BMW G310GS in Morocco

The Things We Ride
Chris S

BMW G310GS in Morocco

Post by Chris S »

Just back from the Atlas on brand new G310GSs from the rental company I use for my tours.
Bought to replace their brilliant but ageing 2011 XR250 Tornados which they can't get new any more.
We took one with: 2km on my GS vs 88,888kms on the XR with nothing left to break or scratch.

Long version here; summary below

The agency have done the usual all-road mods, much like the Rally Raid bike but using local metal bashers: quality handguards, DIY engine bar and ally bashplate, OEM tail rack and a (imo redundant) spoke wheel conversion which annoyingly runs tubes. Metz Karoo 3 on the front; Mitas E-07 on the back - better than what comes out of the crate I'm sure.

We tried a (new to me) High Atlas off-road crossing just east of the Tizi n Test and only 100m higher. Great route, do-able on anything with care, especially northbound.
And then an even better transit along the remote Ouaougdimt valley above Aoulouz. Will add a route description to my Morocco Overland page soon, but it's dead easy once you work out the junctions on Google Earth.
After that we went down through the Anti Atlas for a quick run through the desert and belted back to Marrakech.

XR is a 1980s-era trail bike that's taller and 35-kg lighter so obviously easier and faster the rougher it gets, but if you pace yourself the GS rolls along fine on the dirt. On the road not that much in it, but we didn't take the new bikes over 5-6000rpm (at which point GS makes the same hp as a flat-out XR). Proper 21-st century brakes and the 19-inch front must give the GS the edge. As usual the 250 stutters from jet to jet over 2000m (6560'); the 310 fuelled smoothly but sometimes stalled off tickover in 1st - annoying on a hairpin but low enough to save. Which reminds me: the seat is too thin and so are the pegs.

A few more photos on my AM website soon, a short video below.

Last edited by Chris S on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jak*

Re: BMW G310GS in Morocco

Post by Jak* »

Thanks for the report. An interesting comparison with the XRs. Why am I not surprised to learn that the BM seat is shit, I can confidently predict that they will list an extortionately priced 'comfort seat' in their options catalogue.
Cheers Jak
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

interesting bike ...i really like the smaller bikes .. currently running crfs with 300r engines in them and suspension upgrades .,...i was wondering what the reality of a rally raid g310 would be ..they really appeal in alot of ways but look very roady as standard ? but with the full conversion cost it would be difficult to walk past a 701 husky ..cant help but think how good it would be if they had done somthing like a mini x challenge instead of a mini gs as standard

ive read a lot of your stuff chris al very interesting and real world down to earth much better than any magazine stuff which tend to be pretty usless

as a aside i also read you tubless conversion and have done similar except using 3m extream tape and stans sealants ..with good 100 percent results ..ive since converted all my wheels to this set up ..the stans liquid seals the beads if you have any seep and seals puntures instantly its quite impressive ....the liquid is thin like coconut milk and it gets where thicker sea;lents like slime cant get ..it cures the tendancy for front tyres to seep on the bead .. in context of the comment of the tubed tyreon the gs i thought id pass that on as it seems to eliminate any bead problems
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Jak - I thought seat was the lowered option but it's not. That will just be a sheet of tin foil.
Comparison with XR is a bit chalk and cheesy, but that will be the small-bike rental choice for my Mk tours.

Mink - thanks.
Re: CRFs vs 310 - stick with what you got. Thought of that conversion myself but hanging on for a factory 450. Got a thread?
310 is way too roady + weight far back = hard to turn elegantly on loose hairpins, like my XSR.
Mini XCh or even a half-litre P-twin would be much more my cup of tea.

Re your TL conversion, sounds interesting. Got a thread for that too? Will add it to my TL page.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Here's a quick vid:

And here's a suggestion... ;-)

Last edited by Chris S on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Lovely vid thanks for sharing, bike looks good but the standing position looks a bit low and forward, how did it feel?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Well it's not an agile trail bike but at 6 1, I actually found standing only a slight stoop.
Whatever I ride I need risers, but it was the 310's narrow pegs which forced me to sit down after a while.
If anything, the bulky tank covers put your weight further back which slows down cornering off road.
Here's my 600-km review
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Very interesting, thank you. :)

I've been spending time (again) looking for a replacement for my much tweaked Honda Falcon. About as close as you can get to the Tornado but that little bit more power for the road runs.

The Beemer was going to be next, but I think I'll take a rain check. That bulky tank looks a pain as does the hump seat, but I am sure TT will have some proper footrests soon!

Got to say, that vid make Morocco look VERY tempting :-)
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Great snaps as usual. Thanks :D

:D
Will It Buff Out?

Return to “BIKES”