Electric Bikes... the Future?

The Things We Ride
Craig-SM

Re: Electric Bikes... the Future?

Post by Craig-SM »

I imagine it was fun and I’m going to have to get a test of one. To me power deliver is important though. I’ve never owned an in-line 4 due as I did not like the buzzy, high rev delivery. It’s that kind of character that makes you love a particular engine configuration and the company that makes it.
As you say this is early days for electric bikes. They are going through most power, then battery range to make them practically appealing. Now doubt they will be able to program power delivery characteristics into them at some point in the future.
I’m assuming there is no gear changes? Also where there any mentions of grants?
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Craig-SM wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:39 pm I imagine it was fun and I’m going to have to get a test of one. To me power deliver is important though. I’ve never owned an in-line 4 due as I did not like the buzzy, high rev delivery. It’s that kind of character that makes you love a particular engine configuration and the company that makes it.
As you say this is early days for electric bikes. They are going through most power, then battery range to make them practically appealing. Now doubt they will be able to program power delivery characteristics into them at some point in the future.
I’m assuming there is no gear changes? Also where there any mentions of grants?

They can already programme power delivery characteristics, just not quite the same as an ICE bike.

On the leaflet I got, there's a note about a £1,500 Government subsidy built into the price.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Cone wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:27 pm I looked into this ultimately way to expensive

To get the longest range one you need the top spec, then the fast charger accessory then the additional battery pack.

You are nearly into 20k for that, now that is a lot of fuel to save..

More like a luxury product for the wealthy this, hopefully soon a resonantly priced one will come on to the market, such as the Indian one I linked a few months ago.

We’ll see a no go for another 10 years I think

Actually, the range is opposite to what you would expect from a petrol powered motorcycle: round town riding will give you a better range than cruising for hours at 60 mph due to the fact that braking and decelerating puts power back into the battery.

Have you worked out the TCO of a 'normal' bike over 5 years? I did a rough calculation for a Tiger 800 XCx (as that's what I own and have experience with) covering 8,000 miles a year. The price of the bike + servicing + tyres + chains and sprockets + fuel comes to around £20,000. For and electric bike, there is no servicing and 'fuel' costs 1/10 of the price of petrol. So, really, you're looking at the price of the bike, tyres and brake pads... that's it! Going by my rough, back of fag packet calculations, the cost over 5 years is about the same.

Look, I'm not trying to convince you to buy one, I'm just passing on my experience and trying to allay any fears and dispel any myths. My first experience of these bikes was today and I had no preconceptions, I just like riding bikes in whatever shape or form they come in... I have a 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx, a 1988 Honda CB400 Hondamatic and a 1956 BSA B31. Electric bikes are the next chapter and will improve in range quicker than you think.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Fishandchips

Post by Fishandchips »

Do they have traction control?

With so much instant torque available I would think it would have to be in a controlled manner.

I really like the idea of these bikes for local commuting.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

OB1 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:03 pm The belt lasts for 25,000 miles and the battery is guaranteed for 250,000 miles!

Just a correction... I'm not sure where I heard the 250,000 mile guarantee, maybe it's my hearing going with old age, but the battery is guaranteed for 5 years with unlimited milage. Sorry for the wrong info earlier.
justrtw.com
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Fishandchips wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:52 am Do they have traction control?

With so much instant torque available I would think it would have to be in a controlled manner.

I really like the idea of these bikes for local commuting.

No, they don't have traction control. I'm not sure why but I did hear one of the chaps talking to another guy and he said there is no TC.
justrtw.com
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

OB1 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:39 pm
Cone wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:27 pm I looked into this ultimately way to expensive

To get the longest range one you need the top spec, then the fast charger accessory then the additional battery pack.

You are nearly into 20k for that, now that is a lot of fuel to save..

More like a luxury product for the wealthy this, hopefully soon a resonantly priced one will come on to the market, such as the Indian one I linked a few months ago.

We’ll see a no go for another 10 years I think

Actually, the range is opposite to what you would expect from a petrol powered motorcycle: round town riding will give you a better range than cruising for hours at 60 mph due to the fact that braking and decelerating puts power back into the battery.

Have you worked out the TCO of a 'normal' bike over 5 years? I did a rough calculation for a Tiger 800 XCx (as that's what I own and have experience with) covering 8,000 miles a year. The price of the bike + servicing + tyres + chains and sprockets + fuel comes to around £20,000. For and electric bike, there is no servicing and 'fuel' costs 1/10 of the price of petrol. So, really, you're looking at the price of the bike, tyres and brake pads... that's it! Going by my rough, back of fag packet calculations, the cost over 5 years is about the same.

Look, I'm not trying to convince you to buy one, I'm just passing on my experience and trying to allay any fears and dispel any myths. My first experience of these bikes was today and I had no preconceptions, I just like riding bikes in whatever shape or form they come in... I have a 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx, a 1988 Honda CB400 Hondamatic and a 1956 BSA B31. Electric bikes are the next chapter and will improve in range quicker than you think.
At last, someone with an open mind. A rare thing these days. Adoption of new technology often encounters resistance and a lack of imagination. In 25 years time, those insisting on driving vehicles powered by 100-200 million year old dead animals will look pretty silly (and hopefully totally anti-social). I can't wait for the 120km range electric enduro bike. Won't be all that long I reckon and I want one.
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

I’d like to see a long term test of these bikes, covering all weathers as a daily ride. It would be useful too for the manufacturer.
I’m open to change but it’s early days, a lot of unknowns and no doubt teething problems too but the initial outlay is still very expensive
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Craig-SM wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:47 am I’d like to see a long term test of these bikes, covering all weathers as a daily ride. It would be useful too for the manufacturer.
I’m open to change but it’s early days, a lot of unknowns and no doubt teething problems too but the initial outlay is still very expensive

In 2013 there was a guy on advrider that did a long-term test on a Zero DS: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/g ... rt.869280/

This was 5 years ago and the images are no longer there (because of Photobucket).

Technology has move on since then and, in another 5 years, it will have moved on again.
justrtw.com
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

For info......if you use Firefox with an extension to view PB images you can still see them, I hope this assists

:D
Will It Buff Out?

Return to “BIKES”