Dirt cheap dirt bike wanted. Peaks area

The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Dirt cheap dirt bike wanted. Peaks area

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Well, if he's using Land Rover as a role model, then you are truly shafted.

My mate's experience of Land Rover is here:

http://disco4.com/forum/is-problem-with ... 55820.html

Best read when you've got a whole evening to put aside.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Interesting reading about your mates disco Richard. A work colleague had similar issues with her earlier one many years ago, eventually she gave up and bought a Fourtrak which proved completely reliable. Similarly a friend of mine test rode a GP450 but decided against it. His CRF 250 has done about three times the mileage that my bike has with no issues at all.
Cheers Jak
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Paul_C wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:16 am Interesting. Mine doesn't have a rear brake sensor?
Whatever the thing that tells the rear light you've slammed your size 11 on the brake lever. I can't find anything obvious either.

I really feel your frustration Jak, nothing worse than a bike you're constantly expecting to break down. I commute through London so the CCM is overkill but even if it was empty scenic roads all the way I'd likely leave it at home.

It's an excellent bike but it does need a hell of a lot of maintenance keeping it that way. My CRF chugs all day long, only needing me to chuck oil / filters at it with the occasional chain / sprocket / tyres. That's the one I wheel out the garage day after day.

Best of luck at the Taffy
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

P4ulie wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:17 pm
Paul_C wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:16 am Interesting. Mine doesn't have a rear brake sensor?
Whatever the thing that tells the rear light you've slammed your size 11 on the brake lever. I can't find anything obvious either.

I really feel your frustration Jak, nothing worse than a bike you're constantly expecting to break down. I commute through London so the CCM is overkill but even if it was empty scenic roads all the way I'd likely leave it at home.

It's an excellent bike but it does need a hell of a lot of maintenance keeping it that way. My CRF chugs all day long, only needing me to chuck oil / filters at it with the occasional chain / sprocket / tyres. That's the one I wheel out the garage day after day.

Best of luck at the Taffy

I cannot agree here, its a bike that requires far more tlc/maintenance than is required by its rivals, and costs a lot more initially. CCM have serious continuity problems, I know of as many happy GP450 riders as unhappy, but have first-hand experience of the reticense CCM will show you when things are not how they want the biking public to hear about their issues. It will always be your fault not theirs, you wont have ridden it properly, maintained it properly, used it off-road for heaven sake !!!!
Jak, you have persevered beyond reason and I salute you for that, I luckily escaped and sold mine in December for a small loss. I now have a KTM690 and it awesome in comparison. Maybe its time to bite the bullet and ditch the bloddy thing for a bike that will do what you expect from it ?? just sayin 👍 Good luck
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I think you may well be right Sarge. It is hard to express my utter disappointment with the bike. The factory's current attitude sucks. To be honest they seem incapable of understanding why I have no faith in them anymore and you are right their excuses for the fragility of their product are almost laughable. Particularly over the finish. The powder coating on my outfit which I had done over ten years ago and has done at least 40,000 miles in that time has lasted better than that on the CCM. I expect I will end up losing a considerable amount of money on the bike and it will probably be the last new bike I own, until we all have to go electric.
Lots of my mates have laughed at me and questioned why I have run old bikes over the years but ultimately they have all been more reliable than the CCM and stood up,to green laning and commuting without needing the constant cleaning that CCM tell me their bike requires. The Serow and TTR250 I had coped with being cleaned once a week when commuting them in the winter. Unless they were absolutely caked in mud I never cleaned either of them after going green landing. Just a quick check of the oil, chain, tyres and bearings and put the away till next time. The CCM I clean and do a thorough check every time I get back.
The timing for me is now a right pain as I do not think I am in a position to buy another bike until I get rid of the CCM and I still do not know when it will be back.
Cheers Jak
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Jak* wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:47 pm I think you may well be right Sarge. It is hard to express my utter disappointment with the bike. The factory's current attitude sucks. To be honest they seem incapable of understanding why I have no faith in them anymore and you are right their excuses for the fragility of their product are almost laughable. Particularly over the finish. The powder coating on my outfit which I had done over ten years ago and has done at least 40,000 miles in that time has lasted better than that on the CCM. I expect I will end up losing a considerable amount of money on the bike and it will probably be the last new bike I own, until we all have to go electric.
Lots of my mates have laughed at me and questioned why I have run old bikes over the years but ultimately they have all been more reliable than the CCM and stood up,to green laning and commuting without needing the constant cleaning that CCM tell me their bike requires. The Serow and TTR250 I had coped with being cleaned once a week when commuting them in the winter. Unless they were absolutely caked in mud I never cleaned either of them after going green landing. Just a quick check of the oil, chain, tyres and bearings and put the away till next time. The CCM I clean and do a thorough check every time I get back.
The timing for me is now a right pain as I do not think I am in a position to buy another bike until I get rid of the CCM and I still do not know when it will be back.
Cheers Jak
The legal route may well be your best option Jak, you have a detailed account of all the problems, days off the road , bike back at the facory etc, so CCM have half accoeted that there is a problem. There are law firms about that work on a no win no fee basis and your approach should be that your bike is not fit for purpose, an unacceptable degree of failure would be hard to defend in your case, I know of another similar case too, but for now following a complete engine rebuild x2 on a brand new bike , (his second 450) he seems to be happy. Personally, I would have gone straight to my Solicitor but hey ho !

Good luck either way 👍
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Return to “BIKES”