Benelli TRK 502

The Things We Ride
SteveR

Re: Benelli TRK 502

Post by SteveR »

Paul_C wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:42 pm Although it's not on his website this guy rents them out.

http://virtusoffroad.com/quienessomosen.html

His main business is renting and guiding off road on KTM's. I just stopped there for a coffee in 2017 and didn't realise there was also a bike business based there. Seemed like a nice guy.

This FB group covers his on road side.
https://www.facebook.com/Virtus-on-Road ... GBZaEgikTz

Not far from Burgos, northern Spain.
Interesting. I wonder how much for a weeks hire would be, to take one down the Portugese ACT route ;)
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

Went and had a look at these in our local KTM/Kawasaki/Benelli dealer and to be honest I was quite impressed. Have t had a test ride but from what I can see and from their popularity across mainland Europe they look like a bargain.
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

I had a ride of the X model and thought it quite a decent ride.
http://www.gettingintoadventure.com/ben ... irst-ride/
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Lairyskippy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:04 pm Went and had a look at these in our local KTM/Kawasaki/Benelli dealer and to be honest I was quite impressed. Have t had a test ride but from what I can see and from their popularity across mainland Europe they look like a bargain.
I was about to ask wherw your dealer is located for you to get a Test ride, then I looked at your profile.... :lol:

My dealer has no test bike ... No ride, no bike! ;)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

nathanm wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:09 pm I had a ride of the X model and thought it quite a decent ride.
http://www.gettingintoadventure.com/ben ... irst-ride/
Thank you Mr M! Not seen this report :-)

Can I ask for any comment you might have got for the motor and the reports I have seen/read on some vibes issues at the top end please? For me, I am particularly concerned if the 75mph area is bad?? I ruled out a GS800 several years ago after one test ride down a dual carriageway! So bad on the vibes through the bars, seat and pegs, I thought something was wrong! :o
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Hey Steve

Yeah you know what, when I first set off on the Benelli I did think it was a bit buzzy through the bum and feet. On a short ish test ride I can definitely see how you're reach that conclusion. I had a good ride on the regular TRK502 last year over to Wales and I can't say as I noticed it after a bit of time in the saddle. I spent less time on the X model and it was a bit the same; I didn't really notice anything after 10-15 miles. So I wouldn't say it was massively buzzy. Just a bit buzzy when you first get on it. If that makes sense.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... ial-review

I genuinely think they're a decent bike and were it not for Honda sticking a 19-inch front in the CB500X for 2019 I think I'd definitely have had one over the Honda. And I still might as I like something a bit different.

Best bet is to get over to Cooperb in Northampton or some other Benelli dealer and take one for a spin. Definitely worth a shot.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Thanks for that Nathan, this all adds to assist the decision making process! ;)

I will contact the Dealer you suggest, and see if they have a demo bike available later in the month. It's not a million miles away, and I will be down that way way in March so I can see what they say.

The problem is, that having been pointed to your reviews, the RR BMW 310GS really appeals to me... However, even with grabbing a low miled 2nd hand bike, it's a fair bit of wonga, albeit for a bike I would like and use. But cheaper than some of the alternatives... :lol:
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Ha. Apologies for throwing a spanner in the works!

Yes, the stock 310GS is a bit poor in my honest opinion, but the transformation with the RR kit is quite something.

If you built it piecemeal you could get away with the suspension upgrade, risers, bars, sump guard, screen etc and that'd immediately transform it to ride. Obviously it's the wheels that make it look the part but they're not as crucial as the other stuff. Ah, the end can as well transforms the bike, which I never thought I'd say.

Drop by the Rally Raid factory whilst you're over that way. They're only down the road from Cooperb and if you arrange it with John or Adam I'm sure they'd have a natter about it.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

nathanm wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:24 pm Ha. Apologies for throwing a spanner in the works!

Yes, the stock 310GS is a bit poor in my honest opinion, but the transformation with the RR kit is quite something.

If you built it piecemeal you could get away with the suspension upgrade, risers, bars, sump guard, screen etc and that'd immediately transform it to ride. Obviously it's the wheels that make it look the part but they're not as crucial as the other stuff. Ah, the end can as well transforms the bike, which I never thought I'd say.

Drop by the Rally Raid factory whilst you're over that way. They're only down the road from Cooperb and if you arrange it with John or Adam I'm sure they'd have a natter about it.
Gonna pop over to Wolvo and have a sit on a GS next week... That's the first test of any bike for me. Generous knee angles... There seem to be zillions of pre-reg and ex-demo bikes about the country mind... Could be some good deals to be done...

TBH, the suspension stuff is the clever kit from my take on the conversion, the rest of the farkles can be sourced off the Internet easily, and probably a lot more cheaply!! Chuck a TKC on the front and a K60 on the rear, and it'll look better, and work off-road on hard dirt like in Spain/Portugal I would say. :D

But of course, not as accomplished as a TRK on the road... I am think of a replacement for my Honda NX400 really, and can see this would work for me, and keep the ageing Vara for the odd motorway jaunt!

See what the accountant says after next week :lol:

Return to “BIKES”