That new bike smell!

The Things We Ride
Mike54

Re: That new bike smell!

Post by Mike54 »

For a big trip def get a better quality shock, and consider changing the forks too, or at least uprating the springs and putting in better quality seals.
scoobydidler

Post by scoobydidler »

boboneleg wrote:A lovely pair indeed 8-)

Believe me if your going to ride off road change the rear shock , that's coming from a fat British guy Image
If bob hadn't said it, i was going to. Believe the hype in this instance, the rear shock is shite. If you're going on a big old trip then don't even waste your time figuring out whether or not it'll do the job. Put it in the bin and have done with it.
Look forward to the reports Image

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Mike54 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:00 am For a big trip def get a better quality shock, and consider changing the forks too, or at least uprating the springs and putting in better quality seals.
Why do Honda persist in putting poor quality suspension on their bikes....? It cannot add much more to the purchase price if they put a better unit on!
OB1

Post by OB1 »

SteveR wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:22 pm Why do Honda persist in putting poor quality suspension on their bikes....? It cannot add much more to the purchase price if they put a better unit on!

I don't think it's just Honda, Steve. Even though Triumph have put WP suspension on their top Tigers, it's still the bottom end of the market WP suspension. Don't get me wrong, it's better than the Showa that comes on the base model and it is fully adjustable, but it is probably the least that they can get away with and still charge £1,000 more than the base model.

I think, as a commuter bike or a little run-around, the standard suspension would be fine for me (around 12.5 stone) but, as others have mentioned, for what Mike and I need for our trip, a better set up will be required.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

OB1 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:44 pm

I think, as a commuter bike or a little run-around, the standard suspension would be fine for me (around 12.5 stone) but, as others have mentioned, for what Mike and I need for our trip, a better set up will be required.
Just a lightweight fella then ;-)

Totally agree that better setups will pay dividends. Sadly, I have seen myself that a few hundred quid is often needed...

Return to “BIKES”