I feel like l have committed a sin!!

The Things We Ride
lancashirelad

I feel like l have committed a sin!!

Post by lancashirelad »

Towards the end of last year I bought a 2008 Serow without having seen it in the metal, when it arrived it was a good un now I must admit to not riding it much but I can't take to it even though everybody else seems to love em? I think maybe I'm to big for it? Anyway the hunt is on for its replacement CB500x? NC750x or maybe back to my favourite bike a Tiger 800?
My trouble is I never know what I want!!
image.png
image.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 3356 times
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
AlanHolt

Re: I feel like l have committed a sin!!

Post by AlanHolt »

Can you explain why you can't get on with it, so you can find the right bike next time? I find the Yamaha engines quite docile, which makes them easy to live with, but a little boring compared to something like a KTM. However they are a nice ride, comfortable, reliable. I only replaced my XT600 because its was just a bit underpowered and a bit low, the KTM is only 8hp more powerful, but the way it delivers it is far more enjoyable. My girlfriend loves riding her TW200 off-road, but hates taking it on the road because she struggles to make progress.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

It's the on road progress that bothers me I guess I didn't give it enough thought, needs more thought when you only have room & money for one bike.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Thats the same problem with my girlfriend and her TW200. She wanted small, light, nothing too powerful without thinking about the road bits you sometimes have to do on them. And to be fair, that was my only major gripe with the XT600.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

The trouble is you need horses for courses, I wanted to try trail riding, a Serow is perfect but I bought one in that good condition I cant bring myself to throw it at the scenery!!
I should never have sold my Tiger 800 I did all the offroading I needed on that to be honest, now I'm semi-retired I cant justify a new one mine was 3yr old only had 7K on it!
I went from Tiger 800 to TR5T, to CCM SR-40, to Serow 250, next move will be a BSA Bantam!!!
I really need to test ride things more instead of making rash decisions!!

Off to look at SWMs on ebay!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

probably best to get 2 bikes 8-) 8-)

I tried the `one bike do it all` thing, and if my ex TTR600 had not been so vibey it may well have dun it for me.
but it wasn't particularly excellent on the road, over say 65
and wasn't particularly excellent on trails due to weight (and height, for short me)

one bike for tarmac .. with road tyres on 8-)
one bike for trails .. with knobblies on 8-)

you can always squeeze another bike in :lol:

tax is not much more, insurance is the main wotsit .. but monthly is not too bad.

ps .. if a bike looks too perty to drop on the trails .. ride it anyway :D
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Wow ... back off from the self flagellation dude, we all buy the 'wrong' bike from time to time but ultimately it will help you get the right bike.
You now know what you don't want and hopefully know what you want the next bike to do ....... which is waaay more important than the badge on the tank .......... afterall when it's left under a cover in the garage it might aswell be a Honda Melody
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

garyboy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:33 pm probably best to get 2 bikes 8-) 8-)

I tried the `one bike do it all` thing, and if my ex TTR600 had not been so vibey it may well have dun it for me.
but it wasn't particularly excellent on the road, over say 65
and wasn't particularly excellent on trails due to weight (and height, for short me)

one bike for tarmac .. with road tyres on 8-)
one bike for trails .. with knobblies on 8-)

you can always squeeze another bike in :lol:

tax is not much more, insurance is the main wotsit .. but monthly is not too bad.

ps .. if a bike looks too perty to drop on the trails .. ride it anyway :D
Exactly my situation.
My 950SM was getting too heavy to move around and the road riding I now do didn’t do it justice so I sold it and my 400EXC and bought the 690 enduro but a few days in Wales and a short lived weekend in Wiltshire showed it was a chunky thing for trickier terrain at my ability level. It was ok on our relatively easy East Sussex lanes, which blinded me a bit.

On to the 690 go Mitas E07 tyres for a great back lane scratcher that still looks a bit ruff and tuff and into the bike shed comes the Husky FE450.
Double whammy and double the fun rather than tiptoeing on the 690 on knobblies or struggling with the weight on gnarly lanes.
I do need to try and uprate the 690 front brake though as it’s a bit weak for road use.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

If you do decide on a CB500X, I've a nice one that will be available for sale. 2016, 6500 miles, still with warranty, around £3500. Please pm me if interested.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

Thanks for the offer I need to test ride one first going to give it some thought this time round :D

Return to “BIKES”