Honda Africa Twin: a word of warning

The Things We Ride
HedgeHopper

Re: Honda Africa Twin: a word of warning

Post by HedgeHopper »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:24 pm
HedgeHopper wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:23 pm He can afford it
It looks like the rider bravely positioned himself between the crashbar and the ground to prevent any expensive damage!

:D
I'll have to remember that one :lol: ;)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I'm always a better off road rider when I'm riding a nicely worn-in bike.
Fear of the first dent/scrape on a pristine bike fecks my head up.
IMG_0753.JPG
IMG_0753.JPG (203.48 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
My old GS800 had been battered to bits by its previous owner and I carried on the good work!
When they're cheap(ish) and less than immaculate it's surprising what they'll go up, around, over and through.
Some bikes look better for a few scrapes and a bit of muck.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Im with you Stevew my Africa Twin is now 3 yrs old and I've dropped it a couple of times (in the garage trying to manoeuvre it out!!), but its only worth what a 2yr old Husky 701 in standard trim would cost me (which is what I would like but would need a comfy seat and screen!) so I'm best sticking with the AT, although I have Givi full crash bars (about £250 for the full set), and did drop it a couple of weeks ago at walking pace on a muddy byway the upper bar has bent inwards towards the (£350) plastic fairing but not touched it. I emailed Givi to see if A. they would give me a free one as I don't think it should have bent so easily or B sell me a replacement left hand side upper bar!
Their response was the crash bar did its job so I can whistle for a replacement!!!! and also you can only buy the full upper set for both sides!! so if anyone else has crashed on their right side and has a spare left side I'm your man lol... So im going to try and bend it back out for now and invest in some better tyres!!!
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I got a set of genuine Enfield Himalayan crash bars for less than forty quid. Ultimately they are just a bent bit of metal tube. Just proves how much we are prepared to pay for brand names.
Cheers Jak
Oblix

Post by Oblix »

dibbs wrote:Im with you Stevew my Africa Twin is now 3 yrs old and I've dropped it a couple of times (in the garage trying to manoeuvre it out!!), but its only worth what a 2yr old Husky 701 in standard trim would cost me (which is what I would like but would need a comfy seat and screen!) so I'm best sticking with the AT, although I have Givi full crash bars (about £250 for the full set), and did drop it a couple of weeks ago at walking pace on a muddy byway the upper bar has bent inwards towards the (£350) plastic fairing but not touched it. I emailed Givi to see if A. they would give me a free one as I don't think it should have bent so easily or B sell me a replacement left hand side upper bar!
Their response was the crash bar did its job so I can whistle for a replacement!!!! and also you can only buy the full upper set for both sides!! so if anyone else has crashed on their right side and has a spare left side I'm your man lol... So im going to try and bend it back out for now and invest in some better tyres!!!
I’ve dropped my AT at low-ish speed, the givi bars did their job, albeit gave way inwards on the side of impact. Considering the connection of the top and bottom bars are by a non-rigid connection, it is easily pulled back into position.. just not by hand (obviously).

What i found works well, is to position the bike in-between two fence/gate posts(that’s securely planted ofcourse) and use ratchet straps to tugg on either side of the Givi, with a third ratchet strap on the bike frame to the side not wishing to be corrected! As you said.. who replaces a crashbar for a scuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “BIKES”