Husqvarna 701

The Things We Ride
Hugh

Re: Husqvarna 701

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I wonder if the problem might be with the clutch adjustment. I recall somebody mentioning that they traced their problem to an overfilled master cylinder or sticking slave cylinder piston :?:

TTFN

Hugh.
tempesc

Post by tempesc »

garyboy wrote:I had clutch wear problems on my crf250l.
I changed the plates/discs Twice and had HD springs.
The Honda recommended oil also, and changed more than spec.

The problem turned out to be the rear tyre rubbing the back of the front of the swing arm.
This was due to having an oversize tyre.
It could not be detected when cold but when the tyre warmed up it was like an inch bigger on diameter.

So maybe check if any items are within an inch of the rear tyre?
Interesting observation. I did a strip down clean of my KTM before i sold it and noticed the back tyre had polished the swing arm in the same place. Wonder how common this is?
Cone

Post by Cone »

Hugh wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:30 am Greetings,

I wonder if the problem might be with the clutch adjustment. I recall somebody mentioning that they traced their problem to an overfilled master cylinder or sticking slave cylinder piston :?:

TTFN

Hugh.
Thanks Hugh but I’m not sure about this, reason being after I changed the slave after it failed and the clutch springs as it was slipping. This resolved the issue but it’s now back
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Is the slave cyclinder allowing complete clutch plate seperation from plates? As if not then wear and you have the answer...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I love these technical brain teasers, so long as they are not on my bike :roll: I had enough of that following a faulty ignition switch scenario :shock:

I dare say that you have looked through the internet but here is a selection of what might be some interesting links to checking if your bike may be subject to a service/warranty recall for a master cylinder problem, etc;

https://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/c ... vicecheck/
https://vitpilenforum.com/forums/topic/ ... nt-out-at/
http://www.husky701.com/slave-cylinder- ... varna-701/

I seem to recall Honda adding a 'rubber o ring' to separate their clutch plates and prevent drag.

TTFN

Hugh.
Cone

Post by Cone »

I did have the dreaded slave failure, the dealer told me no need to replace the oil but I have anyway although about 1k miles later due to being in france. Yes I used the right oil. Could the middle discs be contaminated in fluid?
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

The middle plates look to have been overheated, whether thats a cause or an effect i dunno, do you ride a lot of slow technical stuff?
Its a trick............get an Axe
Cone

Post by Cone »

Asgard wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:59 pm The middle plates look to have been overheated, whether thats a cause or an effect i dunno, do you ride a lot of slow technical stuff?
I do yes! Some single track lanes in south wales. Big rocky hill climbs

Or they are to me anyway!!
bowber

Post by bowber »

Even a slightly warped steel can cause clutch slip, they get worse as the heat and cool so it just gets worse.
I changed the steels in my old EXC last year, they looked fine but the clutch dragged slightly and it was a bit of a pain to put in gear, new steels sorted it.
One way to check is to put the clutch pack on a flat surface and push down on it, if it feels anything but solid then there is at least one warped disc in there.

Steve
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

tempesc wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:46 am
garyboy wrote: The problem turned out to be the rear tyre rubbing the back of the front of the swing arm.
This was due to having an oversize tyre.
It could not be detected when cold but when the tyre warmed up it was like an inch bigger on diameter.
Interesting observation. I did a strip down clean of my KTM before i sold it and noticed the back tyre had polished the swing arm in the same place. Wonder how common this is?
I would guess that it only applies where modified tyres are used .. ie anything not to the original recommended?

Return to “BIKES”