Husqvarna 701

The Things We Ride
daveuprite

Re: Husqvarna 701

Post by daveuprite »

Cool. Keep posting the pics. Always good to hear from a new owner, not just journalists and speculation.
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

Just came back from 1600km in northern France on and off road, my sons 701 didn't miss a beat and was awesome off road. Acceptable on road at 70mph (110km/h) or so - the bike will cruise at 80 but the wind blast will get ya!
Every dual purpose bike is a compromise but if you want to go properly off road there isn't much to touch it IMHO.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Ksithumper wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:05 pm Just came back from 1600km in northern France on and off road, my sons 701 didn't miss a beat and was awesome off road. Acceptable on road at 70mph (110km/h) or so - the bike will cruise at 80 but the wind blast will get ya!
Every dual purpose bike is a compromise but if you want to go properly off road there isn't much to touch it IMHO.
Pretty much endorses my opinion of my KTM690r.
I rode mine to Bulgaria and back 6000km. I loved it on the twisties and trails.....but despite the awesome engine it was a bit of a gruel on the long tarmac stuff......not great ergonomics for distance, little weather protection (despite aftermarket screen) not a very relaxing ride. My Tenere 660 was better at road miles.
At first the OP was considering chopping-in his GS800 for a CB500 for his long (I think 60 mile) commute and a CRF250L for trail riding. He didn't like riding on the road with knobby tyres. Instead he's put all his eggs in the Husky basket.
The Husky is way cooler than all those three bikes. But it wouldn't be my first choice for an all year round commuter bike and may be it's a bit of a handful on the trails? I'm just sayin'
Cone

Post by Cone »

Steve, Firstly – I like a challenge, the husky may be a challenge but boy its fun one!!

Secondly – ‘a handful’ I was following 250s and 450s when I went out on trail rides with the ABR and let me tell you the F800 was a handful bulksome and difficult. I had to replace the subframe once as the ground clearance wasn’t enough for a rut which twisted on the rear footpeg mounts on the Devon meet ride out.

With regard to my commute situation, we’ll see. I ride at 70 -75 on most motorways and that bike easily handles it and I only had the small BMW screen and wind blast feels identical to the BMW. I also decided that having 2 bikes was a unjustifiable expense especially as I knew I wouldn’t enjoy the cb500 bike much also (my first big bike was a cb500x in 2002 and it felt like a bit of a step backwards).
No offence to the CRFL riders but I test rode a rally and after having powerful bikes all my life I knew if I bought that I’d always be seeking more…

I took a trip down to Phils in France with a chap on a 690 who did the same fuel stops and comfort stops as I did, so the bikes are pretty similar in those ratings

With regard to tyres, ‘com ce com sa’ it is something I just need to live with and find a decent compromise, I will probably end up with a set of k60s.

But jobs change and I’m on the look out for something new closer to home ideally where I can commute by car. We’ll see….

Finally I think this debate of did I make the right decision will only be told in time. Currently the bike is fantastic as I said before handles my 60 mile round trip without issues and I am looking forward to the Taffy in 2 weeks then the ABR rally in July.
I’ll put up a post on when my next modifications get fitted which should be pannier racks and my Denali’s.

Fitting the Denali's is a bit difficult as the Husky is so narrow any where on the frame will result in one thing if you fall off - a broken led light... So i'm probably going to have to hang them from the bars.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Much clearer now Cone.....I was thinking you'd jumped in with both feet and that you be disappointed in the long term.
I'm not trying to piss on your parade, just offering my opionion by way of balance.
Our bike choices are always a compromise.....just watch your licence with that addictive Husky engine.
daryl

Post by daryl »

Cone wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:47 am I took a trip down to Phils in France with a chap on a 690 who did the same fuel stops and comfort stops as I did, so the bikes are pretty similar in those ratings
Whilst we kept the same comfort stops I'll wager that my backside suffered more than yours on that trip (from the seat you understand).

I was much happier picking the 690 up compared to the BMW though. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

It's possibly an inappropriate commuter but so what, I hope you love every minute of it. I decided the 701 was a bit too much bike for my skillset / urge to loft the front wheel, that seat height gave me a nose bleed too :lol:

Just been out on my CCM (which I happen to love riding) but commuting purely through London suburbs, I won't be getting rid of the lil CRF for that just yet
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Cone

Post by Cone »

So here is the pannier rack fitted, I’m going to fabricate some Alli plates to allow bags to be fitted.

Before you ask I don’t like how the rally raid one looks
951CD536-A0E5-423F-987B-A969EB2B0632.jpeg
951CD536-A0E5-423F-987B-A969EB2B0632.jpeg (184.62 KiB) Viewed 2055 times
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Cone wrote:So here is the pannier rack fitted, I’m going to fabricate some Alli plates to allow bags to be fitted.

Before you ask I don’t like how the rally raid one looks
951CD536-A0E5-423F-987B-A969EB2B0632.jpeg
Mmm
I have seen prettier and less bulky
Not keen on that
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

Jeez, you could hang a whole 1200GS on those, not just the panniers :D