2010 KTM 530 EXC

The Things We Ride
bowber

Re: 2010 KTM 530 EXC

Post by bowber »

As above, they don't need the oil changing as often trail riding.
My old 400 has done nearly 1000 miles of trail riding on it's current oil, hasn't needed topping up and the oil is still oil coloured in the sight glass.

Steve
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

It's gone

9 months of ownership and gone to a new owner this morning

KTM isn't for me
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:34 pm It's gone

9 months of ownership and gone to a new owner this morning

KTM isn't for me
I thought you were well into it Johnny !!
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

I was - but someone made me a 'too good' offer and I fancy a new Honda CRF 450 L

With money we don't have

dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Blimey!!!!!! That was quick. That looked a stonking bike and i would have kept it over the new crf450! But having said that the honda will be more sedate if thats what you are looking for. And i will be following your next post letting us all have your thoughts on it....
johnnyboxer

2010 KTM 530 EXC

Post by johnnyboxer »

Will do
It was a stonking bike and mint (530)
However I have always been a Jap bike rider from an early age and whilst not 'ready to race', they are just easy to live with and are less fuss

I just don't gel with euro dirt bikes, too finicky and needy - always needing fettling - I couldn't be doing with all the potential engine rebuilds either..... down the line

Once the 530 had left the building - I took the sheet off the XR 400 (not touched since early December) and turned the fuel on and she fired up 3rd kick, purring away

So she's going get a makeover and I am going to fit a new rear Ohlins shock and get the forks done with Racetech Gold valves - so she handles better
Last edited by johnnyboxer on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

With money we don't have

Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I must say I was surprised when you bought it JB because I never had you down as a race bike rider but given the condition of the bike and the lazy torque of the 530 it was a good choice in helping to 'scratch the itch'.
I used to worry about the KTM reliability rumours but during the 10/15 years of enduro bikes I didn't find them any better or worse than Jap stuff but in terms of price and availability of consumables the Ktm won. Go to a 2 day rally and somebody in the paddock will have a wheel bearing or brake pads to allow you to get out for the second day just by the fact there are so many of them about.
For me .......... I can't be doing with ornaments under dust sheets so the key is having something I want to use. Regrets, I've had a few but then again too few to mention ........
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
johnnyboxer

2010 KTM 530 EXC

Post by johnnyboxer »

Tonibe63 wrote: For me .......... I can't be doing with ornaments under dust sheets so the key is having something I want to use. ........
It was only under a sheet as I was using the 530 to finally make my mind up

If truth be known, I have generally taken the XR 400 (when I could have taken the 530) out on the trails this last year especially on our 2 day TRF event weekends, plus week's trailriding in Devon and the annual TRF Coast to Coast that I led

Main reason is that it's such a good bike on the road (and trail), proper dual sport

The XR is comfy and has plenty of torque, will cruise at 65 with enough to overtake in reserve and feels more planted - the 530 was like riding a scalpel last Sunday even on dry roads, really twitchy meaning you can't ride it as fast from A to B

For me the simpler XR is a better bike as an all rounder - no battery (just kick & go), proper sturdy lights, no rads, no potential to boiling over, an airbox that actually seals and doesn't fill with mud after every ride, it's slimmer and more trail friendly - plus it looks less aggressive to ramblers than an orange race bike

The XR 400 below has a classic simple charm in my eyes

With money we don't have

Return to “BIKES”