KTM EXC Nomad

The Things We Ride
RichP

Re: KTM EXC Nomad

Post by RichP »

Cone wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:52 pm If your interested Rade Garag do something similar, im probaly going to get it for my husky.

http://www.radegarage.com/parts/ktm-690-fairing-kit/
That looks a nice set up. The one thing I like about the Nomad set up is that it uses the KTM Rally screen so if you do manage to damage it you can get a replacement from any KTM dealer rather than just the supplier plus I think they are "only" about £45. However the Rade product will be quite a bit cheaper than the Nomad (500/600 Euros) but hasn't got road legal lighting. Having said that I put a Rade screen and lighting kit onto my 690 with a Rally Raid fairing and the quality was really good. I don't think you'd go far wrong with either.
Cone

Post by Cone »

No the rade is 989 Euros they do say their lights are e marked
RichP

Post by RichP »

Cone wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:28 pm No the rade is 989 Euros they do say their lights are e marked
You're right. I forgot that we have ordered a few extras (rally bracket, roadbook, & transfer kit). Not a lot of difference between the two kits really, just hope that everything turns out OK :shock: We saw a 701 with the kit fitted when we dropped the bikes off and it looked good but it is a bit of a leap of faith!
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

RichP wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:52 am Depends what sort of travel I suppose. I did nearly 2000 miles on mine last October, mainly on the TET, through Bulgaria, Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Germany, Holland, France and then home. The bike was perfect (unlike the two CCMs I went with that had to be recovered back to the factory) but then most of what I did was either on tracks or smaller roads - I had a 690 before the 500 and the 500 is so much easier off the tarmac. I did change the oil in Montenegro but I really don't think there was any need as it was still a nice golden colour but I wouldn't want to go over 2000 miles on the same oil. I did have a couple of 300 mile days crunching some miles on A roads and motorways and the bike was fine. It sits at 75 mph quite happily and will hit 90 mph quite easily although it does start to feel a bit skittish at higher speeds.
I wouldn't want to have the 500 as an only bike as a lot of main road travel would become tiresome but as an lightweight travel bike for tracks and B roads it's fantastic. I did have a Highways Dirt Bike screen on it but the wind / rain protection was a bit limited that's why I've gone for the Nomad option. We are going back to the Balkans this September so will be able to see if I've done the right thing!KTM Croatia.JPG
I like the sound of your trip Rich , how long did it take you , Bob
RichP

Post by RichP »

Hi Bob We had about 15 days. The bikes were shipped to Sofia and we flew out to them. We used a mixture of roads and tracks over to Albania and joined the TET. Unfortunately the CCMs started to play up in Montenegro so we had to be a bit selective as to what tracks we used - we didn't want to be too far from civilisation!! To be honest the TET we did go on in Bosnia and Croatia were mainly gravel tracks that weren't that difficult, a GS or KTM Adventure would be perfectly OK. The best tracks we did were in Bulgaria, Albania and Montenegro. We had to ride on main roads from Rijeka in Croatia (where the first CCM chucked in the towel) to Vienna where we caught the Motorail to Frankfurt. From there we just headed home on normal roads. Unfortunately the second CCM packed up in Holland so the last stretch was on my own :roll: :roll:
We're going back this September but this time we are heading north out of Sofia to Serbia, across Serbia to Montenegro. After Montenegro we will ride mainly roads upto Slovenia and ride the TET through there. The two CCMs have since been sold and replaced by a 450 KTM and a CRF250 Rally so fingers crossed for some reliability :D
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Thanks Rich , it's a trip in the planning at the moment so that's very useful info , :D
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

I've got an older RFS 525mxc and exc ( one bike 2 engines ) just back from a trip down to Jax Shack 1300 miles round trip, the others in the group were all on 690r's.
Shod with Maxxis IT's, we did some big miles on the D roads and trails ( 300 + ) not many mods to the bike, just the MXC tank, small screen, power to the Garmin and Phone, stronger sub frame bolts, Kriega 5 on the tail, and sheep skin made for a comfy ride, don't think the 690's were as lucky... ;)
Swapped the oil half way, as Rich mentioned the oil was nice n clean, and so much fun on the trails 8-)
felco

Post by felco »

Stewie wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:20 pm I've got an older RFS 525mxc and exc ( one bike 2 engines ) just back from a trip down to Jax Shack 1300 miles round trip, the others in the group were all on 690r's.
Shod with Maxxis IT's, we did some big miles on the D roads and trails ( 300 + ) not many mods to the bike, just the MXC tank, small screen, power to the Garmin and Phone, stronger sub frame bolts, Kriega 5 on the tail, and sheep skin made for a comfy ride, don't think the 690's were as lucky... ;)
Swapped the oil half way, as Rich mentioned the oil was nice n clean, and so much fun on the trails 8-)
All wrong mate, you have to spend at least 4 grand to make an enduro bike suitable for more than a 100 mile trip!
Don't come on here with your fairy tales, bloody amateurs!
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

no you dont , just buy petrol and go ,just dont run it flat out
felco

Post by felco »

No! You have to the best lights, even though you don't ride in the dark, a full navigation system even though your just using Google maps,
You definitely need the tool box under the sump to collect all the shit and destroy all your tools, and definitely the fairing! to take all the wind away from your shoulders and point it directly at your head, and definitely purchase the 50 litre fuel tank, you may end up in bartertown :D

Return to “BIKES”