Ducati desert sled

The Things We Ride
dubber68

Ducati desert sled

Post by dubber68 »

I have liked these for a while but only recently have I considered that they could have the potential to be a nice adventure bike. Under 200kg and with reasonable off-road potential. Not sure about luggage potential though. Would be different from the usual adv bike.

What's your thoughts.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Craig-SM

Re: Ducati desert sled

Post by Craig-SM »

A lot of retro style to it gives it charm but I wouldn’t spend nearly £10k on one. Small fuel tank, 191kg dry, no wind protection and a 19 inch front wheel. Kind of limits the bikes ability both on and off road. It would be ok running around locally on, maybe taking it down a dirt track to get to Starbucks a bit quicker.
You could have more fun on older KTM 990 Supermoto, stick some dual purpose tyres on it if you wish and spend the huge difference turning fossil fuel into smiles.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

It depends what you want to use it for. I have considered it as well as I am looking at getting a new bike.
However, apart from the problems already metioned, I have seen a lot of comments about the rear shock mount
being in the way when standing up. The biggest concern though is the fuel tank. So unless you always know you have
the ability to get to fuel whilst out riding, you'll need to carry extra.
But it is a nice looking bike, but tall as well.
scutty

Post by scutty »

According to Fuelly the Sled should do 175 miles on a full tank - I'm not sure you'd realistically need a lot more than that on a bike like the Sled?
I also read about the rear shock mount, that a few of the journalists at the launch complained but Ducati changed the mounting bolt after that feedback - are people still complaining?

I really fancy taking a test ride because, as much as I respect all the internet reviews, there is nothing better than riding a bike yourself and making your own mind up.
Fishandchips

Post by Fishandchips »

I have been drooling over the desert sled since first sight of it. Haven’t seen one in the flesh and a test ride might not be a good idea.

Beautiful looking bike in my eyes. Everything looks just right!

Let us know if you have a test ride
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

The sled is really just a thought as I search for that elusive bike to replace the sertao with as I appear to have worn it out. The tank range is similar to the sertao, so no issue there. Same with the weight. In pretty much in the same situation as others as I daren't ride it for fear of my heart ruling my head. I absolutely love the looks of it. XT500 anyone?
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

It's a bike to pose on, like all the big street-scramblers, I wouldnt say form before function, but just that style is a higher priority in these designs than other targeted niche machines no harm in that, whatever floats yer boat I think they look great.
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

HedgeHopper wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:15 pm It's a bike to pose on, like all the big street-scramblers, I wouldnt say form before function, but just that style is a higher priority in these designs than other targeted niche machines no harm in that, whatever floats yer boat I think they look great.
I would agree with regard to the standard scrambler but the upgrades on the desert sled make it at least as good as my sertao from the research I have done. Plenty of reviews seem to say the same, it's good but no enduro. Which can apply to most adventure bikes.

Morph

Post by Morph »

This one is nice;
Kevils-Ducati-Desert-Sled-4.jpg
Kevils-Ducati-Desert-Sled-4.jpg (117.55 KiB) Viewed 4324 times
http://thebikeshed.cc/kevils-ducati-desert-sled/

I wouldn't say no if my numbers came up.
The lightest piece of kit is the one you leave behind...
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

I had one on test for a week and rode some of the UK TET on it. I was disappointed in it as a 'dirt' bike. It didn't seem to have the suspension travel or geometry to really absorb too much. Great on graded compact trails no doubt, but on lumpier bumpier UK trails it just got out of shape. And they fitted it with the same wheel and tyre size as the big adventure bikes, when you think it would have been better to have gone a bit narrower to cut through the crud. I liked it though. It had a lot of charm and would make a great street scrambler and I see people who have fitted Kriega gear on the back, and Ducati do do their own soft luggage (albeit small) so you could definitely travel on one. Service costs would have put me off a bit. The big services on that motor seem horrific in terms of price; circa £700 but maybe folk have found cheaper options.
Attachments
22555669_738127309728076_3871550402315351249_o.jpg
22555669_738127309728076_3871550402315351249_o.jpg (101.15 KiB) Viewed 4309 times

Return to “BIKES”