Next bike: Super Tenere?

The Things We Ride
RH_SCOTLAND

Re: Next bike: Super Tenere?

Post by RH_SCOTLAND »

Forgot about the winglets. I have them with the Vario screen. No issues with buffeting and my bike is raised at back end with Lust racing dog links and seat set on high. I'm 6 '

I had two Caponords before S10 and they were heavier with a higher centre of gravity. I honestly don't notice the weight of the Yam.

I have farkled mine quite a lot. Happy as a pig in the proverbial with her. When I change her, it will be for a newer S10.

And no chain lube all over the bike!!!!!
Some people are alive simply because its illegal to kill them....
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

I've had mine 2yrs now and I love it, I tried a Gen1 and a Gen2 (2014 on) there is a surpsing difference but you can by a lot of fuel with the difference in price. As already said, the more you ride it the better it gets, lots of people have the ecu flashed on the Gen1, it removes the restriction on the first 3 gears and smooths out the power delivery in sport mode. High mileage doesn't bother them so if you find a well farkled one in good nick then that could be the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

thebiggestjolly wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:36 pm I test rode a 2010 super ten today. 15k miles, in good nick, happy with the price (6500ish), needs a different screen for me, but other than that pretty happy. I'm 6'5, and it seemed pretty comfy. Going to test another one, a 2013 model. More miles at 23k, same price.
Both the bikes you mention are Gen 1. They are virtually bomb proof BUT all Gen 1 models have a rectifiable defect in that the Cam Chain Tensioner wears out quickly and the engine gets noisy on start up for a few seconds before the oil pressure gets up.
During this time it is possible, in fact likely, on bikes with around 50k on them that the chain will slip and bend the valves.
These bikes need the valves checked at 24k and the cover has to come off to do this. This is the time to change the CCT for a Gen 2 version as virtually everthing is already exposed.
It is possible that the previous owner has done this already and it is easy to check. A Gen 2 CCT has "2BS" written on the top and can be checked by pulling some cables aside like this:
sized_P1050710.JPG
sized_P1050710.JPG (108.06 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
sized_P1050711.JPG
sized_P1050711.JPG (96.18 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
thebiggestjolly wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:36 pm
Any differences between the two models? Anything I should be aware of/keeping an eye out for? Other than the usual.
Differences from memory: Gen 2 has:
A bit more power
Cruise control
Aluminium side stand
No main stand (I think ?)
Uprated CCT
Uprated clutch basket (reduced vibes)
Electronic suspension (some models)
Last edited by Old Git Ray on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipy

Post by chipy »

Mine is up to 90000 now
Clocks well changed on the gen 2
And the link between the down pipes was removed
1980 rs100, 1986 DT50 mx, 1990 fj1200, 1998 zzr600, 2003 R1150r, 2007 G650Xcountry, 2012 Honda wave 110, 2014 Beta alp 4.0, 2014 Beta alp 200, 2020 xt1200z
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Differences from memory: Gen 2 has:
A bit more power
Cruise control
Aluminium side stand
No main stand (I think ?)
Uprated CCT
Uprated clutch basket (reduced vibes)
Electronic suspension (some models)
[/quote]

No centre stand as standard or heated grips (or grab handles) unless you get ES model, I got non ES and paid for them to be fitted.
fraserdog

Post by fraserdog »

Take into account that the 2013 one you are going to look with 23k on might not have had the 24k service (big one) carried out so factor that into the price.
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

fraserdog wrote:Take into account that the 2013 one you are going to look with 23k on might not have had the 24k service (big one) carried out so factor that into the price.
That's a good shout, it's a lengthy job from what I've read, also one that concerns me having someone I don't know do it, I want to pop in to see my bike in bits to make sure they did it!

herman

Post by herman »

It is only a valve check but a bit of a faff to get at. My worry is that a dealer just would not do it as these engines are renowned for high miles and at 24k they very rarely need adjusting. I can just hear the mech " sounds ok? job done". Having bought mine from a dealer that made a big fuss about giving it a multi point check and service then finding a cut wire hanging off the battery which obviously had not been touched ( no grease on terminals) There is no way I let dealers service my bikes.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

herman wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:26 pm It is only a valve check but a bit of a faff to get at. My worry is that a dealer just would not do it as these engines are renowned for high miles and at 24k they very rarely need adjusting. I can just hear the mech " sounds ok? job done". Having bought mine from a dealer that made a big fuss about giving it a multi point check and service then finding a cut wire hanging off the battery which obviously had not been touched ( no grease on terminals) There is no way I let dealers service my bikes.
Agree on all counts. Provided you follow the manual to the letter it is not too difficult. The first time I did it, I tried cutting corners on moving the brake lines etc and it was a complete bastard. On the second check I did it correctly and it was a lot easier. Allowed me to do the CCT at the same time.
No one else has put a spanner near my bike either.
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

The warranty is up on mine at the end of April and then it won't be serviced by them again, it's missing a tiny bit of paint on the frame so was in to be photographed, watching the way the mechanics were yanking at the bikes they were working on didn't fill me with confidence.

Return to “BIKES”