Husky FE450 for Adventure riding????

The Things We Ride
dibbs

Husky FE450 for Adventure riding????

Post by dibbs »

Ive been thinking for a while now about the possibility of adventurizing my Husky FE450 for UK based short weekend rides etc. My mate Oblix from here is going to ride to Dover from Essex and then ride some of the TET to Salisbury etc, then cut back to Essex (around 400 miles) so I got to thinking as I already have a 'smallish' dirt/trail bike why buy another more road oriented machine, why not just adventurize what I've already got! but my paranoid self thinks that too much road at constant speeds will kill my husky!

So, over to the experts what do you think of this kind of thing, is it worth doing? what mods will i need to make if any? (apart from a comfort seat) and have any of you run an enduro bike as a road option and how far? what sort of top speed? Im aware of the oil and fiter changes required and the frequency of this, but its not a problem for me to carry spares, im just scarred of killing the engine riding it around on the road for 100's of miles!
Hugh

Re: Husky FE450 for Adventure riding????

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I do not have the experience of the bike in question but I would be sure that it could cope with extended run speed in top gear. I do know folk who have these bikes and they are very pleased with them.

The engine, etc, will be operating at optimum temperature and smoother loading, however I am somewhat 'old school' and still think that it is best to vary speed and load even though I tend to drive on cruise control :oops:

Everything is a compromise you just need to figure out which conditions require greater emphasis, tarmac road or unsealed :idea:

TTFN

Hugh.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

My KTM 450 EXC was good for a genuine 90+ mph on the road with the standard gearing. As it was an enduro bike, like the FE450, about 30 miles of road work was enough due to the riding position, the non rubber mounted pegs, the knobbly tyres, and the handling etc. However loads of riders ride the supermoto version exclusively on the road, which is basically just a different set of wheels and tyres, and they don't seem to have any problems with extended road use. Regular oil and filter changes would be a must, though.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Cone

Post by Cone »

Just buy a 701 just like your mate (I think) :D

You won’t regret it
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Thanks for the positive replies chaps! I’m feeling a bit less anxious about it now.

cone this is what I’m trying to avoid!!! (Yes he does have a very nice 701, and I’m fighting the urge to change!!!!) keep the comments coming all
Thanks 🙂🙂🙂🙂
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Watching this with interest as thinking of doing the same, adventurising my g450x , and getting smaller option for the trails, or do I buy a wrf and do a diggerman on it..... :D
Toe

Post by Toe »

I wouldn't have any concerns about it tbh. It can get tiring on a bike like that on the longer, 'making up distance/time' stretches but it will be great everywhere else. What year bike is it out of interest?
Adventure Spec Tracks have a good section where a few guys did write ups on using their KTM 400/450s and there's a vid about their trip too.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I rode about 1200 miles around the Pyrenees and Spain on my Yamaha WR250F on standard gearing and no luggage except a heavy Bergen on my back. The seat was torture especially as a 40lb pack pushed me harder onto the plank for a seat. The bike however did brilliantly and i didn,t even change the oil on my trip. You are right about long range tanks,it is always one of my first modifications to a bike but 9-10 litres or round about 90-100 miles range is plenty for a European trip as obtaining fuel is not a problem and you are ready to stop by that point anyway. I just put long range tanks on because i feel like i should . I have fitted a comfortable seat on my Suzuki DRZ400s and it is now near perfect for what i do riding wise. I often think about getting a bigger bike but it can cut your options as to the sort of terrain you ride if like me you are not a super hero that can off road a big bike well.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Chunky butt.....If you live up to your handle, then perhaps you can cope, but I have to say I had the same idea for my G450X, but a 100 or so mixed miles of trails and road allways left my arse feeling like it had spent a night in the wrong cell at Broadmoor. :shock:

I also allways thought it needed a 6th gear, but good luck I would try the merrikan forums as they seem to have had success (not that I believe anything a yank says :lol: )
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

HedgeHopper wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:21 pm Chunky butt.....If you live up to your handle, then perhaps you can cope, but I have to say I had the same idea for my G450X, but a 100 or so mixed miles of trails and road allways left my arse feeling like it had spent a night in the wrong cell at Broadmoor. :shock:

I also allways thought it needed a 6th gear, but good luck I would try the merrikan forums as they seem to have had success (not that I believe anything a yank says :lol: )
Know exactly what you mean about the seat, especially with my fat arse, lol, but it will need a seat base specially made to convert it as its an all in one foam thingy seat, sorry can't comment on the broadmoor issue !!! Yeah and could do with a six gear, as I say just mulling it over at mo. Have seen a few converted and look good....food for thought. Sorry to hijack thread.

Return to “BIKES”