New bike

The Things We Ride
Teflon Jnr

New bike

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Hi folks I'm after a bit of advice after 3 and a half years of owing my 650 Kawasaki versys and spending a whole load of money getting it to what I wanted and 40k miles I'm looking to change it in the distant future I'm torn between 2 bikes a 1200 gsa or a ktm 990 adventure any advice would be greatly received
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡บ
zimtim

Re: New bike

Post by zimtim »

Depends on what you want to do with.
Touring 2 up and commuting then it's the GSA.
Off road, touring, commuting and having a massive grin then it's the 990.

Test ride both and see which one would suit you best ultimately it's your money your decision.
But being a KTM owner I am biased
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

How did I know you would say that Tim

herman

Post by herman »

Look at the riding you intend to do first, I kid myself that a 1090r is the bike for me but then return from a recent euro trip and an FJr 1200 would of been better for it. Middle ground is actually the S10 I already have, go figure.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I've had both and it'd be the BMW for me.
Like previously stated it depends on your riding aspirations or image you want to project.
The BMW is more economical, has more torque, better tank range, better weather protection and better comfort (although the 990 is pretty comfy). The 990 is probably a bit faster....but you've got to really work that engine to beat the BMW. The BMW's torque makes it feel more powerful.
The 990 looks harder and is lighter, so better off road.....although why you'd want to take a big lump like a 990 on U.K. Lanes is beyond my comprehension.....far more fun to be had on a smaller enduro.
If however you plan to travel beyond Western European tarmac and explore rougher roads, then I suppose the 990 would be the bike.
It's a close call.
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Like Steve W I have had the 990 (and its predecessor the 950 ) but I am now using a GSA1200 for commuting. If you want to have a road only bike the GSA wins by a mile, for comfort, economy and durability. With the 990 you can be lucky or unlucky with the performance, there are well documented issues with the jerky throttle response that can cost a lot of money to rectify, I got there in the end, remap's SAS removal, replacement Cans etc. but it soured my relationship and I sold it shortly after. The other thing to consider is maintenance, whether you intend to do it yourself, the 990 is a pain in the arse to do a freeking oil change let alone the valve clearances, compared to the Panzer. Taking the poxy fuel tanks off to get at anything is a faff, and again there are lots of annoying failures of components on the 990 that will require this given that any 990 you buy will now likely to be at least 5 years old.

If you can get a low mileage one with genuine history get the 950, its by far a better bike than the 990 ever was, but expect to pay top money for it, and expect the niggles like blisstering on the tank decals, worn hubs, flats on the wheels rims as most have ben off-road.

So , pound for pound the GSA is cheaper and easier to run and maintain, none of this Motorex 'Swiss Gold' malarky a decent 20W50 will be suffice, servicing is easy and as long as you buy a non ABS version you shouldn't have half the amount if problems you can be certain of with the 990.

However............... ..............if you want ' Grin factor' the Big Katoom should be your choice, the Panzer is dull by comparison, but will plod away all day and night to get you where you want to be, it just wont get the Adrenalin going ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Hope this helps ??

Sarge
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Some good food for thought there I rode my dad's 13 plate gsa today and was blown away with it it's everything I'd want in a bike.but in a few years, I want something gnarly and untamed and hooligan lol before I get refined and predictable plus the ktm is an orange hooligan so I've booked a test ride for Thursday on a 990 fully loaded I now have a benchmark after riding the bmw today I think I may be the new owner of a white 990 on Thursday if it's as described in not mithered about maintenance problems I like tinkering and have a cracking support network of pals in the know so watch this space is there anything I should look out for when I go to test ride known flaws etc

Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Test ride them all as the ktm aint all roses.... Oil change is expensive to start....

Read up on the ktm faults inc the new range... Hybrid race horses need constant pampering were as a tractor just needs a good kick...
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

http://www.ktm950.info/

covers the 990 as well

Any question ask here
https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=93

or
http://advrider.com/index.php?forums/orange-crush.90/

Spokes are generally shite. as said check wheels.
If its the 990 check whether jerky throttle has been sorted many ways around as on KTM forum,
as with all bikes check for good service intervals, you can do a good home service for less than a ยฃ100.
they chew up and spit out rear tyres.

The GSA is your comfortable wife at home, the KTM is the high maintenance dirty mistress.
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I have a comfortable Mrs at home in fact she is buying me this new bike I think I would prefer the dirty mistress too give me a little naugtyness

Return to โ€œBIKESโ€