Solo touring and off road (e.g. tet), small ADV bike suggestions

The Things We Ride
Paul_C

Re: Solo touring and off road (e.g. tet), small ADV bike suggestions

Post by Paul_C »

Something comfortable. I rode the Pyrenees on my CCM450, which was excellent. However, they don't suit everyone. Previously I had a TTR 250 which would also be fine, especially if you are happy pottering along when on the black stuff. I did half of my trip solo. You need to bare in mind that many of trails are 10-15+ miles long and I encountered very few other travelers in September 2017. Take your time and be strong enough to stop and go back if needed. Have fun.

Make sure you have a bike you can pick up.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
biker

Post by biker »

Have you thought about a Honda XR 400? lightweight easy to maintain. Rode mine up from Southern Spain last year no problems.
I AM THAT I AM
rbailey

Post by rbailey »

Brenhden wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:47 pm I have a rally, I did a 2000 mile tour of the black forest last year with full camping gear including a 500 mile day. I got it specifically for the TET. I did a £130 ecu upgrade which added a bit of motorway power but it was fine before. Tank range is a bit less than you want...

There is no perfect touring/off road bike. You could look for a older KTM690 but I wanted something bombproof.
Many thanks for the reply @Brenhden. Thats a mammoth journey, including the 500 mile day... fair play! If you could share some more on the ECU upgrade that would be great. Also, any advice on luggage and what you did to get all your kit on (camping stuff etc.) would be appreciated!
rbailey

Post by rbailey »

Paul_C wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:58 pm Something comfortable. I rode the Pyrenees on my CCM450, which was excellent. However, they don't suit everyone. Previously I had a TTR 250 which would also be fine, especially if you are happy pottering along when on the black stuff. I did half of my trip solo. You need to bare in mind that many of trails are 10-15+ miles long and I encountered very few other travelers in September 2017. Take your time and be strong enough to stop and go back if needed. Have fun.

Make sure you have a bike you can pick up.
Cheers, Paul - great pics, and I guess that is my biggest worry - long trail, on own, hit a problem (either come off, or mechanical) - could be a long walk back to civilization! As you say, slow and steady, and if it looks bad, turn round and find something else.

Thanks again matey.
rbailey

Post by rbailey »

Lairyskippy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:16 pm I've had the Tenere and it was great, excellent on the road and in capable hands (not me) it will do everything most sane people would want. Loved it and would have another. I've currently got the Himalayan and it does everything the Tenere did but at a slower pace whilst giving much better fuel economy.

I'm guessing it doesn't help much but my advice would be to test all of them before you buy if you can.
Thanks
Lairyskippy wrote:. Have heard some decent things about Himalayan so intend to have a look. The bummer this time of year, is loads of dealers dont have demo's in, so have to wait a few weeks till march before I can get on one. Thats why I am trying to do my homework now I guess, to make a shortlist, so I am ready to test ride in March. Thanks for your response.
rbailey

Post by rbailey »

P4ulie wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:52 pm To be fair to the 250 CRF it's only called underpowered by the same people that class the AT as the same. I've ridden mine to Cornwall, Cumbria & Wales a few times from London & there's people travelling the world on them. It will comfortably chug along at 60mph with spare for overtakes, like the Himalayan you have to plan them mind.

The Tenere is probably the no mods required bike, but you're pushing that 185kg by quite a margin. It is also very tall & top heavy, I found it too much @ 5.8".

There are quite a lot more dirt focused, I'm sure the recommendations will fly in from those that are more knowledgeable. You can probably pick up a CCM GP450 for around 5 grand now, just as well I didn't buy mine as an investment :|

Many thanks for the response. I am around 6 foot, and 12 stone. I think the Tenere would be right at the top of the range of what I "think" I could man-handle around a trail / pick up if it hits the deck (especially loaded). Good shout re your trips on your CRF250 - some miles covered! I guess its all about getting your expectations sorted out on a 250cc. There is no "perfect bike" that will do 120MPH, great on road and off road and light as a feather. I am happy to compromise, just want to make sure I dont trade off on the wrong things. Main worry was it being a nightmare getting to where you wanted to be on the road - but encouraging to know you can cover miles on these bad boys though - as they look great for the trails when you get to your destination! ... What was your solution for luggage etc? Any recommendations?
rbailey

Post by rbailey »

Tramp wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:23 pm Might be crazy but just look on tet Facebook page and see what everyone is using :o .....basically every type of bike available....riding solo as a novice isn't recommended but then as babies we learnt to walk alone okay :roll:
Thanks for the response... I do have a friend who may come as well, but its less than sure. So I want to set myself up so I can go eitherway (but agree, better with 2!). I guess I should have added reliable and bullet proof to my "wish list" as well. Dont want any issues in the middle of nowhere on my own!
herman

Post by herman »

I will add bikes I have or have owned. XT660R lower and cheaper then the Z, TTR250 with a few upgrades , DRZ 400 don't particularly like them but will do the job and my current choice CB500x with a Rally Raid kit. Every thing will be a compromise , light will be good on the trails and easy to pick up but a chore on tarmac and visa versa.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

rbailey wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:24 pm
P4ulie wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:52 pm To be fair to the 250 CRF it's only called underpowered by the same people that class the AT as the same. I've ridden mine to Cornwall, Cumbria & Wales a few times from London & there's people travelling the world on them. It will comfortably chug along at 60mph with spare for overtakes, like the Himalayan you have to plan them mind.

The Tenere is probably the no mods required bike, but you're pushing that 185kg by quite a margin. It is also very tall & top heavy, I found it too much @ 5.8".

There are quite a lot more dirt focused, I'm sure the recommendations will fly in from those that are more knowledgeable. You can probably pick up a CCM GP450 for around 5 grand now, just as well I didn't buy mine as an investment :|

Many thanks for the response. I am around 6 foot, and 12 stone. I think the Tenere would be right at the top of the range of what I "think" I could man-handle around a trail / pick up if it hits the deck (especially loaded). Good shout re your trips on your CRF250 - some miles covered! I guess its all about getting your expectations sorted out on a 250cc. There is no "perfect bike" that will do 120MPH, great on road and off road and light as a feather. I am happy to compromise, just want to make sure I dont trade off on the wrong things. Main worry was it being a nightmare getting to where you wanted to be on the road - but encouraging to know you can cover miles on these bad boys though - as they look great for the trails when you get to your destination! ... What was your solution for luggage etc? Any recommendations?
My big bike is a GP450 so you may gather I'm not into massive displacement. You have to recalibrate the way you ride, a good example I did the NC500 with some pals in 2017, meeting at a campsite in Inverness. It took me 2 days to get there with a camp in Yorkshire, using A & wherever possible B roads. One guy on his Africa Twin just blasted up the M1 until he found a b&b above Glasgow. I certainly had more fun getting to Inverness :D

A rear rack (nothing fancy) and your good to go with any footpeg tied off soft luggage. Add a tank bag, tank panniers (I love) and a dry bag over the rear seat & even a 250 is capable of carrying everything you need for a week in the wilds
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Johnandhisbike

Post by Johnandhisbike »

I’ve got a xt660z and love it. I’ve done the NC500, lots of road trips plus plenty of TET in the north, the Stella Alpina in Italy, and some bits of the TET along the french/Italian border. I’m 6’1 (and a bit heavier) ;) but can lift it on my own (having dropped it plenty of times!). It is heavy and makes me swear sometimes, but i like riding somewhere, taking in some trails, and riding back so it suits me. It’ll cruise happily at 80 but not great over that. Off road it is a lump but I’ve asked a lot of it and it’s always plugged on without question.

Ive had to pick it up fully loaded and I’ve had to take the bags off, not a massive problem especially if you’re on uneven ground. I’d say take one for a spin sometime and see what you think (and here’s some pics for inspiration!).
Attachments
844A7EF9-53D7-46AD-8C47-71A8FAEDBD8F.jpeg
844A7EF9-53D7-46AD-8C47-71A8FAEDBD8F.jpeg (277.19 KiB) Viewed 2634 times
7EFF29D9-30B8-40C2-BE00-2C4FF8E8BFD5.jpeg
7EFF29D9-30B8-40C2-BE00-2C4FF8E8BFD5.jpeg (309.69 KiB) Viewed 2634 times
CB321A0E-F75F-457C-8A0A-E73E2815578C.jpeg
CB321A0E-F75F-457C-8A0A-E73E2815578C.jpeg (294.54 KiB) Viewed 2634 times

Return to “BIKES”