BMW G310GS in Morocco

The Things We Ride
halfpint

Re: BMW G310GS in Morocco

Post by halfpint »

so would you go for a bmw 310 or crf rally with out spending a large amount after the purchase ? as a travel bike.
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

I'd sooner go for a Rally as I enjoy easy off-roading.
I did a great SW USA dirt tour on the original 250L a few years back but I'd not spend all that money on a new small bike.
Consider a used KLX250S for £2-3k. Well under 140kg afaik and proper stock suspension. Had a carb one in the US for a bit.
But - I've had a lot of 250s lately and tbh I've got them out of my system. Love the light weight but not flat out at 60mph at times.

A CRF450L is what is needed here. Rally or schmally - not bothered.
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

A CRF450L is what is needed here.
Oh dear - well we all know how that turned out... What a wasted opportunity.
Still, 2019 CB500X looks like a step in the right direction and plenty of other juicy twins in the pipeline.

Back to the 310s: ran with them for a month in November. Collectively we covered some 11,000kms.
By now they had loosened up noticeably (average odo: 8-9k) and actually made pretty fun canyon carvers when road surfaces allowed: good brakes and not fast enough to get you into trouble while making you feel e p i c.
On the dirt, well it's a heavy-for-its-cc road bike which doesn't take too well to standing or prolonged gnarliness, but for what we do they're easy enough providing it stays dry.
As expected, no one gelled with them like many have done over the years with the shagged but unkillable XR Tornados which they were replacing. The 310s have watered down the GS brand somewhat, but I suppose there's enough of that to spare.
Some bikes struggled with starting on cold-but-not-freezing mornings – apparently a known issue.
But no side stand failures reported and can't say anyone noticed worn cush drives either.
ABS (which matches the bike's potential well on the dirt) didn't work on the spoked conversions - probably just a sensor issue.
Where possible I'd always specify 310s with the stock tubeless wheels.

I averaged 90mpg which is an easy 300km range and opens up route possibilities.
And they seem to be standing up well to rental treatment. [fyi: 140kph with a bit more left ;-]
I (93kg) jacked the shock up to the max or one less (easy with toolkit; behind LHS panel) and it felt much more secure on the usual lumpy backroads.
Unadjustable fork felt pretty good too; both ends only bottomed out when you'd expect them to.
They still tend to stall when cold or not revved enough.
Comfort: well there's no screen to speak of and for me the saddle has < 2 hours in it. Far from unique to the 310.
And like most bikes, the gearing's too tall for slow dirt; I'd drop a tooth off the front. They don't rev out in top anyway so nothing much to lose.

Long version on my AM Website (sig)

qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Great reviews and lovely pictures. Thankyou for posting.
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

A very interesting report. How would you rate them as a 99% on-roader, with only the (very) occasional cart track thrown in? Would you rate it over the CRF250 for that?
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Yes for that use I think I probably would over any trail bike of similar size.
More comfy, 19er front steers better, less suspension dip and bigger (if you are a tall person).
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

after riding the riding my 310 down spain with 2 crf's I would say they struggle to sit at 65 on main roads the bm has the pace to sit all day at 70 with a bit of speed left to over take , as for off road the lighter the better , bm is ok off road but not an enduro bike .rough tracks and whoops are best avoided trail use on gravel is ok .
JMoandpiglet

Post by JMoandpiglet »

If anyone is considering the G310GS, I too have spent a lot of time and miles on one this year (you may have already seen my ride report here: https://www.adventurebikerider.com/foru ... 21&t=47461) and generally the 'issues' I've noticed are much the same as Chris did - narrow stock foot-pegs, the tank cover that splays your knees when standing... mine has not suffered the cold-start issue (although the vast majority of my riding has been during the warm weather during the summer), nor has my example suffered from any side-stand issues, but mine has suffered prematurely worn cush-drive rubbers, three times now (over 17,500 miles).

As I considered in my summary at the end of the ride-report in the link above - the stock bike can/does appear to not have a lot of focus (not being particularly good at one thing or another as standard), although it's a very comfortable and pretty competent 'all-rounder' if you're not pushing any sort of envelope.

I fitted the upgraded Rally-Raid suspension and spoked wheels* to my bike (plus an engine guard and a few other bits and bobs) - and in my opinion, it's those upgrades that give it the 'focus' I think the bike required - it really is a pretty capable trail bike, coupled with more refined road-manners and performance than a typical dedicated 250cc class trailie would have.

*note. unlike the 650? wheels that were fitted to the bike/s Chris rode, the Rally-Raid spoked wheels are designed specifically to accept all the OEM brake, and cush-drive components from the G310GS, and the ABS function is retained - plus you have a tubed or tubeless rim options too.

I wouldn't say the spoked wheels are essential for this bike, or the use most people are likely to put it to - however, it does round-off the package very nicely both visually and from an overall robustness/repairability point of view. The upgraded suspension however really does make this bike ride very well indeed on and off-road, and is where the stock bike really is a let down for heavier and/or more aggressive riders/riding.

Hope that gives you all a little more to consider?

Jenny x
Last edited by JMoandpiglet on Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

It seem the 310 gs will do most things as an all rounder but master of none . for the price its good a few things changed, bars and pegs and it improves . buyers spend on their bikes its what we do . they compare bikes spec and then read the reports , you tube review and seem to say its not what they want. I paid 4,200 for mine at 3 months old from a bmw dealer 2 year bmw warranty with 900 miles on the clock . so its been used for a
trip to morocco rode home up spain and france , green laned and ridden the lanes of suffolk with no problems sat at 70 mph and 70 mpg what more do you want from a cheap bike ! would I buy another yes if its a mix of trails and road havent found anything thing better at the price ..... start upping the budget and a husky 701 might be in the frame but will need more money spent just to do the same job faster .speed and cost are still a big factor in biking so is riding talent .
Griff097

Post by Griff097 »

halfpint wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:02 pm It seem the 310 gs will do most things as an all rounder but master of none . for the price its good a few things changed, bars and pegs and it improves . buyers spend on their bikes its what we do . they compare bikes spec and then read the reports , you tube review and seem to say its not what they want. I paid 4,200 for mine at 3 months old from a bmw dealer 2 year bmw warranty with 900 miles on the clock . so its been used for a
trip to morocco rode home up spain and france , green laned and ridden the lanes of suffolk with no problems sat at 70 mph and 70 mpg what more do you want from a cheap bike ! would I buy another yes if its a mix of trails and road havent found anything thing better at the price ..... start upping the budget and a husky 701 might be in the frame but will need more money spent just to do the same job faster .speed and cost are still a big factor in biking so is riding talent .
This talent you speak of, who has some, where can I get some and how much does it cost?

Avois Marocco if you don't want the shits too!

Return to “BIKES”