Hacked off with KTM

The Things We Ride
Jak*

Re: Hacked off with KTM

Post by Jak* »

As I have found out, to my cost with my CCM a high purchase price does not indicate quality, either in terms of equipment or service. One of the reasons I am likely to go back to older bikes, is that parts are often more readily available and substantially cheaper.
Cheers Jak
deksawyer

Post by deksawyer »

AMS KTM have a 990 Adv rear master cyl in stock - part no. 60013060300. Use code ktmf15 to save 15%.

D.
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

beddowsm wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:49 pm Coincidence you post this. Exactly the same happened with my rear master cylinder a few weeks ago on my 950 SE. Small window fell out. I stuck a small coin in and used Chemical metal over the top. But my screw were like butter and rounded off. So I ended up having to buy a new one, cost approx. £100 from Jersey Bikers. Took about 2 weeks to get to me.
This is really interesting beddowsm. Clearly you are a whizz with the spanner’s. Can you post up a how to vid of this mod as some of us could use the advice. Thanks in advance.
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

If it is happening to others then report to VOSA. It is after all safety critical.

Tom

Found the link:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and- ... ety-defect

Tom
Last edited by Sanqhar on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... and today was a good day in the life of...
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Remember its Brembo--and probably a very common master cylinder to loads of other bikes--including Italian. Its no excuse but it does seem that they have had a batch quality issue (Brembo that is). These days its difficult to know where the part was actually made(e.g. China--and they are known for sometimes having random quality control). I recently bought a Nissin rear Master cylinder complete from China (Nissin on the casting anyway)--and it was peanuts in comparison--function is fine--so I'm not knocking Chinese products--they have come a long, long way and are set to establish here in Europe--having conquered the rest of the world!--Brembo could well have a batch problem--do some research on the problem and go direct to KTM HQ--not a dealer.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

There's been some reports of leaking master cylinders on Ducati Multistradas. Seems like Brembo maybe the ones with the issues.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

With it being a 'relatively' common older bike surely there is a better replacement part out there? Why would you replace a known weak component with the same part?
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

A master cylinder is a master cylinder. As long as you can mount it to the bike in it’s correct orientation and the brake line attaches to it, the pedal functions correctly, it doesn’t really matter which one you use.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Uncle Buck wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:58 pm A master cylinder is a master cylinder. As long as you can mount it to the bike in it’s correct orientation and the brake line attaches to it, the pedal functions correctly, it doesn’t really matter which one you use.
broadly speaking yes, but the volume of fluid displaced by the piston will have an effect on pedal travel and feel

I.E. if the piston is larger it will take less pedal travel to engage and feel harder at the pedal to achieve same breaking force (vice versa if piston is smaller)

Most people wont notice a small difference.

Return to “BIKES”