Re: Goodbye 1190 - Hello Desert Sled!

Post by scutty »

The first mod is done and they work surprisingly well:
2018-12-01 10.00.51.jpg
2018-12-01 10.00.51.jpg (74.94 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I like the simplicity of the 'dash'. Just that off-set clock. The cable-routing could do with a bit of cleaning up, but that wouldn't be difficult.

Have you taken it properly off-road yet Scutty ?
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Yep thats proper nice , i'm off to buy a lotto ticket
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Very nice bike that :D
Neil M

Post by Neil M »

One passed me on the A3 during my commute last week. Maybe it was you, I turned a little bit green - looked and sounded great
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Been watching some youtube reviews of the sled. Very disappointing to find that it's 206kgs fully fuelled up. A small-ish unfaired V-twin dual sport like this ought to be max 170 really.

It's a real shame when even Ducati, who know how to build lightweight bikes, can't keep the pounds off. Pretty much the same engine is used in the 796 Hypermotard and that weighs in at about 185kgs fuelled. It's not as if radiators are adding to the total, because it's an old school air-cooled motor.

Still think it looks great and would be a fun casual street bike. To be fair all the reviews say how the weight seems to disappear when you get riding. But I bet it quickly 'appears' again when you're trying to pick it up out of a mud hole on your own. Light risk-free dirt trails only I think.
v8mark

Post by v8mark »

The sled s weight is very low down making it very streetable and through the twisties its a blast as for picking it up with panniers /soft luggage out of mud yep been there portugal has some great trails and mud its part of the deal wether its a ktm six days or a africa twin or a sled if your on your own its possible it could be a stuggle but with a group you have each other for mishaps
scutty

Post by scutty »

Neil M wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:00 am One passed me on the A3 during my commute last week. Maybe it was you, I turned a little bit green - looked and sounded great
Sounds likely - I commute on the A3 most days :)
scutty

Post by scutty »

daveuprite wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:47 am Been watching some youtube reviews of the sled. Very disappointing to find that it's 206kgs fully fuelled up. A small-ish unfaired V-twin dual sport like this ought to be max 170 really.

It's a real shame when even Ducati, who know how to build lightweight bikes, can't keep the pounds off. Pretty much the same engine is used in the 796 Hypermotard and that weighs in at about 185kgs fuelled. It's not as if radiators are adding to the total, because it's an old school air-cooled motor.

Still think it looks great and would be a fun casual street bike. To be fair all the reviews say how the weight seems to disappear when you get riding. But I bet it quickly 'appears' again when you're trying to pick it up out of a mud hole on your own. Light risk-free dirt trails only I think.
Its a LOT easier to pick up than my old 1190R, it just doesn't feel anywhere near that weight either riding it or pushing it. I'll let you know when I have to pick it up!

What it is though is a shit-ton of fun to ride and that, for me, is what counts. YMMV
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

scutty wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:58 am
daveuprite wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:47 am Been watching some youtube reviews of the sled. Very disappointing to find that it's 206kgs fully fuelled up. A small-ish unfaired V-twin dual sport like this ought to be max 170 really.

Its a LOT easier to pick up than my old 1190R, it just doesn't feel anywhere near that weight either riding it or pushing it. I'll let you know when I have to pick it up!

What it is though is a shit-ton of fun to ride and that, for me, is what counts. YMMV
Well at the end of the day fun is what it's all about. Most bikes are about leisure these days, rather than essential transport requirements, so the least they should be is exciting and interesting, and fun, to ride. I'm glad you're enjoying your Sled - it really does look like a fun bike. :)

Return to “BIKES”