Hacked off with KTM

The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

Hacked off with KTM

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Some years ago, my KTM 950 was subject to a compulsory recall which required the fitment of a new rear-brake master cylinder and other components.

The inspection window in the replacement cylinder has now fallen out, resulting in the loss of the rear brake.

The windows are not available separately, and the master cylinders are on global back order until the second week of August. I've got one on order for £116...for the sake of a glass window the size of a small coin.

I'm not the only person to have lost a window. It's a fault which has been reported on ADVrider in the USA.

So, they replaced one potentially safety-critical faulty component with another safety-critical faulty component, and don't bother providing any support or back-up. What a change in attitude from KTM, which always had such a good reputation for customer support.

Think hard before you buy a new KTM.
HedgeHopper

Re: Hacked off with KTM

Post by HedgeHopper »

Araldite?
Richard Simpson Mark II

I'll be finding a small washer or similar to glue over the window when the replacement arrives. The original component is only stuck in with glue anyway...even though it's safety-critical. Absolutely shocking....but then again it seems that Brembo is not what it used to be.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/0 ... ke-defect/
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Coincidence you post this. Exactly the same happened with my rear master cylinder a few weeks ago on my 950 SE. Small window fell out. I stuck a small coin in and used Chemical metal over the top. But my screw were like butter and rounded off. So I ended up having to buy a new one, cost approx. £100 from Jersey Bikers. Took about 2 weeks to get to me.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Euro 1c coin almost perfect fit.

Mine fell out luckily I had a guard which caught held the glass till I got home.
By the way this happened on a wet cold winter's day which made ride home rather exciting using only front brake.
Ordered a new.one from Jim Aim arrived within days, it looks like the newer ones have a slightly different design.

I used araldite to put the glass back in old one, which now resides in my spares box.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I understand the frustration but it's worth remembering that the last production year of the 950 adv was 2006, so it shouldn't be a huge surprise that very specific parts might have a wait, nor should it put you off buying a newer model KTM. All bikes have these issues with older, and sometimes newer models with parts availability.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Mike54 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:02 pm I understand the frustration but it's worth remembering that the last production year of the 950 adv was 2006, so it shouldn't be a huge surprise that very specific parts might have a wait, nor should it put you off buying a newer model KTM. All bikes have these issues with older, and sometimes newer models with parts availability.
Bloody hell Mike heat got you, no swearing no abusive :lol:
Actually very sensible, following an incident prior to the KTM Rally I made enquiries about a new rear wheel, and the long and short of the matter was that KTM no longer make wheels for the 950,
I daresay as time goes on they will stop making and supplying a lot of parts, so best to start stocking up on parts as they come along. :ugeek:
Richard Simpson Mark II

I hear what you are saying ...but

1) Other KTM riders have had this specific problem with the part fitted post-recall.

2) The part itself is much newer than the bike...the recall campaign happened after 950 Adv production had ceased.

3) KTM replaced one safety-critical problem part with another part with a different (but even more lethal) problem.

4) How can they justify a 3-figure price for a safety-critical part which is held together with a tiny smear of glue? I'm not an engineer, but even I can see that the port should be of a stepped profile and machined so the lens can be secured with a circlip after installation.

It's just shoddy beyond recognition. Plus, it's dangerous. Shame on KTM
Toe

Post by Toe »

Bike Torque Racing supply Brembo parts including master cylinders. Parts from an OEM are always going to be more expensive, particularly if they're from a third party as well (I would think) so might get lucky and there's one that fits for less.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
Richard Simpson Mark II

It gets worse...

I just looked at my other bikes...and the GasGas Pamera...a cheapo fun bike from the same year as my KTM... has a similar design of integrated caliper, but the window is held in by a clip.

Less than half the price of the KTM new...

Return to “BIKES”