Is the Wr250r end in sight

The Things We Ride
Mikekitts81

Re: Is the Wr250r end in sight

Post by Mikekitts81 »

minkyhead wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:57 pm
Mikekitts81 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:45 pm i have read about that around the 450 minky i looked at one the other day at ritebike in west yorkshire they have a 2003 in there stock but when i read about they seem a really animal of a bike and to much for the novice on the trails . did say many changiong the timing to think it was 2 degrees back which times it same as the yz450. alot of people say the 250 is a much better bike for the technical and trails and is alot more forgiving . theres so many bikes coming out at the minute that i have intrest in i dont want to commit to something expensive hence looking at a cheaper bike just for now beer money as one would say . i looked at the crf450x they had in at superbike factory aswell but read ups about this are similar to what i read about the 450 yamaha alot of bike for a novice . as you know yourself as you trained me and put me through my test i havent been riding on the road a long time and most of my experience before that was over fields and mx tracks but even for that i think the 450 is a little to much with what people say . i have looked at the crf250l but i think if i went that route then straight away i would be looking at doing a engine swap and trying the 300 like you have there is a cheap couple on ebay at 2500 with 20,000 miles on them on a 13 plate but with my other project iam doing i dont no if i need all the hassle . when you did your was it a straight fit engine in and out with new ????
i dunno what you want proper mike ..if it a trail bike/enduro and you have 2500 you have some options ...daves picked up a 450 husky for1500 quid and it rides really well and its quick for sure ..but usless for weekends on the road and trail .. ..husky 250s ktm400s 525s
rare now drz even ? theres pleanty of options and the drz is at least up to some roadwork without any worrys but its gearbox isnt the best ,,

if you want to travel and put milage up without servicing concerns ?? tough one

690s and 701s are way above budget

drzs dr350s ttr 250s xr650s are aging and becoming rarer by the week a ccm 644 with the dr650 lump in is a sideways move and if you could find a minter ..not messed about with i would consider one of them .....
but in all cases your buying ten to 15 year old bikes and 15 year old wiring hoses rims ect ....

after that newer were left with the klx250 and the crf ....theres a 351 kit available for the klx which should wake it up nicely but as you a big unit like me the suspension will be far too soft especially with luggage fitted

the crfs have bore kits too but reliability reports on them is not clear some do well some do not ,,,by the time you have arsed about your in to half the cost of a 300 engine ...
for generel trails the suspension can be made to work surprisingly well 300quid yss shock and some fork springs make it work much better than folks who have never riden one would beliive ...very acceptable after its done
engine take a day ..its more hassle soldering /extending wiring ..but its easy enough to do
31 hp motor with 6 speeds give a 1st gear that will climb anything youi point it at and 6th a all day true sat nav 70mph cruising speed it is better in that respect than a lot of choices and the fueling is faultless

service intervels are huge and between the two them ive well over 1000 hours up with zero faults nowts broken fallen off or failed .. its hard to quantify on paper but ride one 200 miles over mixed roads tracks and trails and you will find its way way more practical than you imagine youd not get anywhere any quicker on the 660 unless you went down a morway and nailed it ..even then you wouldnt gain much ...ive done portsmouth in 4.45 hours from wigan ..no bother

if you would like a braaap on mine somtime pm me

keep well
thanks for the other minky that would be great but again iam stuck as its finding time to do anything with work the kids and the wife opening her new shop ... iam barely having time to sit down and rest at the minute ... i havent worked on any of my bikes in weeks and when i do get time iam shattered from other commitments ... i think i find it hard cause like ive seen in many different posts there just isnt a bike that will tick every box the 690 and 701 i did look at but on pcp they only really do the supermoto versions that ive seen and i think 8,500 is a bit to much to buy a bike in enduro spec to take over feild to trash it every week , besides i have my eye on over bikes so i was looking at the 450s for a play thing really trails green lanes and just pocket money amounts nothing in the 1000s to much . i did see i ccm in warrington a few weeks ago that was around 1600 but then on closer inspection the bike was a r30 that had been converted with all the 644 plastics wheels etc ... i keep looking but nothing as said to me yet this is the one maybe its just me being fussy. speed isnt to much of a thing to be fair the 660 tops out at 100 which was 0n ptrivate land its more getting off road for me driving on it all time up and down country is enough
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .

Return to “BIKES”