Honda 450L

The Things We Ride
cowling

Re: Honda 450L

Post by cowling »

minkyhead wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:52 pm
SteveW wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:37 am
johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:14 am Might get a KLX250s as well - always liked them
Good Grief!
Have you ever riden one?
Dangerously underpowered.

and heres steve w and alister showing why orange coolaide is the only way to keep safe ..50 horses recluse clutches class leading suspension and ground clearance ...made for the job ? what could possibly go wrong :mrgreen: ....followed by the dangerously undrpowered crf250l ..

case in point ......sorry couldnt help it ill get me coat now :mrgreen:

Just catching up on abr, that video is class minky😂😂😂👍. I remember us getting a bit lost heading to that isolated bunk house at the end of the strata .
I took over the navigation and set the little 250l away as it was past beer o clock. On arrival I remember Stevew commenting on how well the little Honda pushed on. So easy to ride .
We've all seen the carnage that is caused by having a hand full of horses on a trail bike.
Leave your coat Steve and carry on posting vids. 👍
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Just read the latest updates on the real power output of the Honda CRF450L. I should think the U.S.A will get a slightly detuned fully legal bike but the Euro 4 will be strangled and we will have to pay more money to get it uncorked.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

bowber wrote:Yes we'll get the EU version but it'll not have 25hp, to make a CRF450 motor do that would take some serious restrictions so I suspect it's an emissions kidology figure, I'd expect something in line with an RFS engined 450 EXC which usually got mid 30's at the back wheel, all these mentions of 50hp are pie in the sky figures, a good racing supermoto tuned 660 used to get mid 60's at the back wheel and you'd not want to trail ride them. Mid 30's is more than enough for trail riding and A roads.

Steve
Indeed
30 bhp will be fine for me with a wide ratio 6 speed and plenty of torque from some flywheel weight and a softer cam

Having ridden a CRF 250 x with a heavy flywheel it was loads better

Excited about the 450 L
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
johnnyboxer

Honda 450L

Post by johnnyboxer »

frenchy3 wrote:Just read the latest updates on the real power output of the Honda CRF450L. I should think the U.S.A will get a slightly detuned fully legal bike but the Euro 4 will be strangled and we will have to pay more money to get it uncorked.
Honda via HRC will offer a 'hop up' kit for their enduro and this 450 L bikes (for closed course use, naturally Image)

They always have

The biggest bike manufacturer in the world will see this bike works out fine (albeit with a few initial niggles perhaps)

On the MX circuit Honda and Yamaha prevail - the CRF has been around since 2004 with steady updates over time

The efi on my Honda 4rt Trials bike has been perfect in all conditions and has been around since 2004 too and doesn't even need a regular battery to make it work - how trick is that ?.... so Honda

With money we don't have

Chris S

Post by Chris S »

There's been a very similar CRF450XRL here (officially) for a couple of years and since 2013 elsewhere.
https://www.rustsports.com/metal/dual-s ... _3657.html

minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

Where does this fits in johnny. You algready have a525 a xr400 and a dr 350 a dtz too. Ive lost. Track are you going to run it long distance as you seen to have the tracks. Covered pretty well
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Toe

Post by Toe »

frenchy3 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:21 am Just read the latest updates on the real power output of the Honda CRF450L. I should think the U.S.A will get a slightly detuned fully legal bike but the Euro 4 will be strangled and we will have to pay more money to get it uncorked.
I'm no expert but would think the Euro 4 stuff would be some sort of emissions/secondary air system, exhaust, and mapping. Block off the emissions stuff, change the exhaust, remap and away you go.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Toe wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:40 pm
frenchy3 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:21 am Just read the latest updates on the real power output of the Honda CRF450L. I should think the U.S.A will get a slightly detuned fully legal bike but the Euro 4 will be strangled and we will have to pay more money to get it uncorked.
I'm no expert but would think the Euro 4 stuff would be some sort of emissions/secondary air system, exhaust, and mapping. Block off the emissions stuff, change the exhaust, remap and away you go.
Or alternatively Honda should have built an engine that is Euro-emissions regs compliant (i.e. a good thing), but that still manages to produce about 40bhp & good strong torque and which still needs the minimum of servicing. It is certainly not beyond Honda to do this. But instead they have scrimped by using an existing engine which is compromised as soon as it is asked to perform in a different way than originally intended (i.e. MX). Looks like the engine then requires an additional €500+ spending on it straight away to make it work properly (at a cost to the environment and our lungs and probably an invalidated warranty). Honda then has the front to ask KTM enduro money for a castrated dual sports bike!
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

minkyhead wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:24 am Where does this fits in johnny. You algready have a525 a xr400 and a dr 350 a dtz too. Ive lost. Track are you going to run it long distance as you seen to have the tracks. Covered pretty well
DRZ went long ago
DR350 went last year
Still got XR400 and love it..................but if the new CRF450L is a good bike, then it will go to buy one - prices are high and won't be indefinitely, as soon there will no bugger fit enough to kickstart one :D :mrgreen:

I have just got a KTM 530 EXC-R (not a 525) and that will be for some trails and maybe a mini Adv bike for the TET sections (they seem popular in US for TAT and other longish trailrides/DS use).

I was looking at a newer 690 or a RR 690 but they still seem too finicky or problematical and Steve W don't rate them, so that's out

Deep down i'm a Honda man, so looking forward to a detuned, yet torquey CRF450L

With money we don't have

Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

SmartSelect_20180606-141951_YouTube.jpg
SmartSelect_20180606-141951_YouTube.jpg (71.95 KiB) Viewed 2987 times
This was Published by honda stating over mid 40 bhp so a 2018 crf450r is at 59.9 bhp.... and if the engines are basically the same and they detune it say 45/46 bhp will that really make that much of a diiferences . I couldnt see a crf450r doing 30,000 without major work so will 15 bhp less on the same engine really take the same engine that far without any major work except oil and filters
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .

Return to “BIKES”