790 Adv at Fowlers

The Things We Ride
JJay51

Re: 790 Adv at Fowlers

Post by JJay51 »

mark vb wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:19 pm
daveuprite wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:45 am "Free mug with every test ride"

I know it's expensive but that is impressively candid of KTM.
Haha....maybe they're referring to the test pilots who will be bamboozled into buying one, and not a reference to the receptacle one uses for drinking tea!
Sounds like someone's wife has put their foot down and said no to a new KTM :lol:
dave h

Post by dave h »

a few dealers on ebay saying in stock

another review,

dave.
Roadnwater

Post by Roadnwater »

Tim,
Excellent review. I have a Standard 790 Adventure on order and have been concerned that the suspension may not be very good on broken pavement or sharp bumps since it is pretty basic. My riding is 80% road but on a lot of beat up surfaces. I have even considered trying to get an R model, although I would have to lower the suspension given that I am 5' 8". Any feedback you could give would be great.
Wally

Tim Cullis wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:52 pm I test rode the 790 Adventure (non R) last month to confirm my order for the bike. Not keen on orange and 'my' white one will arrive in May. Some notes from the ride comparing it to my 690R...

Jason Jones at The KTM Centre in Hemel Hempstead had the 790 Adventure waiting with only 40 miles on the clock.  Trade plates were fitted as the ’19’ plates are only legal from tomorrow (1 March).

To differentiate the models I would have liked to refer to the non-R version of the 790 as the 790S but ’S’ is reserved in KTM nomenclature for alloy wheeled models.  So I will call it the 790B (basic).  

Looking at the paper specs, the 690 has a 910 mm high seat, the 790R has 880 mm and the 790B has 830-850 mm.  But this takes no account of the seat curvature and the reality is that the 790B with the seat in the low position feels almost the same height as my 690.  I have a 30-inch inseam and on the 790B am only touching the ground with the balls of my feet.   I suspect there will be a lot of potential 790R customers out there who will either move to the 790B or have to do some form of lowering

The extra 50 kg of weight over the 690 wasn’t particularly noticeable when moving the bike around and it felt lovely and light on the road, very balanced.  The bike is more than 20 kg lighter than both the Africa Twin and the BMW F850GS. The fuel tanks look rather bulbous in photos but when you are on the bike you don’t notice them.   Much of my riding in Morocco is at ‘bumbling along’ speeds and I often get 300 km range.  Similar riding with the 790 would allow a 470-km (290 mi) range which is really impressive.  

The first thing that will impress everyone is the TFT instrument panel which in addition to the usual rev counter, speedo, warning lights, also shows multiple trip odometers, ambient temperature, battery charge condition, fuel range, fuel consumption, ride mode, ABS mode, traction mode, and so on.  The various bike settings are controlled by a four-way handlebar switch.  Thanks to the intuitive software, when it started to rain, I was able to switch the ride mode from ‘street’ to ‘rain’ without even having to slow down.

The noise from the standard silencer is quite muted.  Riding the bike with ear plugs it was hardly noticeable.  I have a Wings exhaust on the 690 but this was fitted primarily because the standard 690 can/CAT runs so hot it melts plastic roll bags!  The 790 cat is under the engine and I would probably run the 790 with the standard exhaust.

I took the bike north on the M1 motorway seeing what it was like at high cruising speed.  The airflow over the windshield was fine and I rode for some time with my visor up.  The windshield is adjustable and could be lowered by maybe 25mm to ensure the helmet is in clean air.  Also the much lower R windshield could be fitted.  

The engine has ample power, feels more like 1000cc, pulls well from under 3000 revs in 4th, feels very happy at high revs.  The fueling is spot on, no hiccups in traffic, the engine is smooth with no vibration, and a constantly clear image in the rear view mirrors (vibration-induced mirror stem failure is common on the 690).

I meant to take note of the seat comfort but forgot to, which says something quite positive about it.  One major advantage of the 790 is that it can definitely take a pillion.  I have ridden the 690 with my wife on the back but it’s only viable for short distances, it’s cramped and one’s gonads are rather squashed.

Having ridden north for a while, by now I was well and truly lost so I thought I would use the bike’s simple navigation facility to route me back to The KTM Centre.   I had the 790R owners manual on my iPhone so I stopped to read this to check how to link my phone to the bike’s TFT screen.  First of all, I had to download KTM My Ride from the Apple App Store (£7.99).  I got it linked and then set up a route in the KTM app back to Jason, but couldn’t work out how to display the app on the TFT screen.  I was a bit exposed sitting by the side of the road, so I skipped that and used Apple Maps on my Watch instead which gives me coded haptic taps on the wrist to tell me to turn right or left.  

I took a twisty route back through the Chiltern hills.  By now the bike and I were firm friends and I was really enjoying myself.  I probably didn’t go over half throttle the whole journey but loved the way the bike reacted.

One unsung aspect I really like are the twin storage compartments either side of the bike, one holds the tool kit, the other could be used for tubeless repair kit and CO2 cartridges. There's another small storage under the pillion seat. 

I didn’t thing The KTM Centre would thank me for take the bike off-tarmac in the rain in what are 90-10 tyres (Avon Trailriders) but I did try standing on the pegs and everything felt good.  Yes, it’s not as light as the 690 but then I’m often off-tarmac on the 690 with 50+ kg of luggage and the 790 sans the luggage would be about the same. In any case I won't be doing much off-tarmac on this bike. The dealer will swap the Avon Trailriders for 50-50 Karoo 3 tyres at no charge.

What didn’t I like?  I thought the side stand foot should be bigger so it doesn’t sink into mud or sand.  I never understand why they are invariably so small.  I couldn’t think of anything else I didn’t like.   I would probably fit a louder horn and like the idea of fitting Barkbuster hand guards with built-in LED running lights so oncoming traffic in Morocco realises I’m not a moped.

Since riding the bike I've been following the reviews from the press launch in Morocco and the consensus seems to be that KTM has developed something really special that is in a class of its own.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

All this suspension lowering business, you're reducing its effectiveness. Just get a lower seat. Also, the stock suspension will be fine for that use, don't overthink it. If you then find that because you're a god-like rider you reach its limits, look at an aftermarket solution.
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

I agree with Mike, with 240 mm of suspension travel the R has more to play with, but if you then lower the bike you start moving back to the 200 mm of the non-R. No point in doing this.

On the R you would be able to adjust the front forks between comfort, normal and sport, on the non-R they will be set to the equivalent of normal but I still don't think I would describe the WP suspension on the non-R as "pretty basic".

The non-R will be fine. It's still going to be much better than the Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, BMW F750GS/F850GS or the Honda Africa Twin.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
Roadnwater

Post by Roadnwater »

Thank you for your advice, and for relieving my concerns.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Well - I found a dealer with a demo 790 (standard) … and so I took a spin on her

It took a fairly short period to get used to the bike but in the end I was pleasantly surprised and also fairly impressed

Plenty of engine and suspension there but for me I would go for the R version if I went ahead

I have a 990 Adventure and a XT660R and the 790R could be the ultimate blend of the two machines - if I wanted only 1 bike

This was at "On The Wheel" (near Brighton) where the R version would cost £12,200 OTR. They have one left I think and I must say that the 790R is a
very good looking bike. It really looks a lot like the 990R

Being a shorty I would also like to see the seat height a little bit lower. But I also agree that it would be easy enough to adjust the suspension and perhaps trim the seat to get bring the ground a little closer. This would only really be for the off-road stuff

The R is better looking in my opinion and has a much better seat and screen for my tastes and riding

I didn't place an order on the R model ….. but I am thinking ….
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
dave h

Post by dave h »

a fuel filter problem seems to be blighting the first bikes out but just to offset the reports,

dave.
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

Monster wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:55 pmI didn't place an order on the R model ….. but I am thinking ….
According to AdvRider forum you shave some off by changing the seat to that of the base model.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase

Return to “BIKES”