Honda 450L

The Things We Ride
nathanm

Re: Honda 450L

Post by nathanm »

frenchy3 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:25 pm
nathanm wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:57 pm I'm in the 'don't get it' camp either. Maybe if we'd received the full power version and maybe if the price had began with a 7 or 8 and not a 9 then it would make good sense. I guess in a way it's a very clever pricing strategy as it's got the bike a lot of attention as well as the mystique of being unfathomably dear.

Honda PR department has done a great job though. Lots of media coverage out there, barely any of it making mention of the short service intervals or even the fact that we receive a neutered version. The digital age has heralded a new level of cover up.
I dont think people are put off by budget bikes as the sales of the CRF250L can attest to. How easy would it have been to produce a 400/450 version of that bike. Owners could then decide if they wanted to spend money on upgrades and still be on a reasonable budget. When you spend £9500 and then have to start opening your wallet again doesn,t make any sense to me either. I understand it will make a great short distance trail bike for people who dont like bikes that ride you rather than the other way round.
I don't disagree. But I do think Honda has been very clever in realising that if you can afford to spend £6500 on a 'toy' then you can probably afford to spend £9500 as well.

If they'd tried to build an affordable 450L then how low would it have to have come in at for people to stop complaining about the price? I reckon about £6000. Maybe £5500. And then people would have complained about the compromises that were made to bring it in at that price, just like they complain about the CRF250L for not being a top notch trail bike like they would have wanted.

Look at the CCM GP 450 and all that bike offered for £8k. Aluminium frame, long range tank, quality suspension, brilliant in so many way... and everyone complained about the price.

I don't envy manufactures, especially builders of trail bikes. We want good bikes but we don't want to pay good money for them.

It looks like they've pitched this 450L at those who aren't price sensitive and are willing to pay whatever it costs for what they want. I can't say as I blame Honda. A much easier market to make happy (even though I do think they've over-cooked it)
beany

Post by beany »

zero percent finance at buxton off centre last week.
scutty

Post by scutty »

I am still of the opinion that the 450 was never built for the UK or European market at all - it was made to give Honda a 50 state plated dirt bike. From my understanding it is nearly impossible to register a 450X or 450R in most states and that is a huge gap in Honda's US range.
Is in an L? No, not by a long stretch (and it's not good at long stretches either!).
As for the CCM - I really wanted one until I spec'd it up on the order sheet! It was like buying an Audi, the price is high but tempting - until you spec all the things that you thought came as standard, then it's suddenly eye-watering!

I have yet to see or hear of a single UK owner for the 450L and I am not expecting to run into them in the volumes I meet 250L riders. The 250L my have it's detractors but there is a butt-load of them out there.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The main problem I have with the Honda is the seat height--and its the same for KTMs---these seat heights are fine for enduros etc where you just prod --but out on a nadgery trail they make life much more difficult--we are not all 6ft plus!. They are NOT trail bikes in my opinion--just go back a few years and look at the trail bike seat heights then--they were practical , did the job, but were not in any way capable enduro bikes--horses for courses! I agree on the US market--we are small fry here and most US "trails" are far more open and fast-and plating is important for getting to the parks etc---and the Honda is just one more toy to add to the garage fleet--remember that they earn at least twice as much as us so the Honda is equivalent of about 5k there. I worked in the States for 3 years, toured, belonged to a bike club etc--and all my mates out there had at least 4 or 5 bikes stored in big garages--I was running around on a matt green KLR 650 !(great bike!)
johnnyboxer

Honda 450L

Post by johnnyboxer »

Saw one in the flesh and it's bloody gorgeous

So very Honda - with brilliant attention to detail and finishing touches

My KTM in comparison is not the same build quality and it shows

We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
herman

Post by herman »

I bumped into Mossy on his recently and he made the point that you are going to get to know your Honda dealer very well if you want to keep the warrantee valid. I still think for the UK market it is absolutely pointless.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
johnnyboxer

Honda 450L

Post by johnnyboxer »

herman wrote:I bumped into Mossy on his recently and he made the point that you are going to get to know your Honda dealer very well if you want to keep the warrantee valid. I still think for the UK market it is absolutely pointless.
Honda dealer said as long as you bought genuine Honda filters and recommended grade oil from them, then owner could service it and keep a record then 2year warranty would be valid

I think I would get them to do the valve check though

Does 'Mossy' like the bike ?

Why pointless for uk, Herman ?

It's a trail bike in a top notch chassis - nobody has faulted it in the tests I have read in U.K. Or USA except price and you can get one for a similar price to a 450/500 exc 6 days

With money we don't have

ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

I really fancied one of these when they were announced, hoping it would replace my TTR600, CRF250X and possibly Tracer too - bit of a make life simpler/more room in the garage job.

Having now sat on the rock hard perch miles from the floor in Fowlers last weekend am now glad the price put me right off, as the only bike it would have replaced is the CRF250X!
richeyroo

Post by richeyroo »

I just don't get it. Take 2 ordinary blokes out on the trails enjoying their day, bimbling along, occasionally rip snorting along the fast straight bits, chugging through the muddy bits, stopping for a pasty and a brew half way through the day snd enjoying the views.

One a new £10,000 CRF450L and the other on a decent 10 year old £2500 quid DRZ400.

Will CRF man really have had an appreciably better day ?

By far and away the biggest factor in the day will be which tyres are on the bikes and if it was me i could afford new tyres every month if i bought the DRZ.

Thank heavens for the dudes who want the latest and greatest and are happy to blow 10 grand on a not terribly interesting or exciting bike. Always good news for the likes of me.

My 07 XR650L, 03 954 Fireblade and soon to arrive CRF450XRL keep me happy. I'm not sure combining the net worth of those 3 into one CRF450L would be a net gain
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

richeyroo wrote:I just don't get it. Take 2 ordinary blokes out on the trails enjoying their day, bimbling along, occasionally rip snorting along the fast straight bits, chugging through the muddy bits, stopping for a pasty and a brew half way through the day snd enjoying the views.

One a new £10,000 CRF450L and the other on a decent 10 year old £2500 quid DRZ400.

Will CRF man really have had an appreciably better day ?

By far and away the biggest factor in the day will be which tyres are on the bikes and if it was me i could afford new tyres every month if i bought the DRZ.

Thank heavens for the dudes who want the latest and greatest and are happy to blow 10 grand on a not terribly interesting or exciting bike. Always good news for the likes of me.

My 07 XR650L, 03 954 Fireblade and soon to arrive CRF450XRL keep me happy. I'm not sure combining the net worth of those 3 into one CRF450L would be a net gain
Plenty buying KTM exc at £8-9k all day long (the 450L can comfortably be bought in the £8k mark) - so somebody must think the exc is worth at £8k+++

Do the new KTM riders have a better day than a chap on a £2500, who knows but they do seem to have an easier day
Modern bikes are easier to ride, no question

With money we don't have

Return to “BIKES”