Wr450f

The Things We Ride
diggermanbob

Wr450f

Post by diggermanbob »

Yamaha WR450f anyone got one , are they good bad indifferent , thinking about adventurising one , not ridden one yet but would appreciate any feedback.
chunky butt

Re: Wr450f

Post by chunky butt »

Eh up Bob....sounds good to me, know you can get a big tank for them.... :D
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Hi Bob. I've ridden a few and they're not my favourite bike, personally, but they do have longer than average service intervals for an enduro-type bike and they are fairly tough. Also spares are plentiful and quite cheap. They do convert well to a longer distance adv bike.

It matters a lot which one you get. The earlier carbed bikes can be pigs to ride without a lot of set up time. Go for post-2012 injected if your budget allows - but you will still need to install a GYTR kit to get it to run smoothly, and an aftermarket pipe fitted in parallel to the GYTR is almost essential - preferably set up on a dyno.

They are a bit heavier and less agile than equivalent European enduros from the likes of KTM, Sherco, Beta, Husqvarna. But compared to my Beta, for instance, finding aftermarket parts to bling/improve a WRF is a joy - ebay is brimming with them. And huge amounts of advice on thumpertalk of course.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:55 am Hi Bob. I've ridden a few and they're not my favourite bike, personally, but they do have longer than average service intervals for an enduro-type bike and they are fairly tough. Also spares are plentiful and quite cheap. They do convert well to a longer distance adv bike.

It matters a lot which one you get. The earlier carbed bikes can be pigs to ride without a lot of set up time. Go for post-2012 injected if your budget allows - but you will still need to install a GYTR kit to get it to run smoothly, and an aftermarket pipe fitted in parallel to the GYTR is almost essential - preferably set up on a dyno.

They are a bit heavier and less agile than equivalent European enduros from the likes of KTM, Sherco, Beta, Husqvarna. But compared to my Beta, for instance, finding aftermarket parts to bling/improve a WRF is a joy - ebay is brimming with them. And huge amounts of advice on thumpertalk of course.
Thanks Dave , it's just an idea that might come to fruition over the next month or three :D
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Bit of advice here:

SETTING UP THE WR450F AS AN ADVENTURE BIKE
Check out this video on mods for the WR450F as an adventure bike. Usually you don't bother adventure riding high performance dirt bikes due to the high maintenance needed with the extra miles ridden. But quite a few riders do these mods to the WR450F because the engine needs a lot less work than most. Here's a useful thread on adventure WR450F bikes, suggesting:

* 15/45 gearing or similar for highway cruising
* Rekluse auto clutch for a usable first gear in gnarly territory ($450)
* Add a Jagg oiler or make an auxiliary oil tank for less oil changes
* Dunlop D606 tyres or similar
Fit a DRZ400SM 310mm front disc and caliper adapter for road braking
* Adapt a Husky TE610E rear wheel for the cush drive hub (info here)
* Fastway Pro moto billet packs and fender packs
* Acerbis 6.6 gallon tank, or smaller Clarke tank
* HID headlight and/or auxiliary LED driving lights
* Repad the seat yourself, or get an aftermarket one like the SeatConcepts.
Let's face it, the WR450F will not make the perfect adventure bike, you need the extra engine capacity. But if you want to ride gnarly trails, but also do the longer trips then these mods will give you a surprisingly capable bike with low maintenance intervals. A major point is the five-speed gearbox which doesn't have very wide ratios, but a Rekluse auto clutch makes an incredible difference if you want to opt for high gearing but still do slow tough riding.

Comes from here: https://sites.google.com/site/yamahawr450fwr250f/
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Have a chat with Skygod, aka Gary at The Adventure Bike Warehouse. He was using a Yamaha for Rallyes a couple of years back.
The Tuareg in Morocco springs to mind.

There’s much more stuff/info for KTM’s mind, but if you think that blue is a nicer colour.......
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

OnHellas wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:06 am Have a chat with Skygod, aka Gary at The Adventure Bike Warehouse. He was using a Yamaha for Rallyes a couple of years back.

There’s much more stuff/info for KTM’s mind, but if you think that blue is a nicer colour.......
KTM is in the frame as well 450 exc with RFS engine same as PIF has !!!
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

diggermanbob wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:31 am
OnHellas wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:06 am Have a chat with Skygod, aka Gary at The Adventure Bike Warehouse. He was using a Yamaha for Rallyes a couple of years back.

KTM is in the frame as well 450 exc with RFS engine same as PIF has !!!
Yep, take a look at the big KTM RFS engine rather than the 450. I.E. 525. And remember the same engine is fitted in the pre-2010 Beta 525. Lots of low down lug and could be geared up for a higher cruising speed. Easy to get big tanks, bash plates, spare parts etc etc.
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Blimey Bob i thought you werewell cuffed with the TTR , or have you just got to much time on your hands ;) by the way mines a 400exc supposed to be a lot less snappy than the 450 but i not had one so can't compair , must say that my 400 realy suprised me and made me smile on all the 1968kms we did , she's getting a full overhaul very soon 8-)
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

PHILinFRANCE wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:53 am Blimey Bob i thought you werewell cuffed with the TTR , or have you just got to much time on your hands ;) by the way mines a 400exc supposed to be a lot less snappy than the 450 but i not had one so can't compair , must say that my 400 realy suprised me and made me smile on all the 1968kms we did , she's getting a full overhaul very soon 8-)
I Am chuffed to bits with the ttr but always room for another project ;)

Return to “BIKES”