Why such a low mileage?

The Things We Ride
HarveyCamm

Re: Why such a low mileage?

Post by HarveyCamm »

500 miles is about 8 days commuting :P - good news for those of us who'll be looking for a second hand bike in the next couple of years, bad news for the industry as it'll probably mean bike shops shutting down through lack of income from servicing work.
I reckon I'll have to pay someone to drag the corpse of my bike away when I'm done with it :lol:
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

I know a few people when be had their midlife crisis and wanted a motorbike, bought all the gear and done their test before buying new bikes with more power and totally different to the bike they passed their test on. After going out for a few rides to the coast then bikes have never come out the garage again. A few months later they’ve sold the bikes and gear at a big loss.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Back in 2006, I bought an old stock Cagiva Raptor 1000 and put 3,000 miles on it in 3 months. I was having issues with the footpeg to seat distance giving me cramp in my legs, so I popped down to Essex BMW to look at trading it in for a R1150R Rockster. The dealership offered me £2,500 for the Cagiva because the mileage was high... I eventually traded it with 6,000 miles showing for a Speed Triple and lost no money.

Another bike that I have recently sold was a 1978 Honda CB400 A Hondamatic. 40 years old with fewer than 10,000 miles showing!

A friend of mine has owned in excess of 200 bikes, most of which he bought new, put a couple of hundred miles on and then exchanged for the next bike he wanted. He's probably lost thousands over the years but that's what he likes to do so that he can say that he owned a certain bike. I don't think he's had a first service for years and never has to buy tyres or chains.

Each to their own, I suppose.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

OnHellas wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:08 am During my 15 or so years working in the motorcycle trade there seemed to be a percentage of bike owners that were very proud of their low mileage bikes.

I was never sure of the reason, but I usually thought it was that theirs was a nice ‘low mileage’ example and therefore worth more money.

Also, I think that there are instances of people scared to do too many miles to protect the value.
I was once accused of trying to rip people off by offering for sale a very nice Honda VFR750 with, wait for it.....25,000 Miles.
When I asked where the rip off was the guy told me that ‘with that kind of mileage the bike is obviously worn out.’ Go figure.

On the other hand there are plenty that simply don’t get on with their chosen steed.
Plus all the above reasons.
I agree. When looking for a replacement for my well used Harley Davidson MT350 i spent ages looking for a pristine low mileage Suzuki DRZ400s. It had 3,500 miles ut on it in ten years! Will i try to keep the mileage low? Probably not and it has already been dropped a couple of times.
bowber

Post by bowber »

There was me worrying that I'd only put 14k miles on my 1050 in 2 years and now I'm thinking of selling it and wondering how much I'll lose!

Steve
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Just MoT'd my Morini Scrambler and only done 600 miles since last year but it is my Sunday breakfast meeting bike and worth keeping :D
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

maybe he had a controlling wife that wouldnt let him out to ride. we all know how hard it can be to get a weekend pass from the wife
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
bowber

Post by bowber »

Mikekitts81 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:41 pm maybe he had a controlling wife that wouldnt let him out to ride. we all know how hard it can be to get a weekend pass from the wife
Yes :lol:

Steve
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Mikekitts81 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:41 pm maybe he had a controlling wife that wouldnt let him out to ride. we all know how hard it can be to get a weekend pass from the wife
Depends who's wearing the trousers innit :lol:
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

OB1 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:07 am Back in 2006, I bought an old stock Cagiva Raptor 1000 and put 3,000 miles on it in 3 months. I was having issues with the footpeg to seat distance giving me cramp in my legs, so I popped down to Essex BMW to look at trading it in for a R1150R Rockster. The dealership offered me £2,500 for the Cagiva because the mileage was high... I eventually traded it with 6,000 miles showing for a Speed Triple and lost no money.

Another bike that I have recently sold was a 1978 Honda CB400 A Hondamatic. 40 years old with fewer than 10,000 miles showing!

A friend of mine has owned in excess of 200 bikes, most of which he bought new, put a couple of hundred miles on and then exchanged for the next bike he wanted. He's probably lost thousands over the years but that's what he likes to do so that he can say that he owned a certain bike. I don't think he's had a first service for years and never has to buy tyres or chains.

Each to their own, I suppose.
The Cagiva was high mileage. The average mileage on a bike in the U.K. is around 3000.
Therefore a 3 month old bike with that amount miles on is high, compared to average.
This isn’t the dealer network saying this, it’s the market. A dealer, yes I was one, will value something at the point of buying it in based on what he thinks, thinks not can, sell it for.
Unless of course he had the bike underwritten by another trader. Then he knows what he’ll get.
Of course, each dealer sees a bike differently. I did buy and sell a couple of Cagivas in my time. But they had to be cheap for me to take the punt. They weren’t the quickest sellers, as you know, you had an old stock bargain.....and good luck to you.

Return to “BIKES”