Electric Bikes... the Future?

The Things We Ride
Snaf MKII

Re: Electric Bikes... the Future?

Post by Snaf MKII »

catcitrus wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:44 am Personally I think self charging hybrids are the way to go-BUT--a slightly different approach than today's---back in the 70s there were experimental cars running around with battery packs and a nice quiet , constant speed and power output SMALL generator--very efficient--especially these days. The generator would chug along quietly all the time and the varying demand would be available from the battery pack.
"Chug along quietly"? We had a gas turbine hybrid powertrain car using our workshop on an airfield for testing and evaluation purposes in the 80's, every time it ran up people came out of their workshops to see what the noise was about. It was as you say efficient when running but not so when at idle. As to the future it won't/can't happen with the up coming ban on fossil fuels unless a synthetic replacement is used.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

A ban on fossil fuels for road transport is never going to happen--trucks, marine, standby generators for hospitals and the list goes on--let alone the large percentage of the population that need transport but will never afford a full electric vehicle--and the bottom line is that automotive contribution to CO2 emissions is flyshit in the scheme of things--its all about the politics of being seen to do good and also keep the automotive sector in business and making cars (at great CO2 production cost to the environment in the manufacturing process.)
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Europe's truck makers are committed to end fossil-fuel vehicle production by 2040.

Volvo Group is collaboration with Daimler Trucks on hydrogen fuel cells, and Volvo Group Daimler, Scania, and MAN are going to build a European-wide heavy vehicle charging network. DAF has already found customers in the UK for its electric middle-weight trucks.

Will it all work?

That's another question.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I did see a report recently that Sweden has 8 automated battery replacement centres so instead of plugging in your car you just swap the battery for a fully charged one.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

And all this at what cost to the planet. Digging up mother earth ( as well as oil wells) to extract precious metals which are in non abundance in some protected areas of the globe just to make the end user green, lets rip up the congo so that Mr average can say ive gone green.
If you wanna save the planet , enhance birth control so less people consume the planets

As Catcirus said , if they have to pursue this then small torquey generator with the capability to completely recharge the batteries which will result in 90% less fuel usage and no need to plug in for hours.

Thats my take:))
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Reminds me of the Avatar film scenario!----hydrogen fuel cells are a possibility BUT they are complex to make, again require precious metals, and hydrogen is both explosive and a bitch to store--it creeps through steel and embrittles it being such a small (and innocent) element!. Do you fancy a long haul truck in an accident with lithium batteries and a 100 kg of liquid hydrogen under extreme pressure. Delivery tankers are one thing but everyday and volume usage?
moto al

Post by moto al »

harley have re branded their electric bike ,due too sales ,now sold as the live wire name ,also they have reduced the price from $29.799 ,to $21.999
IMG_E2354.JPG
IMG_E2354.JPG (51.04 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
IMG_E2355.JPG
IMG_E2355.JPG (41.78 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
moto al
dave h

Post by dave h »

i can see how pcp could maybe work for electric bikes,

dave.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

£11,700 with a range of 80 miles
That seems absolutely crazy.
3 1/2 hours to charge on normal charger, fast charger over an hour
Limited space for luggage
Compare to a Forza 350 with 40 litres under storage space, 80mpg so range of 200 miles, and costing £5,400 that’s a lot of extra cash. I don’t get it.

If you were looking for an urban vehicle then a pcx125 at £3299 would be better, still has 30litres storage, and a range of 240 miles on 8 litre tank.
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
OB1

Post by OB1 »

At the end of last year, I took the plunge and put a $100 deposit on a Sondors Metacycle. It has an 80-mile range and a top speed of 80 mph. As an early bird, I was able to secure the bike at $5,000 minus delivery and registration.

metacycle.jpg
metacycle.jpg (80.43 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

Return to “BIKES”