Go Big and Ride Small

The Things We Ride
Cone

Re: Go Big and Ride Small

Post by Cone »

Landsurfer wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:22 pm I'll have it for my grandson ... please ....
You’ll need to do a little work on it! I haven’t used it since I was 16 and I’m 36 now!

Send me a pm and we can sort it out. I have probably lost the v5 it may be somewhere! Lol
Landsurfer

Post by Landsurfer »

Tink wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:42 pm
Landsurfer wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:26 pm Think in real terms the £3.2K i paid for my 2018 Himalayan was actually cheaper than my Sheffield MZ 300 ...
That was a bargain for the Himalayan🤗
Ex Demo .... 450 miles on the clock ... but full warranty .... :D
Go Out. Take Risks. Live.
“ No chains shall sully thee, Thou soul of love and brav’ry “
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Next project: Adding a 6 litre Honda lawnmower tank to extend the range of the C90 to over 200 miles 👍
A14AA8DD-E82D-403A-92EC-65322184D5CD.jpeg
A14AA8DD-E82D-403A-92EC-65322184D5CD.jpeg (146.86 KiB) Viewed 3095 times
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Godspeed wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:02 am Next project: Adding a 6 litre Honda lawnmower tank to extend the range of the C90 to over 200 miles 👍A14AA8DD-E82D-403A-92EC-65322184D5CD.jpeg
Excellent idea.

The problem is you'll have to ride up and down in neat lines from now on.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

daveuprite wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:19 am
Godspeed wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:02 am Next project: Adding a 6 litre Honda lawnmower tank to extend the range of the C90 to over 200 miles 👍A14AA8DD-E82D-403A-92EC-65322184D5CD.jpeg
Excellent idea.

The problem is you'll have to ride up and down in neat lines from now on.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
The Meandering Moustache

gbags

Post by gbags »

I’ve heard Vince Austin say that no-one ever wished they had a heavier bike but I had a different idea the other day.

I’m on a multi month trip with my wife on the back and enough kit to sustain us for as long as we want. We’re travelling over thousands of miles of dirt tracks and fast tarmac roads and although the size of my big bike was daunting at first, now I love it. It’s been called ‘a whale’ and ‘an elephant’ by blokes on smaller bikes but I’ve come to think of it as a warhorse. Unbreakable, strong, indomitable, ready to take on anything.

You can’t cane the shit out of a small bike on fast A roads, overtaking everything on mountain roads, setting your own pace. You can’t ride for hundreds of miles of gravel at a time without damage to the smaller bike. You can’t accelerate up mountains in any gear, however laden.

I don’t know how much goodwill a small bike generates (and I’ve heard it said that big, expensive bikes encourage resentment) but we’ve received endless goodwill, help, waves and nods from eveyone, cops included.

It’s certainly a case of horses for courses and in a busy city a scooter is better than any bike, in my opinion. But do you remember when you were young, rocking the small bike forward while riding, trying to get it to go faster? They were never gutsy enough. I just can’t see going back to bikes that you ditched as soon as you had enough money to get something better.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

gbags wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:55 am I’ve heard Vince Austin say that no-one ever wished they had a heavier bike
I've heard Austin Vince say "my best adventure was hitchhiking across America".

I also met a Muslim guy who was married to a Catholic, when asked "how does that work?" He replied "there is no right or wrong, just different"
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

gbags wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:55 am
You can’t cane the shit out of a small bike on fast A roads, overtaking everything on mountain roads, setting your own pace. You can’t ride for hundreds of miles of gravel at a time without damage to the smaller bike. You can’t accelerate up mountains in any gear, however laden
You’re right, each person to their own, and if you’re doing extended two up touring then something a bit more powerful is going to be the bees knees.

For a small bike it’s more in the mindset, do you need to blast down every road? Do you need to overtake everything? I’m pretty sure a small bike will do hundreds of miles on gravel roads with no extra damage, but would be a bit slower, that’s all.
And as for setting your own pace, a small bike is perfect, it’s just a much slower pace, that’s all 🙂

Have a great adventure 👍
The Meandering Moustache

Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

Godspeed wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:26 am
gbags wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:55 am
You can’t cane the shit out of a small bike on fast A roads, overtaking everything on mountain roads, setting your own pace. You can’t ride for hundreds of miles of gravel at a time without damage to the smaller bike. You can’t accelerate up mountains in any gear, however laden
You’re right, each person to their own, and if you’re doing extended two up touring then something a bit more powerful is going to be the bees knees.

For a small bike it’s more in the mindset, do you need to blast down every road? Do you need to overtake everything? I’m pretty sure a small bike will do hundreds of miles on gravel roads with no extra damage, but would be a bit slower, that’s all.
And as for setting your own pace, a small bike is perfect, it’s just a much slower pace, that’s all 🙂

Have a great adventure 👍
Nearly totally agree. My C90 is excellent for extended touring, but if I'm really going a long way then I get my big tourer out, (My CRF250 Rally). It was ideal for my run from Spain up the length of France last year, it will be fine for my two weeks in Germany in May/June and it will carry me leading a touring group on all sizes of bikes in the Massif Centrale in September.
With over 12,000 miles on the clock in the first year, it's one of the most capable bikes I've ever owned. It's a mindset things much as anything else. And yes I've had big 1000cc plus tourers and sportsbikes, but I guess I just grew out of them and learned to travel lighter and further and deeper into the scenery.

See you at the ABR Rally and the Southern Softies😁
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
gbags

Post by gbags »

‘Southern Softies’?

Return to “BIKES”