Honda 450L

The Things We Ride
johnnyboxer

Re: Honda 450L

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote:got to admit, I don't get it

the only thing I can think is that honda are appealing to the GS type men who got more money than sense
and think that high cost is super-elite
but at the same time give a lower weight
to make it seem technically sensible for trails
and in so doing have lowered the oil capacity and innards
modelled on the `R`
but taking the need for more servicing with it

(incoming gs flakkkk .. :lol:
I get there are cheaper bikes - however I have ridden Honda XR 's for 20 years and still find them appealing and interesting
I am a bit of a Honda nut - my other competition bike is a Honda
One of my cars is a Honda
All my garden tools are Honda
Honda are well designed - if not cutting edge
Therefore I do quite fancy one of these, even if they are £10k and I can get a 701 for much less

BTW - I do also have a GS Image
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I too have honda-rose coloured blinkers

yet if I think about it they have let me down the most ..

crf230f .. engine, lost oil, ffakkerd
st1100 .. engine just stopped,
fireblade 954 .. engine craked
crf250L .. clutch fakkered x2

.. to be continued when brain memo- cell re-alights
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote:I too have honda-rose coloured blinkers

yet if I think about it they have let me down the most ..

crf230f .. engine, lost oil, ffakkerd
st1100 .. engine just stopped,
fireblade 954 .. engine craked
crf250L .. clutch fakkered x2

.. to be continued when brain memo- cell re-alights
You had a bad run then
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

yep .. just a bad coincidence :? :? 8-) 8-)
over the years :lol:
(o .. I forgot the crf250x .. very sore bum)

but the mad thing is ..
I still think of Honda as the best :? :lol:

steady, reliable, quality, value,
but still think they made a mistook with the 450L
but perhaps if I actually tried one I would think differently??
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Adventure bike TV on tinternet just did a review of one which seemed very positive! I might wait for the 450 rally version before I jump in
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

it for me is not a crf L
its so far removed from the simple bullet proof 250 that it really has non of the attributes of the L at all ..and to add insult to injury it actually has zero more horspower
120w stator
600 mile oil change
1800 valve check ....theres guys reshimming on adv rider on the fist check as well
the other major crime with the 450L is the gearbox which in truth may be suited to the dumbed down 24hp version but is woefully short for
a full power one 6500 revs at 70 is unessasary for a biger engine ....even if you up one tooth at the front its still a revvy old bus but would a24hp engine like that ?

it is fine for short hops between trails which in fairness is what its billed as to do ...but for a adv bike with high service intervals its going to be very hard to walk past a pr7 or ktm 500 701 husky ... with so many flaws to correct .

Imagelarge.crf450L_gear_ratios.JPG.2c75236168774bde87e945aa503734fb by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

I'm in the 'don't get it' camp either. Maybe if we'd received the full power version and maybe if the price had began with a 7 or 8 and not a 9 then it would make good sense. I guess in a way it's a very clever pricing strategy as it's got the bike a lot of attention as well as the mystique of being unfathomably dear.

Honda PR department has done a great job though. Lots of media coverage out there, barely any of it making mention of the short service intervals or even the fact that we receive a neutered version. The digital age has heralded a new level of cover up.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

minkyhead wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:53 am it for me is not a crf L
its so far removed from the simple bullet proof 250 that it really has non of the attributes of the L at all ..and to add insult to injury it actually has zero more horspower
120w stator
600 mile oil change
1800 valve check ....theres guys reshimming on adv rider on the fist check as well
the other major crime with the 450L is the gearbox which in truth may be suited to the dumbed down 24hp version but is woefully short for
a full power one 6500 revs at 70 is unessasary for a biger engine ....even if you up one tooth at the front its still a revvy old bus but would a24hp engine like that ?

it is fine for short hops between trails which in fairness is what its billed as to do ...but for a adv bike with high service intervals its going to be very hard to walk past a pr7 or ktm 500 701 husky ... with so many flaws to correct .

Imagelarge.crf450L_gear_ratios.JPG.2c75236168774bde87e945aa503734fb by minkyhead56, on Flickr
I do like your reviews as they are always honest ,accurate and well informed. I am quite happy to buy/or not buy based on what you write. Thanks again.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

nathanm wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:57 pm I'm in the 'don't get it' camp either. Maybe if we'd received the full power version and maybe if the price had began with a 7 or 8 and not a 9 then it would make good sense. I guess in a way it's a very clever pricing strategy as it's got the bike a lot of attention as well as the mystique of being unfathomably dear.

Honda PR department has done a great job though. Lots of media coverage out there, barely any of it making mention of the short service intervals or even the fact that we receive a neutered version. The digital age has heralded a new level of cover up.
I dont think people are put off by budget bikes as the sales of the CRF250L can attest to. How easy would it have been to produce a 400/450 version of that bike. Owners could then decide if they wanted to spend money on upgrades and still be on a reasonable budget. When you spend £9500 and then have to start opening your wallet again doesn,t make any sense to me either. I understand it will make a great short distance trail bike for people who dont like bikes that ride you rather than the other way round.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Now the WR250R was classed as expensive--but nowhere near these levels--plus a 350W alternator, and 26 k valve check intervals--and could carry a pillion(not that you would want to--but it confirmed the strength of the subframe for luggage)--I don't get it either.

Return to “BIKES”