortunately the CRF does have some really bad faults, the fueling is terrible the bike is not happy unless its on a positive throttle its great going uphill but trying to go along at a steady speed on the flat or god forbid going down hill its a nightmare the engine revs surge and hunt you feel like a metronome when you're standing on the pegs rocking backwards and forwards with the out of control engine revs the slower you go the worse it gets sub 10mph in first gear the bike is almost unridable much clutch slipping and revving needed, this seems to get worse the hotter the bike gets,Im really disappointed that this fairly major fault wasn't mentioned on the UK reviews of the bike a couple of which are very lengthy, the very poor fueling also gives the CRF a real propensity to stall pulling away from a standing start and accelerating away from a rolling start in 1st or 2nd gear you really do have to give the bike a handful and slip the clutch.

Not a fault but something to watch out for is.....Im in the habit on cold days of dangling my cold hands over the end of the exhaust to warm them whilst waiting at the end of a lane don't do this on the CRF it melted my glove the exhaust fumes are hot enough to weld with.

A lovely bike which I really want to like Im going to look at fitting a Recluse clutch to help with the low speed running maybe look at making it American 40bhp spec, anyone having one of these on their shopping list please ride one on the trail first so you know properly what you're getting you're welcome to swop bikes with me for half an hour.
minkyhead

Re: CRF450L Mixed Feelings.

Post by minkyhead »

intersting report and thank you

had a bike with exactly the same lean fault ..anded up with a power commander and dyno run and its perfect now .....

by coincidence ive got a test ride this week from wigan honda .ill look out for similar problems

...il wager its a emmision euro 4 thing in the map . ;) and somones already working on it now ..bazzaz ejk ect

...i undrstand vortex already have a ecu out already for the honda

https://www.vortexcdi.com/model_product ... mp_id=4273

if that proves to be plug and play for the euro version ...having gone so far id go down that route rather tan a recluse ? it does say usa intake manifold which i would think would be the throttle body dont know if they are the same ../ maby drop them a line and see

looks a real nice bike im sure you will sort it in the end 8-)
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Be interested in your thoughts Steve

Some uk riders have bought the USA spec ecu and intake & boosts bike to 40 bhp

Part numbers are in forums and FBook

Not sure how much it costs but not cheap I bet
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

got out on one today ..may have some good news for you .. 8-)

.the one i had was pretty well behaved going slow...picked up instant off the throttle in 1st 2nd and 3rd with no help from the clutch ...found it hard to stall ..it even did well with the rear brake on on purpose
and with a bit of clutch it was easy to near enough stop and walk on with no bother ...it showed no signs of being ill tempered or fuel starved .or stally ..so id suspect the bike you have has a fault ..not great for you i know but on this eveidence it would seem that way ...and may explain why some of the tests you have read havnt mentioned it as id class it as the better side of accepable as minimun ...i had no chance to go steep downhill but it seemed to run even and snatch free in slow off road and traffik

wonder if they are tickover sensitive ..it seemed to tickover quick and 7mph on ticlover is above average i think for a bike with 13/51 on it ?

anyway it really did get provoked a lot and seemed to behave quite well on what admittadly were nowt more than a cartrack outside wigan :shock:
did a bit of video for you ..wonder how it compares ?

..hope that helps
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Hey minky, that looks really tractable, and got some poke for 25hp :D
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

it has some low down bang in 1st for sure ..

it was a bit unusual on the road ..it goes well grunts up and then falls flat very early ..it requires short shifting to keep it moving forward rather than reving harder ..once past the shift point the power drops away quick
personally as trail bike its got pleanty for me off road and id kill for them front forks on me cheapos ....it is a shame it wernt full power on the road ..id bet you could easily drop down that 13/51 gearing to a very acceptable cruise
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I guess thats the difference between a re-cammed 450 and a 300 road based cam profile. By the way--was that a 50s Ford V8 Pilot (black) that passed in the opposite direction when you were doing your road test?
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

minkyhead wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:01 pm got out on one today ..may have some good news for you .. 8-)

.the one i had was pretty well behaved going slow...picked up instant off the throttle in 1st 2nd and 3rd with no help from the clutch ...found it hard to stall ..it even did well with the rear brake on on purpose
and with a bit of clutch it was easy to near enough stop and walk on with no bother ...it showed no signs of being ill tempered or fuel starved .or stally ..so id suspect the bike you have has a fault ..not great for you i know but on this eveidence it would seem that way ...and may explain why some of the tests you have read havnt mentioned it as id class it as the better side of accepable as minimun ...i had no chance to go steep downhill but it seemed to run even and snatch free in slow off road and traffik

wonder if they are tickover sensitive ..it seemed to tickover quick and 7mph on ticlover is above average i think for a bike with 13/51 on it ?

anyway it really did get provoked a lot and seemed to behave quite well on what admittadly were nowt more than a cartrack outside wigan :shock:
did a bit of video for you ..wonder how it compares ?

..hope that helps
How many miles did that bike have on it?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i dont know tbo looking at the video the trip had 120 miles up
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

Another review here.

The topic of power, price and service intervals is discussed at around 41 mins in.

Return to “BIKES”