BMW F850 GS.....Get rid of your current bike and order one.

The Things We Ride
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Surely this has to be the best all roads travel bike for Northern European riders?
The GS800 was almost brilliant, in my opinion only let down by vibes at motorway speeds.
Rugged, reliable, economical, comfy, good tank range and able to handle rough roads easily and not overly massive. A true "Adventure" bike.
BMW have spruced the whole bike up, addressed the vibration issues and added a bit more grunt.
Adventure travel is suspended for me for the next 18 months, I'm too busy. So it's tarmac commuting only. My current Ducati 950 Multistrada is very good (although I miss the near 300 mile tank range of my GSA800) at the tarmac stuff.....but I know when normal service is resumed and I can wander off on "Adventures" I'll be swapping the Ducati for a GS850.
Earwig

Re: BMW F850 GS.....Get rid of your current bike and order one.

Post by Earwig »

Quite like the thought of the F750GS :) as nearly all my riding is on road, so having missed the launch event, I called into a well known dealer to have a look, only to be told that the first ones won't be in he UK till May. :shock:

Are BMW following Honda in the style of the AT launch :?:
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Just had an email ... the new F750GS and F850GS models are now in at Allan Jeffries .. must wonder down one lunch time and take a look :)
Q plate

Post by Q plate »

Great looking bike for sure esp if you like the look of the africa twin (which I do) tubeless rims as well but.. it's approx 25kg heavier, can just about lift my f8gs with luggage etc when dropped off road. They've also moved the fuel tank back to the wrong place. I think I'll keep the old girl for a bit longer esp as there's bound to be new model 'niggles' although I might go for a Hilltop remap for a few hundred £ should give similar performance and supposed to help smooth out the vibrations.

Regards AL
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

I had an email last week to come see the 850 so the wife and I dragged our bikes out today and took a pootle to Wollaston Bmw I have the 850 booked for when the 800 goes in for a new front wheel this week so will see what it is like then
Every day is an adventure
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Q plate wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:55 pm Great looking bike for sure esp if you like the look of the africa twin (which I do) tubeless rims as well but.. it's approx 25kg heavier, can just about lift my f8gs with luggage etc when dropped off road. They've also moved the fuel tank back to the wrong place. I think I'll keep the old girl for a bit longer esp as there's bound to be new model 'niggles' although I might go for a Hilltop remap for a few hundred £ should give similar performance and supposed to help smooth out the vibrations.

Regards AL
Are Hilltop still re-mapping? I tried them last year and was told they've packed in.
A shame if true, they always produced good results.
Africa Twin verses GS850? That desision could be down to brand preference. BMW for me, customer service and quality.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

The most ugly bike of 2018 - definite winner

Last edited by johnnyboxer on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
RandG

Post by RandG »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:07 am The most ugly bike of 2018
Just can't understand how BMW continue to make ugly bikes. I bet one of the main reasons the AT has sold so well is it's looks, granted bmw have sold millions of GS's but we all know had Ewan and Charlie rode KTM's things would be so different.
Wonkyconk

Post by Wonkyconk »

Hp2 is the only BMW I'd consider owning.
Agree the 850 is one of the most unappealing bikes I've ever seen.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

RandG wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:07 am The most ugly bike of 2018
Just can't understand how BMW continue to make ugly bikes. I bet one of the main reasons the AT has sold so well is it's looks, granted bmw have sold millions of GS's but we all know had Ewan and Charlie rode KTM's things would be so different.
Yep this new 850 GS is a real ugly Betty - whilst the Africa Twin is like sex on wheels
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “BIKES”