Mike54

Re: New UK importer for SWM

Post by Mike54 »

That's really interesting, said no serious motorcycle rider ever :lol:

Joking apart, I do know one person with one :lol:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

SWM are probably about where KTM was in the UK 30 years ago.

A small niche manufacturer, without (until now) an established representative in the UK.

Back in those days, enduro parc fermes were full of green bikes, the Kawasaki KDX 175/200/220 was the dominant bike.

Now the off-road market is orange...but some say KTM is taking its eyes off the enduro ball and SWM, Beta, GasGas and others are all poised to pick it up.

SWM has massive Chinese funding behind it...whatever issues it may face, undercapitalisation won't be one. Whatever, the market won't be hurt by the return of a competent bike range now with a professional importer behind it.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

I've got a SWM - had it for just over two years. I've no complaints re the bike or my dealer.

There are plenty of happy SWM owners in the UK, although the potential £££s loss with the importer failing was a temporary concern.

The importer appeared to be out of their depth, frustrating owners and dealers.

The SWM build quality of the Husqvarna "reboot" models is excellent, the performance is more than adequate for a trail rider, sportsman or clubman.

Let's face it, very few riders of any marque are capable of exploiting all the performance available so why worry about the latest suspension/powervalve/gizmo that adds 2% performance according to some magazine hacks "seat of the pants" opinion. Also read any forum to see how many people immediately spend money on having their latest model modified (particularly suspension) to correct perceived weaknesses in the stock set up! Weaknesses that only an expert can detect :lol:

The biggest bonus is that you save around £3k compared to the more fashionable KTM/Yamaha/Honda offering. (Depreciation not really an issue unless you change your bikes every year or so)

The new importers are experienced so it should be full steam ahead! :D
Richard Simpson Mark II

I actually worked for the new importer back in the late 1970s (it had a different owner then). Even then, although the bikes we sold had to come through Coburn & Hughes (Guzzi, Ducati) or Harglo (Morini)...we were still dealing direct with Italian factories for spares.
So it's probably one of the most experienced independent motorcycle importers in the UK. If 3X can't make SWM work in the UK, I suspect no one can.
On a personal note, though, the idea of a Chinese owned Italian Husqvarna factory is a bit scary. But, I understand the factory was given a good going-over while under BMW ownership so maybe they build them properly now.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Crossrutted wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:06 pm I've got a SWM - had it for just over two years. I've no complaints re the bike or my dealer.

There are plenty of happy SWM owners in the UK, although the potential £££s loss with the importer failing was a temporary concern.

The SWM build quality of the Husqvarna "reboot" models is excellent, the performance is more than adequate for a trail rider, sportsman or clubman.

Let's face it, very few riders of any marque are capable of exploiting all the performance available so why worry about the latest suspension/powervalve/gizmo that adds 2% performance according to some magazine hacks "seat of the pants" opinion. Also read any forum to see how many people immediately spend money on having their latest model modified (particularly suspension) to correct perceived weaknesses in the stock set up! Weaknesses that only an expert can detect :lol:

The biggest bonus is that you save around £3k compared to the more fashionable KTM/Yamaha/Honda offering. (Depreciation not really an issue unless you change your bikes every year or so)

Just purchased a 10 month old SWM RS650R and i am really pleased with it. I think any bike is more capable than i am so i will be unlikely to find it,s limits. I dont know what the previous owner has done but it runs really well and appears to be very well put together. I am pleased there is a new importer and wish them every success for the future. I have fitted a Superdual screen which bolts straight on and i suspect the rear rack will be the same. It is early days yet but i think they need to make obtaining spares on the internet easy for the owners and then i believe the brand will really take off.
scoobydidler

Post by scoobydidler »

Crossrutted wrote:I've got a SWM - had it for just over two years. I've no complaints re the bike or my dealer.

Let's face it, very few riders of any marque are capable of exploiting all the performance available so why worry about the latest suspension/powervalve/gizmo that adds 2% performance according to some magazine hacks "seat of the pants" opinion. Also read any forum to see how many people immediately spend money on having their latest model modified (particularly suspension) to correct perceived weaknesses in the stock set up! Weaknesses that only an expert can detect Image

Bang on.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Richard Simpson Mark II

If you are planning a big trip, there's now an SWM dealer in Nepal

https://techlekh.com/swm-bikes-nepal-debut/

Return to “BIKES”