Husqvarna 701

The Things We Ride
GB

Re: Husqvarna 701

Post by GB »

I had two of them, the first was a 16, then I had the first 17 one in the uk :D the 17 plate bike is a real weapon, super smooth and power everywhere. I toured france with litre sports bikes last year and on twisty roads the 701 was awesome, I had a twalcom rally screen on and it would cruise at 90 ok, I added a rade fuel tank which helped with the range, but it drank fuel if there was a head wind. If you want to lower it talk to John at Rally Raid, they do two different ones. I really is a great bike, one of the few bikes Ive owned that I really miss. It really is a cracking dual sport bike, far better looking than the KTM690, enjoy it. I have a new extra clutch plate and post kit at home for one, if ridden hard the clutch can slip, mine never did but I never rode it hard off road.
Finally back on a GS :D
Cone

Post by Cone »

So here are my first impressions on the 701:

So it was a bit of a gamble as I bought the having never test ridden it… I pulled out as I would on my gs800 and launched a little wheelie in second with limited throttle and immediately wore a huge grin I think my first thoughts were OMG this is awesome. I suddenly felt like a hooligan!
I had a 35mile journey home from the dealer approx 60% motorway and 40% b roads and on the motorway the bike pulls like a train. In 70 and in top gear it feels faster rolling on than the BMW was and I think there is little difference in the wind blast on either bike. It considerably outperformed my expectations on the motorway.

So on the B roads and WOW what can I say… Twist the throttle in the right rev range and your stomach is seriously left behind what a fun machine. The handling is sublime in comparison to the 800 nimble and quick to turn and to sum up just FUN, the 800 just was not inspiring like this in the corners and I found the multi adjustable suspension did nothing significant to change the ride. I have thought the front brake is a bit strange, really powerful especially considering it’s a single disc but it sort of bits and releases a little so I would assume this is the new discs and pads bedding in.

I even took it out on a green lane on its first day about 1.6km long, boy that was muddy, torn to shreds by a farmers tractor, I was pretty tense but it was so much fun, I was worried about dropping it but not worried about getting stuck or picking it up.
So at the moment totally over the moon with the bike, I have had quite a good look round it and space may be an issue, I will want to plug in my heated vest, Denali lights (head light is PANTS) and some heated grips as I’m a winter wimp.
I really like how the bike looks, the finish seems very good and it is well put together, the engineering looks good on the bike. For instance I took the rear footrests off and installed the foot guards, the connections to the frame have steel inserts which I can only assume is to stop bimetallic corrosion between the bolt and the thread causing bolts to cease – BMW could learn a thing or too here – 3 bolts snapped off in my engine when removing the engine guards of my f800…

So the current mods are:

1. lowered by 40mm using rally raid link which makes the seat height equivalent to the GS (863mm)
2. Husqvarna hand guards are installed and they are a nice addition, well formed ties in nicely with the bike.
3. Husqvarna pannier racks, but there are still to turn up from Austria, hopefully they’ll come Tuesday then I’ll get them fitted. This involves drilling holes into the rear plastics as they come undrilled for the hand holds. I will check prior to fitting as I’m not using the husky bags so they need to be able to have soft bags attached to them. Once this is fitted I can buy a top rack when I know the hole locations.

So plans for the bike,

1. I definitely want the Dakar light kit but at 950 euros it’s a little steep for me – so Ill have lots of old BMW parts to sell to get my paypal balance up closer ;)
2. Range, I’m going to buy the 5.9 ltr tank that replaces the airbox which by all accounts takes the range to 240 miles
3. I could change the exhaust as the OEM one seems quite bulky – my old MiVV can looks like it will fit – bad idea?
4. I may get a comfier seat, but the original looks so cool so can just put up with the pain :D
Cone

Post by Cone »

GB wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:24 pm I had a twalcom rally screen on and it would cruise at 90 ok,
Ive searched for a screen I cant find anything. I could make my own from an old bmw one....
aliwakeskate

Post by aliwakeskate »

Good to read about your new bike. Must say, I do love those huskies.
GB

Post by GB »

I had a F800GS as well, never again. Get an exhaust can from Wings and ask for the turned down baffles. Use a giant loop coyote, saves using panniers. If you get a Rade fuel tank get a PCV and lose the SAS using a rottweiler kit. http://www.twalcom.com/home.php
Finally back on a GS :D
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I had a brief ride on a new KTM 690 Super Duke recently, with the newer engine that is now shared with the 701 Husky.

It was a total hoot. Proper little hooligan bike. Light, quick and exciting. I remember thinking as soon as I got off - 'if only someone would use this engine in an enduro-style bike'. Well Husqvarna has, and I for one would buy a 701 like a shot if I wanted a long-distance adventure bike mainly for off-road use.

The only thing I don't think I would like on the 701 is to have to reset the ABS cancellation every time you stop and start the bike. I would be looking for that particular wire with a pair of snips as soon as poss.

Hope you enjoy your new bike Cone.
Cone

Post by Cone »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 am I had a brief ride on a new KTM 690 Super Duke recently, with the newer engine that is now shared with the 701 Husky.

It was a total hoot. Proper little hooligan bike. Light, quick and exciting. I remember thinking as soon as I got off - 'if only someone would use this engine in an enduro-style bike'. Well Husqvarna has, and I for one would buy a 701 like a shot if I wanted a long-distance adventure bike mainly for off-road use.

The only thing I don't think I would like on the 701 is to have to reset the ABS cancellation every time you stop and start the bike. I would be looking for that particular wire with a pair of snips as soon as poss.

Hope you enjoy your new bike Cone.
I think that is the eu requirement as my bmw was the same. However you can buy an Dongal which you connect under the seat and it switches it all off permanently
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Yes I'd certainly be wanting one of those Donkey Dongs from Donegal.

If you're fitting throw over panniers, do you have to remove them every time you fill up? (thinking position of the filler cap).
Cone

Post by Cone »

No I'm not.

My plan is to fit Lomo bags on the side and strap each one on independant. That's why im not sure the Husky pannier frames are suitable, I may have to send them back and get the rally raid ones. but they look alot bigger and heavier that the OEM version.

Return to “BIKES”