200,000 km on my GS 12

The Things We Ride
bikenav

200,000 km on my GS 12

Post by bikenav »

Just past another benchmark passed 200,000km last week, as an update from my previous post at 100.000 mls thought might interest some. The bike is still used as before but with the addition of quite a bit more trailriding both UK, France and Spain last year had a fair pounding last year . Failures since last report as I remember them-
Rear damper - replaced both front and rear with used Ohlins
another heated grip- replaced with used
Gearbox gear position switch - intermittent fault putting up with it.
Starter motor *my fault*- because of above I have a reserve starter switch direct to solenoid on the bars *I switched it accidently and killed the starter motor* now got a spring loaded switch :oops: .
Little plastic knobs on screen position adjuster busted off- not replaced.
Front crankshaft oil seal weeps a bit- not replaced
sumpguard rubbers again- own more resilient repair.
worn sloppy gear linkage joints- replaced with used
Main Swingarm bearings play - All replaced and seals too .
rear light bayonet fitting rotted away -replaced with used.
left hand indicator switch- replaced whole cluster with used.
Rear brake master cylinder seal failure- replaced complete cyl with used.
Ignition switch elec bit beneath the key- replaced with new *still unsure if failed or just bad connection*
OK this one needs a little explanation- started off with another paralever pivot bearing failure so removed final drive whilst there noticed a bit of movement in the pinion shaft of the final drive and a worn propshaft rear joint bearing, bought a prop bearing replacement kit and changed it, a bit of a faff. Replaced paralever bearings (both) the needle bearing seems to outlast 2 of the ballbearings replaced the final drive to the bike (worry about the pinion next time got a spare anyway). On first ride had a major oil leak from the pinion bearing seal (it was fine before and not touched now)??? although there was that noticable amount of play- uhh. Conclusion badly aligned propshaft bearing trunion done by me whipping open bearing seal. Had prop rebuilt by a professional company but same result. Unsure then of seal now damaged or alignment still bad. Decided then to replace whole final drive with my spare and replace prop with another used one, the splines were were quite badly worn on my original anyway. All good then.
As I said before this bike is no show pony I dont look at any service schedules other than oil it gets used quite hard now on the trails often with luggage, not really interested in some peoples bullshit remarks as were made last report, but would love to hear other peoples bike service life history.
Or other thoughts on my sudden pinion bearing leak.

MY point of view the bike now does need a bit of fettling now and then and does feel a little bit old age sloppy in some respects, but its still a great mc to ride, road or trail where possible, probably time to get something else to lighten the load on the old girl hopefully then I may be able to make another sitrep one day.
the 100k mile post was posted on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:22 am in case someone wants to read it.
Last edited by bikenav on Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Teflon Jnr

Re: 200,000 km on my GS 12

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Wow I hope I can get half that on my KTM990 adv
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡บ
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Excellent, thanks for sharing. Itโ€™s always good to hear of a higher mileage bike. My 800GS is just shy of 105,000 miles/170,000 km. Iโ€™ve gone down the secondhand part route a couple of times too. Motoworks always seem to come up trumps.

How old is the bike?
Did you buy it new?

Keep going and let us know how you get on.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

added swingarm bearing change

Hellas bought the bike a 2005 model at about 22 months old with 2500 miles on it. I did do a similar summary at 100k miles which listed the initial history of the bike and my history with the date of that post is at the bottom of the one above , perhaps it would be better to link them together.thanks for the positive comments
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Love this thread, great to hear that she's still going :)

Hoping for the same for my bike, although at the current rate it will take me 23 years to catch up....
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช
crofty

Post by crofty »

Great post, always interesting to read real life experiences of particular models.
Weealwyn

Post by Weealwyn »

Brilliant. I am hoping to do similar mileage with my 1200GSA but think I will need to learn a lot of new skills and be braver to tackle the work you have had to.
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Interesting info, love seeing high mileage bikes.

Just for the sake of clarification (Not picking an argument) your first post was at 100,000 miles and this is at 200,000 km, so about 24,000 miles inbetween?
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

As mine is a single I therefore claim double mileage points! It's currently sitting at 101 000 miles so in twin terms that's 202 000 miles ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ
Well done on keeping the same bike and keeping it going.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

DanielS wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:15 pm Interesting info, love seeing high mileage bikes.

Just for the sake of clarification (Not picking an argument) your first post was at 100,000 miles and this is at 200,000 km, so about 24,000 miles inbetween?
arbitrary figures really but ye 25,000mls or so.

Return to โ€œBIKESโ€