That's disappointing

The Things We Ride
dubber68

That's disappointing

Post by dubber68 »

For a while now I have been fancying an Africa twin and the release of the new adventure sports model made that itch worse. Went to my local dealer today for a look around the new model and I must say I no longer want one. I'm 6'2 with a 34 inch inside leg and I had to have the seat on the lower setting to flat foot. Are you serious when someone my size needs a lower seat setting. The height made it a real struggle for my missus to get onto the pillion perch as well as she is only 5'4. The thing that really put me off though was the fact that there was no provision for rear luggage as far as the salesman was aware unlike on the standard model, so it seems to be either pillion or rollbag. I have no doubt it will be a good bike to ride but it just doesn't seem to fit my requirements. Think the S10 will be staying put for now.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
RandG

Re: That's disappointing

Post by RandG »

I've been eyeing that model up also but noticed the seat height looked huge and I'm only 5.9 :shock:
Trev

Post by Trev »

Seems a strange move by Honda particularly as the standard bike has a very reasonable seat height, partly due to soft suspenaion and partly due to narrow seat. I'm 6ft with 32 inside leg and easy flat foot on highest setting is standard seat. Gonna need to sort a more comfortable (likely a bit wider) so that may be more of a stretch but even so I expect balls of feet easy.

Have to say the full fatty Adventure Sport lump wouldn't be for me anyway but looks a nice way for Honda to snap up some more customers
threepot

Post by threepot »

Seat height too high!! 'Man up' ffs! Ive been riding a 96 tiger for the last 7yrs! And that's a struggle! But I Wouldn't swap it for anything!!
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

threepot wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:41 pm Seat height too high!! 'Man up' ffs! Ive been riding a 96 tiger for the last 7yrs! And that's a struggle! But I Wouldn't swap it for anything!!
I wondered how long it would take ;) . It's not that I can't ride it. I just can't see the reason for it. As for manning up why change a bike I like for something I don't think is better?
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
britt1064

Post by britt1064 »

The height of the Africa Twin seems to be keeping a lot of people from buying it. It's an awesome bike, just not feasible for most people :shock:
RandG

Post by RandG »

RandG wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:57 pm I've been eyeing that model up also but noticed the seat height looked huge and I'm only 5.9 :shock:
Well I bought the new one, tall but manageable.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

The Honda Africa Twin Sport seat is 1" lower than my KTM 640 Adventure seat, but the Honda is around 70kg heavier.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

AlanHolt wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:39 am The Honda Africa Twin Sport seat is 1" lower than my KTM 640 Adventure seat, but the Honda is around 70kg heavier.
And there lies the key...
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

Just get used to it or provide the entertainment like I do when getting on or off the 1190 Adv

Return to “BIKES”