CRF450L Mixed Feelings.

The Things We Ride
johnnyboxer

Re: CRF450L Mixed Feelings.

Post by johnnyboxer »

Pint Master wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:51 am I blew my brains out when it came to losing money , the main problem with the bike is difficult to explain but when riding a difficult surface like baby head boulders , and riding up steps I found I couldn't "lean on the power" and make the front light when needed , just pulling away needed lots of revs and clutch slipping , although over the 2,500 miles I rode the bike the stalling issue improved it was still an issue probably it was me just getting used to it that reduced the problem

I think the issue was down to Honda making the bike Euro 4 , the motor industry learned over the last 15 years or so its not possible to make an old engine compliant by playing with the fuel management the whole engine needs to be re-designing Honda failed to do this , very disappointing from a premium manufacturer charging a premium price.
I think another problem, is the engine is derived from a very fast 'open class MX bike' and not really suited to anything less than loads of revs and clutch and flat out on a graded MX track (no boulders or rocks steps)

Shame, as on paper it has all the right attributes - but for nadgery and gnarly trails the engine isn't ideal - Morocco where you get it WOT, maybe ideal as Dave from AdvSpec finds it
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
petecam

Post by petecam »

Pint Master wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:53 pm I tried so hard to get on with the CRF but had to conclude the bike is just not fit for purpose when it comes to technical trail riding , so its replaced with a 501.

This picture was taken 4 weeks ago before the lockdown I ve been sorting out a new free photo hosting site after Tiny Pic closed , chance for 1 ride before lockdown its now out of warranty.
Good choice Tony. Hope you are keeping well?

P
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

I do like the CRf450l however i think they got close but missed a trick to what people really want, needs to be a longer stroke more torquey 450 engine and alloy frame for lightness is perfect.

Service intervals a no-no as is :
Fuel tank capacity
Hard seat
High seat.

If they had made a longer range adventure bike along the lines of the CCM450 with a bit of weather protection, range of 250 miles ish etc it would be a complete winner.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Helicoptermanr22 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:33 pm I do like the CRf450l however i think they got close but missed a trick to what people really want, needs to be a longer stroke more torquey 450 engine and alloy frame for lightness is perfect.

Service intervals a no-no as is :
Fuel tank capacity
Hard seat
High seat.

If they had made a longer range adventure bike along the lines of the CCM450 with a bit of weather protection, range of 250 miles ish etc it would be a complete winner.
Yeah, so true. Unbelievable that Honda of all companies could miss a trick like that. It was simple really, and all they had to do was look at the worldwide dual-sport / adv community forums to realise that everybody was crying out for a modern DRZ400.

Alu frame, FI, 200km range, 6 gears, long service interval, ~40bhp long-stroke engine, strong subframe for luggage, seat height around 900-925, street legal, solidly made, 120-130kgs, about 7-8k euros. They would have sold like hotcakes and become the new benchmark standard for greenlaning, TET, and lightweight RTW.

It's one thing to refuse to rise to the challenge (as Suzuki has done), but quite another to have Honda's resources, to try, and to fail.

Return to “BIKES”