Bike tie down to trailer advice

The Things We Ride
Fishandchips

Bike tie down to trailer advice

Post by Fishandchips »

So I have made a few modifications to a trailer (not a bike trailer) to hold the bike by the front and rear wheel but I was thinking about strapping it down.

How much pressure to load the suspension?

The trailer I have also has zero suspension.

So do I tighten the ratchet straps to just snug? Compress the forks a couple of inch or really tight? Most of my travel will be motorway if that makes a difference.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Bike tie down to trailer advice

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Hard as you can, given the limitations of the straps. Anything less and the suspension will flex, with the potential for the straps to come loose or fly off.

If you are frightened of over-compressing the forks, wedge a piece of wood between the front wheel and the mudguard (assuming you have a mudguard attached to the bottom yoke), then pull down until that is squashing into the tyre.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Straps over the tyres and one over the seat. Use a wheel chock at the front if you want more peace of mind.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Fishandchips

Post by Fishandchips »

Cheers for the advice, I’ll wedge the suspension and rack it down hard and go for a test run tomorrow.

You get a bit paranoid putting a 5 grand bike on a £250 second hand trailer.

What could go wrong 🤧 😂
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:57 pm Hard as you can, given the limitations of the straps. Anything less and the suspension will flex, with the potential for the straps to come loose or fly off.

If you are frightened of over-compressing the forks, wedge a piece of wood between the front wheel and the mudguard (assuming you have a mudguard attached to the bottom yoke), then pull down until that is squashing into the tyre.
WHOA there, no way should you do this. Ratchets can and do break, not to mention there is simply no need. Put the suspension under small load but don't use straps which have hooks, continuous loops are better, or just put in your own carabiners. That way they cant bounce out. There is no need to use ratchet straps at all.

This is not a debate, the advice in quotes above is simply not correct and should not be heeded.
Richard Simpson Mark II

You missed the 'limitations of the straps' bit there Mike.
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

No need to ratchet down overly tight, it will stress to many point, and won't do the suspension any favours, as said place a fork brace or piece of wood to stop the forks compressing to much, tie down from the bars and one over the rear wheel or both sides of the frame/swing arm lower than the rear shock, so it's not under any load, once you have strapped the bike down, rock it from side to side to see how sturdy it is, and adjust as necessary, the main force will be under brakeing, so put the front wheel up to the chock or headboard and inline with the towing vehicle.
Richard Simpson Mark II

It's an unsprung trailer...you need it tightened down as far as pos, with tension on the front and rear....straps as close to 45 degrees as you can, too.

Ideally ring the front straps forward and the rear straps back
Q plate

Post by Q plate »

After years of safe trailering enduro bikes had a strap 'go' a while back my luck it was the inner one so the outer pulled it off the side & down the road.. right messy :| once it's strapped I now always add an additional strap running from left/round the bars/ right as a safety. Conflicting advice but I've always found restricting the forks from compressing reduces any sway. Acerbis produce a plastic one for the job but as said a piece of wood does the same job

Regards AL
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

I hate to be boring , but your trailer is illegal mate, and unsafe.

Except for agricultural trailers restricted to 40 kmh (25 mph ) then section 22 of the construction and use regulations states: 2.—(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (3) and (4), every motor vehicle and every trailer shall be equipped with suitable and sufficient springs between each wheel and the frame of the vehicle.

So whats the reason for this then , same as why we have brakes ..... cos its dangerous. If you have no suspension the full force of any loading goes directly into the structure of the trailer , rather than being absorbed by the springs . So when you go over a pot hole and the axle is torn off, you'll know why.

Return to “BIKES”